Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #21

If you cannot trip nor reset the GFCI, then either of 2 conditions are present.1 you still have some sort of ground fault (hot leg to ground or 2 your GFCI has failed.I would start troubleshooting by unplugging everything you have on any of the circuit's outlets, thren try resetting againagain with supply power on. If you still cannot reset the GFCI, chances are that the unit is defective. As a last test, power off, pull the Load side hot wire out of the GFCI, re-energize the source and try to reset again. If it holds, you have a connection between hot & ground that is passing just enough current to trip the unit....usually just dampness that can be wiped off from the backside of outlets. I also recommend using a blow dryer or small space heater to dry them out even better than wiping. I recall woring on a household GFCI that would trip as soon as energized due to a spider web inside one of the outlets. Remember, the GFCI is designed to trip when there is about 0.001 amps of current between the ground wire and the 120V hot wire. I hope this helps you diagnose the issue a bit more easily. FYI, I am a licensed electrician and a Lead Electrical Engineer with the Local Electric Utility for the last 37 years. .......... Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #22

I had exact problem

I know this will be really dumb. I had this exact problem and after I installed new GFCI outlet I still had no power downstream. I forgot to read the fine print on the box that told me exactly where the hot wires went. When I put them on the correct screws it reset. Double check if the hot is the correct terminal. Good luck. Btw I got an electrician friend who figured it out
Lodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #23

I just went through the same scenario, I dried out my outside outlet and everything worked again. I had washed the unit the day before and it took me 2 weeks to figure it out. (with a lot of tips from the forum group!)
tshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #24

I have had a lot of experience with GFI circuits, Swampy is spot on with his post use it! Lodie is also on the right tract. Line is line load is load. Wiring a GFI circuit is dependent on line and load. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #25

GFCI outlets are vulnerable to wear and tear too so expect your outlets to be less effective over time. One of the symptoms of an overused GFCI outlet is that it trips more than usual. This is because a worn out GFCI outlet is not able to adjust to the electric current variations as well as a new one. For this reason, when you use your outlet for outside lights, hair dryers or a heater your GFCI outlet is prone to tripping. In order for you to solve this problem, simply get a new GFCI outlet. Make sure the power is off to that circuit and follow the enclosed installation instructions. Make sure the connections are tight and the ground is not coming in contact with the black or white wire when reinstalling the GFIC in the outlet box.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
I have had a lot of experience with GFI circuits, Swampy is spot on with his post use it! Lodie is also on the right tract. Line is line load is load. Wiring a GFI circuit is dependent on line and load. Good luck.
X's2 on these post, if it were me I would just buy a new GFI outlet, and install it. I have had GFI's that would not reset in my house they just went bad. If the new one will not work then you have an outlet problem down the line somewhere. That could be just from a loose connection. So start with a new one they are CHEAP and go from there if it resets problem sovled if not then and use Swampys advice...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparke11 View Post
I had my outside lights plugged in to my only outside GFI outlet and after some rain/wind, now all the GFIs are not working. Dealership said to replace the lead GFI in the front bathroom since pushing the reset button did nothing. I replaced the outlet and still nothing. The test/reset buttons don't do anything. I have 120v coming in but nothing coming out (according to my voltage reader) on the outlet I just replaced. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I have a feeling water got into the outside outlet and shorted something somewhere along the entire right side of the camper.
We used to have a power pole in the north woods with a GFI receptacle on it,,, over the years I had to replace it several times,,, finally I replaced it with a regular receptacle !!! GFI was code !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #28

quick observation. My GFCI will not reset with power off. So if you're turning off power for safety ... pushing reset. .. turning power back on to check if all is good .. the GFCI might not ever reset. like others suggest, with power off, take the hot wire (black) off the outside outlet and be sure not to touch it; turn on power and see if the bath GFCI will reset and test it. Let us know what you find. BTW outside outlet w/cover are weather resistant not weather proof.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
X's2 on these post, if it were me I would just buy a new GFI outlet, and install it. I have had GFI's that would not reset in my house they just went bad. If the new one will not work then you have an outlet problem down the line somewhere. That could be just from a loose connection. So start with a new one they are CHEAP and go from there if it resets problem sovled if not then and use Swampys advice...

OP stated in post #1 & #10 that he has already tried replacing the GFI outlet in his bathroom.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparke11 View Post
I had my outside lights plugged in to my only outside GFI outlet and after some rain/wind, now all the GFIs are not working. Dealership said to replace the lead GFI in the front bathroom since pushing the reset button did nothing. I replaced the outlet and still nothing. The test/reset buttons don't do anything. I have 120v coming in but nothing coming out (according to my voltage reader) on the outlet I just replaced. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I have a feeling water got into the outside outlet and shorted something somewhere along the entire right side of the camper.
Kparke11: did you ever get your electric back, and what did you fine and do to repair the problem. Curious minds would like to find out
Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Cruces View Post
GFCI outlets are vulnerable to wear and tear too so expect your outlets to be less effective over time. One of the symptoms of an overused GFCI outlet is that it trips more than usual. This is because a worn out GFCI outlet is not able to adjust to the electric current variations as well as a new one. For this reason, when you use your outlet for outside lights, hair dryers or a heater your GFCI outlet is prone to tripping. In order for you to solve this problem, simply get a new GFCI outlet. Make sure the power is off to that circuit and follow the enclosed installation instructions. Make sure the connections are tight and the ground is not coming in contact with the black or white wire when reinstalling the GFIC in the outlet box.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote