Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

371 REBH (Hot Water Heater)

Does my unit (hot water heater) run off of propane OR electric ?

Right now, I'm plugged in to shore line, flipped the switch by the water lines to 'on', have propane tanks open... it took a couple hours (last night) but I now have hot water.

So, question1:
Is my hot water heater running off propane? And do I just leave the switch 'on' 24/7 ?

Q2:
Can it run off of electric? If so, how to do that?

Many thanks !
lalaposhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Post the make and model number of your water heater and we can answer your questions.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaposhi View Post

Right now, I'm plugged in to shore line, flipped the switch by the water lines to 'on', have propane tanks open... it took a couple hours (last night) but I now have hot water.

So, question1:
Is my hot water heater running off propane? And do I just leave the switch 'on' 24/7 ?

Q2:

Many thanks !

If you hit the swith inside the water heater itself that is the electric heating element in the tank. No gas will be used.

If you hit the switch in your command center labeled hot water than thats the gas side of it.

You can run both at the same time to give you a faster recovery.

Make sure you turn the electric switch back off in the water heater when done just so you make sure it wont burn the element out.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

What Brad said. And you can wire in your own switch to put in your panel so you don't have to open that silly door constantly turning the water heater on and off. I thought it was weird they didn't put a switch inside. So for about $30 in parts I wired one in. I got the 110v lighted switch that is the same size as the slide switch. You can get the the 12vdc switch if you don't want 110 in the panel, it costs about $50 instead of the $6 for the 110 and you have to add in a relay if I remember right. 110 was the cheaper way to go so that's what I did. Here is my thread on that, I added pics and the part number of the switch I bought from Grainger. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-99282.html
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop249 View Post
What Brad said. And you can wire in your own switch to put in your panel so you don't have to open that silly door constantly turning the water heater on and off. I thought it was weird they didn't put a switch inside. So for about $30 in parts I wired one in. I got the 110v lighted switch that is the same size as the slide switch. You can get the the 12vdc switch if you don't want 110 in the panel, it costs about $50 instead of the $6 for the 110 and you have to add in a relay if I remember right. 110 was the cheaper way to go so that's what I did. Here is my thread on that, I added pics and the part number of the switch I bought from Grainger. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-99282.html

Yea thats a suburban thing. Its been like that for years.

Atwood has the electric/gas switches inside but i guess if they csn save 5 bucks they do.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Yea thats a suburban thing. Its been like that for years.

Atwood has the electric/gas switches inside but i guess if they csn save 5 bucks they do.
My last unit had an Atwood furnace and the WH had both switches inside so I imagine it was an Atwood then too. That made perfect sense to me rather than having to open that door non stop. 1 slip up of forgetting to turn it off and it being dry and within a couple seconds that element is toast. With the switch inside you have to look at it to open or close your slides, turn on the lights, turn on or off the inverter, roll out the awning, turn on the porch lights, shrimp gumbo, shrimp kabobs, peel and eat shrimp, popcorn shrimp....... Man I love that movie!
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
My last unit had an Atwood furnace and the WH had both switches inside so I imagine it was an Atwood then too. That made perfect sense to me rather than having to open that door non stop. 1 slip up of forgetting to turn it off and it being dry and within a couple seconds that element is toast. With the switch inside you have to look at it to open or close your slides, turn on the lights, turn on or off the inverter, roll out the awning, turn on the porch lights, shrimp gumbo, shrimp kabobs, peel and eat shrimp, popcorn shrimp....... Man I love that movie!

Yea it was too easy!
Thats my first name so i know that movie all to well. Its the number one for me!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
You can also save the $30.00 and just turn the circuit breaker for the WH off.

And just a pet peeve of mine, it is a Water Heater, NOT a Hot Water Heater. If the water were already hot you would not need to heat it, would you?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

And just a pet peeve of mine, it is a Water Heater, NOT a Hot Water Heater. If the water were already hot you would not need to heat it, would you?

It depends on when your talking. The water will be hot after it runs so Hot water heater [emoji12]
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

Lol me too. If you notice I said water heater...... I thought about the breaker but then again that's not in the control panel that you open every time you set up or tear down. That to me is worth the $30 to have it convenient and "in your face" as a reminder to turn it on so there won't be cold showers and turn it off so you don't blow the element and have to take cold showers.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

So, question1:

Q2:

Many thanks !
Howdy lalaposhi, there are several brands and types of water heaters that Forest River uses in their Rv's. Some are tanks style, and they even use tankless types.

The part of your post that I emboldened in red, is kind of a new one to me...and am not sure what switch is near water lines. Are you sure of the terminology used there?

None of the water heaters should take a few hours to heat the water, either using propane, and electric heating element, or both.

Until you can share some more information on the brand and type of water heater you have, all the advice given is just guesses...and may or may not help your situation.

Here is just one other guess, that concerns the Suburban brand, tank style water heater...as this FAQ explains the operation of:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #12

I would think that the switch is on the outside so you wouldn't forget to turn it off when you drain water heater
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #13

My "WAG" is since it is a Sandpiper 371 REBH it has a "Docking Station" and that is where he is referring to the water lines and the switch! Using either method to Heat the water should NOT take 2 hours even if 10 Gal! Youroo! !
Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #14
Myaamia

Water heater

Quote:

So, question1:

Q2:

Many thanks !
My water heater was unplugged from factory! I had to open up the storage area, remove walls and crawl in to the reach the plug.
2015 Sierra 371REBH
B&W Companion 20K
Leathernek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater