Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

Backup camera

Can anyone tell me best cam for money I want to monitor whats behind me always
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Team

A hard wired camera is the best to have. However, they're not always feasible and there are some good wireless systems out there.

I have a TadiBrothers wireless unit that works well, but I did have to remote mount the antenna on top of the unit because it wouldn't 'see' through the aluminum back wall of our RV consistently.

I won't say that it's the best or even in the top few, but it works reliably with the antenna above the roofline.

Depending on the model of your RV, you may be able to get away with a very inexpensive unit and it preform wonderfully.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

A lot of people say voyager or Furrion observation camera
Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A hard wired camera is the best to have. However, they're not always feasible and there are some good wireless systems out there.

I have a TadiBrothers wireless unit that works well, but I did have to remote mount the antenna on top of the unit because it wouldn't 'see' through the aluminum back wall of our RV consistently.

I won't say that it's the best or even in the top few, but it works reliably with the antenna above the roofline.

Depending on the model of your RV, you may be able to get away with a very inexpensive unit and it preform wonderfully.

I just received a wireless taxi brothers system. Model ends in 013 which is the one they suggested for our 379flok rig. Still a little shaky on drilling and adding the camera for rear view. No good instructions for installing and don't want to give ourselves self inflicted problems. Is it really as simple as they say?
Buckeye853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
"On the road again"

I have the Furrion Observation Camera (our Cardinal was "pre-wired" for this brand) and it's pretty decent. I've never seen any other camera on an RV, so it's hard for me to compare. But, compared to the backup camera in our Ford car and trucks, it's somewhat lacking in quality.

When backing down our driveway with a lot of trees and shadows of leaves/limbs, etc. it can be a challenge to distinguish everything.

When running down the road, it's great for checking before changing lanes, etc.

But, at night in a rainstorm as I discovered last Sunday night...it's a pure distraction and I turned it off. All the swirling rain made it impossible to see anything and it was a distraction I didn't need.

I've only had mine for a couple of trips, so I'm still adjusting to it - but basically glad I have it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #6

I installed an inexpensive e-bay in my old Mirada. Worked great. later I replaced the wireless transmitter and ran a coax to the monitor. The wireless was interfering with the TPMS sensors.

Rear View Camera – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

On our New-to-Us Southwind, I replaced the original Panasonic B&W cam and monitor with an inexpensive color camera and monitor.

Rear camera replacement and rear LED work-light – 1999 Southwind 35S
Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye853 View Post
I just received a wireless taxi brothers system. Model ends in 013 which is the one they suggested for our 379flok rig. Still a little shaky on drilling and adding the camera for rear view. No good instructions for installing and don't want to give ourselves self inflicted problems. Is it really as simple as they say?
It's probably not as simple as they want you to believe, but it's pretty easy.

I built a bracket that mounted to the stove vent cover screws and ran a plastic cable cover down the back to get to power under the RV.

If you wan to take a picture of the back of your RV someone can probably give you an idea of a good place to mount the camera.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's probably not as simple as they want you to believe, but it's pretty easy.

I built a bracket that mounted to the stove vent cover screws and ran a plastic cable cover down the back to get to power under the RV.

If you wan to take a picture of the back of your RV someone can probably give you an idea of a good place to mount the camera.

Thanks, put it in center on top
Buckeye853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #9

At $300 or more, the Furrion system my TT was pre-wired for is too expensive. I made my own for under $75. I got a wireless transmitter, video cable and camera from Amazon. Ran the wiring in the belly and I use my iPhone as the monitor. It works perfectly. Hit me up if you want a parts list.
stealth908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

We found one on the internet when we first started fulltiming but can't remember the brand. Has a seven inch monitor with several features like fade for bright sun, brighter for dark, contrast, audio, and reverse the image. Came with two cameras, all wire, two mounts for cameras, and dash mount for monitor. Had help from a friend who installs high end after market stuff in vehicles for install, one on the SP and one camera high up in back of the tractor cab. I don't use it for backing as I trust the DW for that. Sorry about not knowing the brand but monitor says rvs systems in small letters.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM   #11
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

We had a wireless Tadi Bros on the last TT. It worked ok until we got in heavy traffic where there was too much interference. I moved the transmitter (not the camera) to the tongue bolted to the LP tank clamp. That helped a lot.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth908 View Post
At $300 or more, the Furrion system my TT was pre-wired for is too expensive. I made my own for under $75. I got a wireless transmitter, video cable and camera from Amazon. Ran the wiring in the belly and I use my iPhone as the monitor. It works perfectly. Hit me up if you want a parts list.
I tried this and gave up on it going with the furrion for the TT. I am curious what parts you used as I would like to try a different solution. The one I had cut out too frequent to be useful even at 20ft.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

FYI: there are two different Furrion camera models

model # with a 12 is a back up only lower priced model

model # with a 48 is a true observation camera and has much better reception and picture quality.

koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth908 View Post
Of course we want a parts list.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote