Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #1

Low Satellite Signal At TV

2021 379FLOK
Hello All,
I again need to tap into the brain trust FRF for some help.
When I connect my coax cable from my Dish Tailgater through the main satellite connection in the wet bay, I get a low or poor signal strength. When I run it up through the slide out and connect it to the receiver itself it works perfectly.
So, you guys think it is one of the coax ends, (at the wet bay or at the wall) or you think it is a bad cable somewhere between the wet bay and the main TV area?
Thanks for any replies.

Glenn
sparky986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #2

Bad wiring. I have a 2021 39BARK and satellite will not work through the coach cables. I ran new cable from the connection in the wet bay to outlet behind the TV and all is well.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Probably too many splitters along the coach line. A dedicated coax with no splitters/extra connectors is the answer.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #4

So I ran my coax cable from the dish up through my slide and to the Dish box, and it is perfect. Now do I take it them when the season is over and have them do the warranty work?
sparky986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky986 View Post
So I ran my coax cable from the dish up through my slide and to the Dish box, and it is perfect. Now do I take it them when the season is over and have them do the warranty work?
If they will do it for warranty work..GREAT.
If not "fish" a new cable yourself.
I'd do it myself.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #6

I've helped many friends get their satellite coax working in their RVs. I am usually successful using the existing coax w/o having to run a new direct line.
I have found disconnected cables, bad cable ends, loose connections, cables run or labeled incorrectly, and incorrect splitter or too many splitters.
Most connections and splitters are behind the coax faceplates. Sometimes you have to do a little exploring and remove all the access panels to find them.
I try to remove all the splitters and replace with coax nipple connector. I always replace the splitters and connectors with HD/satellite types. 1 splitter can be used if it is satellite rated and power pass through.
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

Lots of talk about splitters and such but the OP said he was connected to the main satellite port in the wet bay. Should be a straight shot to where the receiver is connected. Maybe it's not a dedicated satellite port but park cable in which case I don't think he would just get a low/poor power signal strength indication.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Lots of talk about splitters and such but the OP said he was connected to the main satellite port in the wet bay. Should be a straight shot to where the receiver is connected. Maybe it's not a dedicated satellite port but park cable in which case I don't think he would just get a low/poor power signal strength indication.
However, there is no guarantee that the cable is connected to the correct outlets. The labels may be reversed on the sat and cable ports or the wires connected to the wrong ports, same result. Usually different cables are color coded so if the cable connected to the SAT port in the wet bay is purple, then look at the SAT port inside and see if the purple cable is connected to it. Of course that is still no guarantee that the purple cable is actually for an exterior TV connection and has a splitter in it somewhere.

Also, unscrew each F-Connector and make sure there isn't a shield wire wrapped around the center conductor, and make sure that the center conductor is at least even with or protrudes slightly beyond the edge of the screw on part of the fitting. Then make sure the F-Connector is screwed tightly back onto the barrel type receptacle.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
However, there is no guarantee that the cable is connected to the correct outlets. The labels may be reversed on the sat and cable ports or the wires connected to the wrong ports, same result. Usually different cables are color coded so if the cable connected to the SAT port in the wet bay is purple, then look at the SAT port inside and see if the purple cable is connected to it. Of course that is still no guarantee that the purple cable is actually for an exterior TV connection and has a splitter in it somewhere.

Also, unscrew each F-Connector and make sure there isn't a shield wire wrapped around the center conductor, and make sure that the center conductor is at least even with or protrudes slightly beyond the edge of the screw on part of the fitting. Then make sure the F-Connector is screwed tightly back onto the barrel type receptacle.
Yes, this seems like the kind of first posting that should be addressed toward the OP.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite