Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

381 RBOK, AC sucks.. Is this possible

I have a two month old 381 RBOK, and I've done everything I can to get the internal temp to where I need it to be. I have two babies that nap at 1pm every day in southern Louisana weather, so 80-82F interior temps isn't an acceptable level.

My rig is 50amp, with two ACs. The bunk room has a vent/skylight that I will never use. It also has hookups for washer/dryer that I will never use. There is a 20amp breaker for the washer/dryer.

Can a 3rd AC be installed in place of the vent? Roof weight of the unit is 72lbs. Will it support that? Can it be wired to the 20amp breaker for the washer/dryer? The unit I'm looking at is a 13.5kBTU Brisk II (same as my front AC). I want to install it with just a dump vent in the bunk room, and a thermostat on the rear wall of the bunk room.

It all seems like it would work to me, but don't know for sure.

Has anyone done anything like this? How much would a dealer charge? Is it an overly crazy DIY job for someone that does all their own household work?

Thanks
jetsg4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

First thing to do is remove the inside cover on your A/C and make sure there are no holes where cool air is leaking into the ceiling. Then take out your front most and rear most vents and cram a towel in the end of the duct, this prevents air from going only God knows where. I even pulled all my vents and retaped them. This will greatly improve the volume of air coming out of your vents.

Your roof vents need to have a vent pillows put in them to reduce heat load

We just added reflextic, think the name is correct, to all of our windows. Purchased at Lowe's. We can easily remove and roll up if I needed. This has made a big impact on keeping our unit cool.

With the above mods I can now cool our 43' fifth wheel to 76° in direct sunlight in Alabama's 96° heat and 1000% humidity

Good luck
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

I've done all of those things except unbolting the main unit from the roof to check the sealing there. It's the recessed unit so I can't access from the inside.

I read somewhere they had some Brisk units that were low on coolant from the factory and I'm starting to wonder if I have one of those units. I definitely have that unit, but it hasn't been checked.

82F when it's 95F outside doesn't seem right to me with both units going, and having it at 65F during the night.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #4

The Brisk Airs that are of issue were built in 2014. I had my main 15000 BTU unit replaced under warranty in May. Dometic sent a mobile technician to do it. My 13500 BTU unit is also in the same group bit is working great. My tech recommended I purchase the five year warranty on the 13500, he said it's just when not if it will self destruct.

The compressor self destruct on these units so you will have zero cold air.

I would ad a third unit if needed. They fit in the standard 14" roof opening. Pull the inside trim, there may be wiring for it already. Your 50 amp service should run three A/C's with no issue. I personally would hire a mobile tech to install it though.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsg4 View Post
I've done all of those things except unbolting the main unit from the roof to check the sealing there. It's the recessed unit so I can't access from the inside.

I read somewhere they had some Brisk units that were low on coolant from the factory and I'm starting to wonder if I have one of those units. I definitely have that unit, but it hasn't been checked.

82F when it's 95F outside doesn't seem right to me with both units going, and having it at 65F during the night.
If you sun coming on through the windows you might want to try blocking that as well - reflectix does work well here too. Not sure how your rig is built - I would think you have enough insulation and what not to keep the cool from escaping that quickly.

To your other point on how the A/C units are performing - have you check the temp coming out of the main vent. Might pop the cover off and measure outbound and inbound - you could be sucking your cold air straight in due to a leak.

I know the back unit will freeze us out in the day but the front builds up all of the heat and sometimes will get to 80 or more in the very front. Now realize we have a MH with all that glass up front - we did put up some reflectix that helped a whole lot.

You know the other thing I thought of was buying a little portable unit - especially when our rear A/C went out and we rough'd it for 6 weeks, not wanting to put the MH in for service due to the down time.

So how does it do at night when the sun goes down? Cold, cool? ?

Hope all of these suggestions helps. Let us know.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

It doesn't feel like the main AC is doing much. The air is cool, but definitely not the volume it should be. When the front AC kicks on, which is a smaller unit, the output feels like it quadruples.

Anyone ever checked the sealing of the intake/exhaust on the recessed/quiet setups? I'd have to go from the top to get to the area, and have never moved a rooftop AC before.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

I too had problems with my ac. I just bought a 2017 389rd.

I took every vent out and taped the duct to the vent so no cold air would go anywhere but in the living quarters.

I also found both yes both ac units not connected to the duct work.
I taped all the ducts directly to the ac units and it made a big big difference. I pulled the quick cool off the roof to gain access to the ducts.

I now have to much air in th bathroom and bedroom and alot of air pressure in the kitchen and living room. I have added tap to the back side of the vents to throttle the air going in the bedroom and bathroom because it is so much cold air.

Triple check your ac ducts as mine wasnt hooked up rather blowing inside the ceiling attic.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #8

I forgot to add that my whisper quiet system has 5 return vents that was done at the dealer for the new update that are putting out.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
I forgot to add that my whisper quiet system has 5 return vents that was done at the dealer for the new update that are putting out.
How did you check the taping of the whisper quiet system since you can't check it from the interior?

I've done the front AC already, but not the main unit.

I've already had the additional return air vents installed.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

I took my unit off the roof and got to it. Its just 4 lag screws ran into the support of the roof and it lifts off.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #11

Im debating on adding two more vents in the kitchen area to remove so much air volume up in the bedroom and bathroom. There is only three vents between the two ac units.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #12

I haven't been particularly unhappy with mine, but added some pipe to the returns after reading here. I also taped the ducts and blocked the front and rear.

Things were going about as usual last week at Ocean Lakes. 95 outside, 76 or so inside. This was with the front unit cranked down to 60 and a fan blowing from the front bedroom.

On Saturday, the main AC turned off. It took a couple of minutes for it to register in my head that something was wrong. I checked the thermostat and it was showing the inside temp as 32 degrees. I still haven't found out what it is for sure, but after running the fan on high for about 10 minutes the compressor kicked back on and the inside temp read correctly. In my mind, it is either low on "freon" or the air is mixing near the unit. I'm gonna remove it sometime and check it out.

We have considered adding a third unit, and saw a few Sandpipers at the beach this past week with ACs in the rear position. That lends me to believe that they are braced for them in that area. The wiring may even be there.... Who knows.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #13

That would be good to know as well if the wiring is there. Not sure how u can tell or how to get it there if it aint.

I guess one could use the fireplace outlet and breaker since its on a seperate circuit.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #14

How many vents do yall have between the two ac units? I have 3 two in the bedroom and 1 in the bathroom. I have alot of volume of air in those three compared to the rest of the camper.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:52 AM   #15

Quote:
How many vents do yall have between the two ac units? I have 3 two in the bedroom and 1 in the bathroom. I have alot of volume of air in those three compared to the rest of the camper.

Same for me.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Old 08-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Same for me as well.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I haven't been particularly unhappy with mine, but added some pipe to the returns after reading here. I also taped the ducts and blocked the front and rear.

Things were going about as usual last week at Ocean Lakes. 95 outside, 76 or so inside. This was with the front unit cranked down to 60 and a fan blowing from the front bedroom.

On Saturday, the main AC turned off. It took a couple of minutes for it to register in my head that something was wrong. I checked the thermostat and it was showing the inside temp as 32 degrees. I still haven't found out what it is for sure, but after running the fan on high for about 10 minutes the compressor kicked back on and the inside temp read correctly. In my mind, it is either low on "freon" or the air is mixing near the unit. I'm gonna remove it sometime and check it out.

We have considered adding a third unit, and saw a few Sandpipers at the beach this past week with ACs in the rear position. That lends me to believe that they are braced for them in that area. The wiring may even be there.... Who knows.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

I'm waiting on FR to respond. The first time I had my unit in for warranty they "found a freeze sensor that had popped out of it's holder". It was in because it isn't cooling correctly. Mine didn't ever shut down like yours though.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #18

Well im back to adding a third a/c. After letting my unit set overnight no ac i turned it on today around 11am. It was 96 here today and the camper wouldnt cool but to 79. That is with the tape and all the ducts connected.

Has anyone figured out anything about adding a third ac? I think the brisk air two will work as zone three on the ccc2.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

FR has really done a poor job addressing this issue. There are many other threads about the same issue. I have a 2016 365SAQB and experienced all the above. I am pretty handy so fixed most of it myself. The dealer will measure your Delta Temp. Intake vs, output. Should be about a 25 degree differential. A lot of the Brisk Air II models are not properly sealed and I also found huge gaps where the duct work connects. I taped everything, sealed the gaps, covered the skylights with reflective covering, and can maintain 76-78 inside with direct sunlight in Florida Summer Heat.

I too toyed with a 3rd 13500 but unit. I searched and found a thread where he added an additional 30amp circuit, breaker box, and outside 30amp shoreline to the rear of his Sandpiper. Was a very clean and effective install with about $1000 involved. A portable AC would be much cheaper however you will need to find a way to run the exhaust from the unit.

Go to the main page for modifications and search 3rd AC install
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDavis View Post
FR has really done a poor job addressing this issue. There are many other threads about the same issue. I have a 2016 365SAQB and experienced all the above. I am pretty handy so fixed most of it myself. The dealer will measure your Delta Temp. Intake vs, output. Should be about a 25 degree differential. A lot of the Brisk Air II models are not properly sealed and I also found huge gaps where the duct work connects. I taped everything, sealed the gaps, covered the skylights with reflective covering, and can maintain 76-78 inside with direct sunlight in Florida Summer Heat.

I too toyed with a 3rd 13500 but unit. I searched and found a thread where he added an additional 30amp circuit, breaker box, and outside 30amp shoreline to the rear of his Sandpiper. Was a very clean and effective install with about $1000 involved. A portable AC would be much cheaper however you will need to find a way to run the exhaust from the unit.

Go to the main page for modifications and search 3rd AC install

Could you link is to the thread? I have been searching with no luck. I find the search feature disappointing on the site.

Thanks

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet