Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

2nd A/C Unit advice.

I have 2011 39' Sandpiper 356RL. Need advice on what type and brand of bedroom AC unit to put on? Heat strip or not? Is it worth doing myself or having a dealer do it? The unit is pre-wired. What other parts may be needed besides the unit?
skueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

When we had out 2012 sandpiper built we had a 2nd ac added. I would go to a dealer & get some prices. The dealer knows what they are doing & has done it before. I'm not sure this is something I'd want to do myself, drilling holes etc in my roof. Their is just too much that could go wrong. But that's just my opinion. I'd just shop around & see, I'm pretty sure the ac's the factory installed on mine were both dometic. Hope this helps!!! :-)
Gone but not 4 gotten
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #3

It may be just me but I would have a dealer put it in. Reason to heavy to get on the roof and I would more than likely dril a hole in the roof where there should not be one.

You will need a thermostat also. I do not know if factory pre wires for that.

You should check the height of trailer when hooked up to truck. Make sure you have enought room to stay under the 13' 9" . This may require you to get a low profile unit most likely in the 1300btu area.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

if one feels comfortable with #1 and #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skueter View Post
Is it worth doing myself or having a dealer do it?
let's see here
should we call this installation major
no
but
this will be a serious job here

#1 the Tec (if you yourself)
should at least be a fair mechanic
there will be some precise measurments made
drilling and cutting (in all the right places)

#2 at the very least
a general understanding of electricity
fuses, (proper) wiring sizes etc etc

if one feels comfortable with #1 and #2 above
after some study regarding the work at hand
should not be much of a problem
if not comfortable
probably best to farm the work out
and be grateful
that I did not make that mistake

how it usually works
fact
can not beat a man at his trade
if we call an RV repair shop
ask them the prox hours for install
they say 3 or 4 hours
that means for us the common man
5 to 8 hours maybe ??????

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

after a little more investigation

have found out some rigs

are pre wired for a second unit

maybe a first thing to check ?

MB

Instructions

Things You'll Need
  • 1 roof-mounted RV air conditioning, 115v 1 ceiling assembly Panel mounts Mounting bolts Connecting wires Drill Wrenches Screwdrivers Sealant
Suggest Edits
  1. <LI class=section>
    • <LI class=step>1 Select a good location on the roof of your RV that will fit your rooftop air conditioner. You want a spot that is strong enough to support it and doesn't have any obstructions such as lights in the ceiling below it. The edges of the air conditioner should be at least 8 inches away from the edge of the roof.

<LI class=step>2 Cut a square hole in the roof big enough to fit the connections between the roof portion of the air conditioner unit and the ceiling portion of the air conditioner unit. Make sure you measure it precisely. Mark the locations where the mounting bolts will go as well.

<LI class=step>3 Mount the roof portion of the air conditioner unit over the hole you have made. Secure it with mounting bolts at the locations you have marked

<LI class=step>4 Install the bolts in the interior of the RV that hold the ceiling unit in place. Then mount and secure the ceiling unit.

<LI class=step>5 Apply sealant to the points on the roof where the air conditioner meets the metal if you wish.

<LI class=step>6 Connect the wiring to their proper locations in the ceiling unit. The wires should be coded by color, allowing you to match each one with its proper corresponding wire (black to black, white to white and so on)

<LI class=step>7 Plug the ceiling unit connector into the roof unit.

• 8 Turn on the power supply to the air conditioner.

• 9 Turn the air conditioner on.

Read more: How to Install RV Air Conditioners | eHow.com How to Install RV Air Conditioners | eHow.com
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

OK, here is how it works. If the unit is pre wired for a 2nd AC, it will have a roof vent, and that is where the second AC goes. The second AC must have the fan and thermostat switches in it, so there will be no wall thermostat. You will need to remove the roof vent, and clean thoroughly, then clean it again. Once the vent is removed, you find an electric wire, and may have a make a short jumper, to get power to the AC unit.
The unit is heavy, and will need help getting it on the roof. Put down some cardboard, from the box on the roof for protection. Set the AC over the vent hole. Will need one on the roof to pick and move for alignment, one in the trailer doing the alignment. Four long bolts, one in each corner, DON"T OVER TIGHTEN!!

Once it is in, connect power, install covers, and test.

WARNING, do not cut any holes in the roof for an AC. The vent is where the AC goes, and it has the built in supports to hold the weight. Also the vent is where the pre-installed factory wiring for a 2nd AC is going to be. Also you will scaffolding, you will never carry that AC unit up a ladder. It's about 150 pounds, and if you are 200 pounds, tou may exceed the weight rating on the ladder. Good Luck, and stay safe.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Forgot to add, if the unit is truly prewired for the 2nd AC unit, it will 50 amp service, 4 prong plug. You can buy and adapter and still stay where there is 30 amp service, just can't run the 2nd AC unit on 30 amps. As for brand, get the same brand you have now, but it will be a different model number, since you need the controls in the AC, (no wall thermostat), and you won't be running it through ceiling ducts. It is usually for the Master bedroom only.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #8

We have a Palomino Sabre 32 RCTS with one Dometic 15,500 BTU A/C in the living area and it is already wired for one in the bedroom with a second wall thermostat. On a very hot day the one A/C is not enough even if we duct the air to the bedroom area. Any suggestions on what size A/C to put in the bedroom? We do travel south to Georgia and would like it to be cool inside on a hot day. Thanks!
Jenrnfnp is offline   Reply With Quote