Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Outdoors
Posts: 72
Low Satellite Signal At TV

2021 379FLOK
Hello All,
I again need to tap into the brain trust FRF for some help.
When I connect my coax cable from my Dish Tailgater through the main satellite connection in the wet bay, I get a low or poor signal strength. When I run it up through the slide out and connect it to the receiver itself it works perfectly.
So, you guys think it is one of the coax ends, (at the wet bay or at the wall) or you think it is a bad cable somewhere between the wet bay and the main TV area?
Thanks for any replies.

Glenn
sparky986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 2
Bad wiring. I have a 2021 39BARK and satellite will not work through the coach cables. I ran new cable from the connection in the wet bay to outlet behind the TV and all is well.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,512
Probably too many splitters along the coach line. A dedicated coax with no splitters/extra connectors is the answer.
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite (with tons of Mods)
2022 F250 Lariat Super Cab, 7.3 gas w/10 Spd Xmsn
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1282
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Outdoors
Posts: 72
So I ran my coax cable from the dish up through my slide and to the Dish box, and it is perfect. Now do I take it them when the season is over and have them do the warranty work?
sparky986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky986 View Post
So I ran my coax cable from the dish up through my slide and to the Dish box, and it is perfect. Now do I take it them when the season is over and have them do the warranty work?
If they will do it for warranty work..GREAT.
If not "fish" a new cable yourself.
I'd do it myself.
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite (with tons of Mods)
2022 F250 Lariat Super Cab, 7.3 gas w/10 Spd Xmsn
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1282
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 8,298
I've helped many friends get their satellite coax working in their RVs. I am usually successful using the existing coax w/o having to run a new direct line.
I have found disconnected cables, bad cable ends, loose connections, cables run or labeled incorrectly, and incorrect splitter or too many splitters.
Most connections and splitters are behind the coax faceplates. Sometimes you have to do a little exploring and remove all the access panels to find them.
I try to remove all the splitters and replace with coax nipple connector. I always replace the splitters and connectors with HD/satellite types. 1 splitter can be used if it is satellite rated and power pass through.
Good luck!
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,665
Lots of talk about splitters and such but the OP said he was connected to the main satellite port in the wet bay. Should be a straight shot to where the receiver is connected. Maybe it's not a dedicated satellite port but park cable in which case I don't think he would just get a low/poor power signal strength indication.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Lots of talk about splitters and such but the OP said he was connected to the main satellite port in the wet bay. Should be a straight shot to where the receiver is connected. Maybe it's not a dedicated satellite port but park cable in which case I don't think he would just get a low/poor power signal strength indication.
However, there is no guarantee that the cable is connected to the correct outlets. The labels may be reversed on the sat and cable ports or the wires connected to the wrong ports, same result. Usually different cables are color coded so if the cable connected to the SAT port in the wet bay is purple, then look at the SAT port inside and see if the purple cable is connected to it. Of course that is still no guarantee that the purple cable is actually for an exterior TV connection and has a splitter in it somewhere.

Also, unscrew each F-Connector and make sure there isn't a shield wire wrapped around the center conductor, and make sure that the center conductor is at least even with or protrudes slightly beyond the edge of the screw on part of the fitting. Then make sure the F-Connector is screwed tightly back onto the barrel type receptacle.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
However, there is no guarantee that the cable is connected to the correct outlets. The labels may be reversed on the sat and cable ports or the wires connected to the wrong ports, same result. Usually different cables are color coded so if the cable connected to the SAT port in the wet bay is purple, then look at the SAT port inside and see if the purple cable is connected to it. Of course that is still no guarantee that the purple cable is actually for an exterior TV connection and has a splitter in it somewhere.

Also, unscrew each F-Connector and make sure there isn't a shield wire wrapped around the center conductor, and make sure that the center conductor is at least even with or protrudes slightly beyond the edge of the screw on part of the fitting. Then make sure the F-Connector is screwed tightly back onto the barrel type receptacle.
Yes, this seems like the kind of first posting that should be addressed toward the OP.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lite, satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.