Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #1

Inverter

I have a 2016 Sandpiper 343RSOK with a residential refrigerator. The inverter is not working. Can anyone tell me where the inverter is located?

Thank You
TWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #2

Since no one else has replied, we don't have your same unit, but have seen most inverters are located in the same place. Most are located in the same compartment as the batteries.

Just curious, what is it not doing? Are you batteries fully charged?
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Not sure I can help but if your boondocking your batteries will drain pretty quickly. If you are on shore power then check the breaker on the power pedestal and the breakers and fuses in the power distribution panel.

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Also check the circuit breaker on the outside near the tongue of the trailer. It is a small breaker between the battery and a junction box around the hitch area or under the front of the trailer. The positive wire comes from the battery to this breaker. There is a small reset button on the breaker.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

I just looked up your 5er, look in the bay area where your batteries are for a battery disconnect and the small circuit breaker I mentioned before. Be sure the battery disconnect is not turned off. The inverter should not be very far from the battery, usually inside the battery compartment, under the bed, in the bottom of a nite-stand, or inside the bottom of a cabinet/closet.

Here is some reading to help you understand things in your RV. The ones in red will help the most.

Disclaimer: These links and articles were compiled by wmtire. He is a site team member of forestriverforums (FRF). If you give thanks, then give it to him. I had nothing to do with gathering the information, I’m just passing it along.

“I always recommend these following links to newer RV owners. It explains a RV's different electrical systems, as well as what works off of 120 volt AC vs. 12 volt DC. Not knowing your RV experience, The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.” - wmtire

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

More reading so you understand the different electrical systems of your RV.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home:

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

Propane Cylinders (Refilling vs Exchanging)

Propane automatic changeover regulator
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #6

Inverter

My inverter is under my steps. From basement you pull the first wall panel down and it's right there.

My model is a 317REBH
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #7

I have a '16 Piper. For some reason the wired the inverter to a battery disconnect style switch on the forward wall of the basement. It does not disconnect the battery.... it disconnects the inverter. Make sure it is on. Also, make sure the switch on the panel is on (that one is obvious).
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I have a '16 Piper. For some reason the wired the inverter to a battery disconnect style switch on the forward wall of the basement. It does not disconnect the battery.... it disconnects the inverter. Make sure it is on. Also, make sure the switch on the panel is on (that one is obvious).
You are correct. We agave a 16 343rsok with the inverter disconnect switch. After a conversation with forest river we found out the battery disconnect switch only kills the inverter. They have fixed it in the 17 model. They had the dealer wire it to turn off the whole system under warranty.
spaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Mine is wired same way (15' 371REBH).. when my converter blew both fuses (thinking power surge) my batteries stayed charged through the inverter as it puts out some voltage.. I may even suspect this backfeed to have caused the fuses to blow on converter.. So I leave it disconnected at the battery switch until I disconnect from shore power or have a power outage. The inverter has 120v coming in to it and 12v supply and one 120v output. Odd it have 120v input .. I should research the model..

I had just figured the disconnect was there to isolate the inverter..
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter