Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #1

2017 377flik seams drafty

First time in it while it's cold outside it's about 28 degrees outside have furnace running as. Well as fireplace it's warm enough I guess but I can feel cold air I've felt around but can't seem to locate source is this normal
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

We have a 2017 389rd and it is alot more drafty than the sierra 2013 we had.

We cant even sit in the livingroom because of the cold floors and the cold windows.
The furnace is making heat as well as the fireplace and i have two heaters as well.
I assume these are not made to use when its cold outside.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #3

We had the A 2012 366FL and had the same issue. Look under the couches and see if there are holes in the floor where wires come up. We plugged those holes with some foam and problem solved. Hope this helps.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Locate source of coldness / drafts

I had a similar problem in my TT.. I took a InfaRed thermometer camping with me and just pointed the beam wherever it felt cold.. Didn't take long to locate source of cold drafts.. In my case they were around the bottom of refrigerator, open power access behind microwave, and plumbing pipe openings in slide out kitchen.. expanding foam and clear caulking made a a world of difference once I found the culprits..
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
I had a similar problem in my TT.. I took a InfaRed thermometer camping with me and just pointed the beam wherever it felt cold.. Didn't take long to locate source of cold drafts.. In my case they were around the bottom of refrigerator, open power access behind microwave, and plumbing pipe openings in slide out kitchen.. expanding foam and clear caulking made a a world of difference once I found the culprits..

X2. They're relatively cheap ($30 at Harbor Freight). I also use it at rest stops to spot check tire temps & hub temps (good for spotting an overheating bearing).

But, as mentioned, just point it at areas that look like maybe something comes in from outside including cabinets & drawers that back up to the basement area. You'll also get cold air from around the furnace return vents when it's not running but, don't cover those up, they NEED to be there. If it's really bad, you may be able to insulate the basement side of the furnace area but, keep in mind, a certain amount of unobstructed room must be maintained around the furnace or it can overheat & shut down or worse. The owners/installation manual will give specs. on how much room is required around the furnace.

BTW, we use 2 1500 watt space heaters + fireplace (1 in bedroom, 1 in kitchen & fireplace in livingroom) & are comfortable (68-70 degrees)without the furnace. Just watch what else you turn on if using all three, you might have to turn one off to make coffee etc. Make sure all your windows are shut/sealed tight. Shut the bedroom door if not using it. The only times we have had to use the furnace regularly is when it was windy and below about 15-20 degrees.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote