Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

First trip out, Very Disappointed

left Thursday night to go camping at place in MO called Johnson Shut ins. Couldn't get full hooks but had electricity. Got backed in as night fell and thats about all that went right

B4 backing in, we filled the Water tank. DW was checking to see if it was full. Sec it hit full, water was turned off. Noticed that we were leaking a ton of water and it was running down the fresh tank drain line. (BTW, anyone know where the overfill valve is?) some insulation seems to be hanging from the hole where the line comes through

So we ran out of water on Saturday morning (36 hours). Know what you call a camper without water? a Big Heavy Tent. We have made it 10 days with 30 gallons, so it wasn't our water usage

Thursday night - Saturday at 5pm, we got 3 inches of rain and it was 45-48 degrees. There was a kink in Furnace vent that we hoped contributed to the lack of hot air in the bedroom. That was not the case. The vent cover doesn't even get warm with the amount of air getting to it

Sunday when we started to hook up, as I was adjusting the height of the camper, i could hear water running in the seams between the front cap and sidewalls. It drained into a large puddle near the front landing gear, where the bottom of the front of the camper and the sidewall met. very unhappy at this point

to add final insult to the camping weekend, the grey water valve doesn't seem to hold water and when i released the cap on the camper.. I was given a shower from the knees down in grey water.

Now I know i bought my camper 9 hours away, but I did it since it was the one the DW wanted and Forest River discontinued my model. I called the closest Sandpiper dealer and they said they were booked until June at least. and since i didn't buy from them, they aren't willing to work on my Camper. (this is the same place that I tried to but from previously and they didn't want my money)

DW is now convinced that we made a major mistake buying this camper. If momma isn't happy, no one is happy.

just heard from Forest River authorizing me to take to any dealer for estimate
Old 04-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

On the plus side FR is talking to you, just think how impressed your wife will be when everything fixed.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Site Team

that's why it's always advised to do Camp Driveway before actually going camping.
that way you can make sure everything works before you make a trip.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

we did, we camped in the dealers lot overnight and then camped two days going home. We tested that the water pump worked in PDI, but since then then only used water hooked up to city water. The furnance issue is on me.

the valves for the sewer, we were hooked up to the pipe so the water would have drained away anyways.

The leaking of the water in the cap, not sure how I would have ever found that in my driveway
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #5

"BTW, anyone know where the overfill valve is?"

Should be right there in the control panel. It will have a rounded top and a squared bottom. You may also want to see if the tank drain valve is shut completely. It should be under the camper near the control panel.

Keep looking for dealers that will do warranty work. I heard that BS from 2 of the dealers I contacted but 2 others didn't care at all.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #6

if its the thing black thing here on the left. then it never overflowed. i know the valve is not draining because i replaced all the caps with drain valves. It was in the off position and i checked it twice. water was running out on the outside including stuff that looked like insulation

make that the bottom, can rotate the pic for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	135801  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
if its the thing black thing here on the left. then it never overflowed. i know the valve is not draining because i replaced all the caps with drain valves. It was in the off position and i checked it twice. water was running out on the outside including stuff that looked like insulation

make that the bottom, can rotate the pic for some reason
Yes that is your overflow. Sounds like you have a ruptured tank or line somewhere.

Your drain lines only had caps and not valves? My 16 has valves.
Nights Camped: 2010 = 14/11 = 27/12 = 13/13 = 10/14 = 30/15 = 47/16 = 30/17 = 21/18 = 11
chop249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop249 View Post

Your drain lines only had caps and not valves? My 16 has valves.
Def had pex crimped caps. I cut the crimps off with my Dremel tool and put valves on the weekend before last
Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #9

Check along the frame rail for another dump valve handle. You most likely have one open that you haven't found yet. Had that happen to me.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

we only have one grey and one black tank. Both handles are located along the frame after you unscrew a hand pass through

would there be others?
Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
we only have one grey and one black tank. Both handles are located along the frame after you unscrew a hand pass through

would there be others?

I'm not sure on your model. My "hidden one" was just past the rear axle. Of course I have 2 black and 2 grey tanks. I thought that most SandPipers had at least 2 grey tanks (one for the galley and one for the bathroom). I could be mistaken though.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's why it's always advised to do Camp Driveway before actually going camping.
Bought my 5er at CW in Myrtle Beach. Took off for FL ~~ 750 miles on the maiden voyage. Only problem was Atwood sent a tech to the CG for a furnace adj. Granted, best to camp near the dealer for a day or 2 but this is the 2nd new one bought there and long trip for the maiden voyage. The 1st ha zero problems.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Exactly. We take our fifth wheel on a "shakedown" trip to a state park that is one hour, ten minutes away a few weeks before we start our actual camping season. That way you can find out if anything has broken over the time since you last used it.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #14

Sorry for your bad first outing. Hopefully, you will get everything fixed soon and will have many good times afterwards.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
Broken Toe

Damn Craig... And I know how much you two have been looking forward to your new 5'ver. What dealer did you go with? (PM me if you don't want to air it out on the forum)

Keep us up to date on what happens with it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Damn Craig... And I know how much you two have been looking forward to your new 5'ver. What dealer did you go with? (PM me if you don't want to air it out on the forum)

Keep us up to date on what happens with it.

Tim
Tim, thanks man. We were planning on ordering one locally until Forest River stopped making the model.

Since that occurred, we found 3 that were still around. One was in Fl with camping world. One was in Oregon and the other in WV.

talked to Camping world 1st cause I wanted to go to Florida. They added enough to the cost of the camper in fees, etc that I wouldn't even consider. The one in Oregon was really far away and i didn't get a good feeling from the dealership. I asked for recent pic of camper, they never sent etc

Hometown RV in Buckley WV called me right back and seemed interested in working something out. They sent 30 pictures or so of it sitting in the lot that day, (sales person had a newspaper in hand for date verification). Talked about trade value for the mini lite and Pam and decided to try and sell if first. We sold it to the first couple that looked at it. We probably could have asked more, but we needed to sell it and we got alot more than we would have received in trade, so it all worked out

My issue right now is not Hometown, they have been wonderful to deal with. We had a sofa issue that showed up. We are being sent a brand new sofa. They sent a door part when the wood panel fell off due to the plastic trim breaking. I replaced the part after adding some liquid nails.

No one in STL wants to work on this. The only Sandpiper dealer in the area, 47, they flat out refused since we didn't buy it from them. I have been told by 2 other places that they don't do FR warranty work because they don't get paid.

Byerly in Eureka MO will look at it, but it may be mid June. So basically, no camping for Anniversary or Memorial Day.

basically, i just want some to fix the water tank issue, so i can use it until June. If I could haul it back to the factory in June I would.

Sorry venting here. Just really frustrated
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Tim, thanks man. We were planning on ordering one locally until Forest River stopped making the model.

Since that occurred, we found 3 that were still around. One was in Fl with camping world. One was in Oregon and the other in WV.

talked to Camping world 1st cause I wanted to go to Florida. They added enough to the cost of the camper in fees, etc that I wouldn't even consider. The one in Oregon was really far away and i didn't get a good feeling from the dealership. I asked for recent pic of camper, they never sent etc

Hometown RV in Buckley WV called me right back and seemed interested in working something out. They sent 30 pictures or so of it sitting in the lot that day, (sales person had a newspaper in hand for date verification). Talked about trade value for the mini lite and Pam and decided to try and sell if first. We sold it to the first couple that looked at it. We probably could have asked more, but we needed to sell it and we got alot more than we would have received in trade, so it all worked out

My issue right now is not Hometown, they have been wonderful to deal with. We had a sofa issue that showed up. We are being sent a brand new sofa. They sent a door part when the wood panel fell off due to the plastic trim breaking. I replaced the part after adding some liquid nails.

No one in STL wants to work on this. The only Sandpiper dealer in the area, 47, they flat out refused since we didn't buy it from them. I have been told by 2 other places that they don't do FR warranty work because they don't get paid.

Byerly in Eureka MO will look at it, but it may be mid June. So basically, no camping for Anniversary or Memorial Day.

basically, i just want some to fix the water tank issue, so i can use it until June. If I could haul it back to the factory in June I would.

Find an independent repair person and get approval for repair from FR, then pay up front and submit bill to FR for reimbursement.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #18
Broken Toe

Quote:

I really wish FR would drop the hammer on dealers with the "you didn't buy it from me" mentality. Its really hurting the whole industry. I find it funny that dealers are months out on fixing things. I have yet to see an RV dealer with more than half his bays full.

Have you called Bill Thomas? They are a primary FR dealer (Byerly is not) and they might be able to give you some help. Middletons down in Festus has a pretty good service rep too.

Good Luck!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I really wish FR would drop the hammer on dealers with the "you didn't buy it from me" mentality. Its really hurting the whole industry. I find it funny that dealers are months out on fixing things. I have yet to see an RV dealer with more than half his bays full.

Middletons down in Festus has a pretty good service rep too.

Good Luck!

Tim
I had forgotten about them, but I called them and they only do Warrenty work on Forest Rivers that they sell
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #20

I had the same issue with water in my front cap. Climb on top of your FW and look at the seams on each side where the cap meets the side. They did a really poor job of caulking or used poor quality caulk. Strip the old caulking off and reseal. I had to reseal around 18" on each side. Have not had any water in over a year now. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170426-185646.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	136021
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote