Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

365 saq heater questions

I have a 365 saq 2012. My problem is that the rear bunkhouse gets very hot and the master bedroom stays cold. There is very little hot air coming thru the register in the master. I put adjustable vent covers on the bunkhouse in the living room. Any suggestions???
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

There is a good possibility a section of duct work has come apart. you may need to remove the belly covering to find out where.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

It boils down to where they put the furnace. They have changed it on newer models by moving it into the wall behind the basement to get more air to the front. However you can do as I did. I went to Home Depot or Lowe's(can't remember which), taking one of the bunk floor registers with me. I bought the type that you can close off that were the same color and size of the ones that came with it. Once installed, you can close off most of the air coming out of the rear vents and it will force more air out in the master. I also put one in the kitchen area for the same thing. It has worked very well for me as I can control the amount of warm air in the back and get more in the front.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

As Golfmedic stated they moved the furnace into the basement area under the bathroom now and in my 2013 its the exact opposite the front bedroom roasts and the rear bunk room is chilly. As I stated in the 365 weight post I have to laugh to see how FR does very little R and D it seems that all corrections and repairs are reactive to customer complaints. The initial designs are not much more than prototypes released on the public to try out. Now that there have been complaints of the tv cabinets getting to hot and the bunk house being to cold, they moved the furnace location and now the heat transfer is just the opposite another trial and error fix left for the consumer to test out.
Anyway a replacement floor grate with a damper from Lowes or HomeDepot in the bunk room should help to force some heat up into the master. However with the furnace on you should check air flow to make sure the duct work is intact in the under belly. Also I would only restrict one outlet at a time as not to overheat the furnace or aggravate the tv cabinet overheat situation.

Good Luck
Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the info. I know the duct work is not unhooked. This is because everyone had the problem and this is the second 365 I have had with the same problem. It was interesting to hear the problem with the new heater placement. I wonder if the guys who design and build these things ever use them. They do some crazy designs. Another minor annoyance with this rv is that the outlet for the lights outside are are the top of the rv. You need a tall ladder to get to it and it has no switch.
With the heater I will just put a small portable heater in the master and move on since there is no fix. I went to the rv dealer and got 2 vents for the bedroom and livingroom. I closed them off and it made no difference in the bedroom. I think the run from the unit is to far and they probably need 2 units in this rv.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

I saw the outlet up top on the outside while at my dealer the other day. The only thing I can think of is they put it there for awning lights. But like you say, have to have a ladder to get to it. Mine is down near the water connection and the other is down between door and storage compartment. Both accessible until you put up awning lights, then the cord gets it the way of the storage area door on the front one.
I would have the dealer trace the duct work from the furnace to the bedroom as there should be some kind of blockage, kink or something stopping the air flow. Once my registers were in, I got heat where I needed it.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Golf medic

Did you out a new vent cover in your master bath?
The electric outlet up high should have a switch so you don't need a ladder to unplug your lights every night. I went to the hardware store that sponsors #48 and got a dimmer plug that hangs down so I don't need a ladder after its plugged in. Just my way of fixing it!
Love the unit
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

The 2013's do have a switch for the outside high rectp. now, it's inside next to the led entertainment center light switch. But whats crazy is they put the kitchen light switch inside the control panel cabinet. So you have to enter a dark camper and open a glass cabinet door and feel around the main control panel to turn on the interior lights, more knuckle head engineering.
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
Golf medic

Did you out a new vent cover in your master bath?
The electric outlet up high should have a switch so you don't need a ladder to unplug your lights every night. I went to the hardware store that sponsors #48 and got a dimmer plug that hangs down so I don't need a ladder after its plugged in. Just my way of fixing it!
Love the unit
I am not sure what you are asking. I installed a MaxxAir cover for the Fantastic Fan on top for the bathroom. I did not change the fan itself, just put a cover over it so I can leave it open. If you are talking about the white skylight?, No I didn't change it. I just got tired of all the heat coming in through the skylight in the summer, so I cleaned it on top, and painted it with gloss white Krylon Fusion spray paint. It lets light in but keeps most all of the heat out! Very cheap and easy fix. Plus will keep it from yellowing so fast.
See, Still lets in the light. But very little heat and cools the camper off dramatically.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #10

I was talking about replacing the vent on the floor to one that you can control the air volume when the heat is on. Also after you replaced the heat registers to ones you can control do you feel a good amount of heat coming out of the bedroom vent??
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #11

Sorry, yes I did replace the bathroom register with one that closes. When we restricted the rear ones, it put a lot of heat in the bathroom. So I put one in there as well. And yes, with all of them being restricted(not cut completely off) there was considerably more air going into the bedroom. I then, bought one for there as well, that way I can direct the heat to the area we are going to be in for the time being. It really gets warm in there now that we can direct the heat as we need it. Sorry for misunderstanding your original question.

Tags
365, 365 saq