Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrieau View Post
I have heard that the only tire still made in USA is Carlile.....
Geez I hope not. I had 3 out of 4 of those blow on one trip to Myrtle Beach on my Cherokee. Carlisle did pay to replace all 4 so I bought Goodyear Marathons.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #22

My Carlisles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0423.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	7483  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. But wouldn't it be cooler if they were all made in the U.S.A.?
Sadly if that stuff was made in the USA we would not be able to afford them, as their price would be prohibitive.

Cooler does not sell, price does.

If tires were spec'd better, then they would be better. I suspect they are not well spec'd.

China will make excellent products when asked to. Apple products are a great example.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Sadly if that stuff was made in the USA we would not be able to afford them, as their price would be prohibitive.

Cooler does not sell, price does.

If tires were spec'd better, then they would be better. I suspect they are not well spec'd.

China will make excellent products when asked to. Apple products are a great example.
Don't forget Apple Products are all engineered in the U.S.A.. All China does is build them. I think the care that goes into the Apple construction is due to the fact that the overseers at the Chinese Apple factories are American Apple Engineers.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #25

lfugate: hard to believe your tires ended up in a terrible mess and they looks almost new. It is very scarry. I will take a close looks on my TRIANGLE tires. So far they are okay but it realy makes you thinking what will happens if !!!!!!!!!!!????????
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #26

Are all Duro tires made in China? I don't see any made in listing on mine.If so what signs ,if any,should I be looking for that would signal they are about to fail?
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Are all Duro tires made in China? I don't see any made in listing on mine.If so what signs ,if any,should I be looking for that would signal they are about to fail?
My Duro tires, 6,000km on them and through one winter on the dealers lot looked good on the sidewalls. A close inspection showed cracks between the treads, right at the bottom. Maybe this is why they throw the treads??

I replaced them with Goodyears and upgraded to a 'D' load range. The tire store techs were really surprised at the weight difference between the old and new tires. The new being substantially heavier.

The Duro tires that came with the trailer were never balanced either. I took it for granted they would have been.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #28

I just took a look at my Duro tires,they don't have any weights on them so they don't appear to be balanced either.Could this be why when we are first starting out on a trip they seem to thump for a few kms as if they have flat spots? On the plus side I can't see any cracks at all in them yet and they are a D tire.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
I just took a look at my Duro tires,they don't have any weights on them so they don't appear to be balanced either.Could this be why when we are first starting out on a trip they seem to thump for a few kms as if they have flat spots? On the plus side I can't see any cracks at all in them yet and they are a D tire.
You are one up on me as mine were 'C', I think pushing the limit. I doubt you would feel an unbalanced tire on the trailer, unless you were riding in it. If you are feeling a flat spot on the tire then that is probably what it is; doesn't happen often is summer though. I would sure get them balanced though.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
lfugate: hard to believe your tires ended up in a terrible mess and they looks almost new. It is very scarry. I will take a close looks on my TRIANGLE tires. So far they are okay but it realy makes you thinking what will happens if !!!!!!!!!!!????????
Tires were on a 2003 TT with very few miles and they all blew on a 7 hour trip back from Myrtle Beach in 2005. Very frustrating day . The worst part was I ended up having to leave the TT on the side of the interstate near Savannah on Saturday until I could get some tires on Monday and get back. TP was checked the day before we headed back.

Carlisle didn't act suprised at all when I told them about 3 blowouts in one day.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #31

flat tire on way home...could it be the tires

just came back from myrtle beach with my 2012 365 SAQ. just got the unit last week and on my way home I just did clip the "S" hook on a bungy cord and about an hour later that tire had went flat.

Do you think this would have happend with goodyear tires or is it because of the factory tires I have....should I look at investing in some goodyear tires? I just ask about them because that is what i had on my other camper and had no problems.
Spencer Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote