Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

need help with fuses, lights and fridge

Hi! I am new to all of this. I bought a 2005 sandpiper toy hauler and there are a few things I need help with. I was wondering if there is an image of the fuses and what they lead to out there. The previous owner had a 25 fuse in slot 5 ( the 1st 3 are empty with no connection to them) There were no bulbs in the slide out lights with the glass bowl type cover but the rectangular plastic cover light had a bulb and was working. When I put a bulb in the light with the glass bowl type cover one, the 25 fuse blew causing the one plastic hexagon light on the slide to also not work and the carbon dioxide monitor lost power as well. I replaced it with a 25fuse thinking better replace it with what was there... and tried again and it blew again. I put in a 15 and the plastic light is working and I haven't tried the bulbs again yet. Thought Id better see what fuses exactly should be in there, what order they should be in and if theres a diagram as to what they control 1st. The previous owner has 15s, one 25, one 30 and then off to the side there are two 30s together. Also the fridge only works on LP not on shore power if that is also somehow connect?? Any help would be appreciated! Trying to get this figured out asap.
RvAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Site Team

There are no diagrams, fuse plumbing wiring, or other for our RV's. Unfortunately you're on you own trying to figure out what circuit powers what.

What bulb did you use in the dome style light? They usually take a 1142, but it could be different. Can you post a picture of the lamp socket so we can see the contact arrangement?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

Hi thank you for your reply. I didn't think I would hear back until today. You are right. the lamp socket has two points of contact. I ordered the type it calls for 1076. The previous owner had some halogens that have one point of contact so thats probably why the fuse blew.

later tonight when I am able to post a pict of the fuse panel I will. I am concerned because the previous owner has 15s, 25, 20s, and 30s in place. A friend told me he thinks only 15s are supposed to be there however, I read online, a 25 should be in place as well to protect the converter? Like I said I don't know much about this. I just want to prevent a fire.

The last issue is that the fridge works real well on LP... but not on AC. I checked the power plug for power and there is power. I also checked the fuse connections and changed them just in case, heating element connection is also good on both ends, and it still won't cool down. The gfi in the bathroom was tripped and I just reset it and am trying again. If you have any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Again, thank you so much for your help.
RvAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Pretty much everything except the slide and reverse polarity fuses should be 15 amps. The LP detector is usually 3 or 5 amps. The slide fuses are normally 30 amp and the reverse polarity fuses can be either 40 amp or 25 amp. Reverse polarity fuses are usually in the power pane but not inline with the other fuses. A lot of times the slide out fuses aren't in the power panel, but in some RV's they are.

The fridge not working on AC could be a bad element or a blown thermo fuse. The thermo-fuse looks like a metal diode and it's buried in the wiring near the flue. There's also a thermal fuse that has a reset button. It's mounted on the flue itself.

Tags
fridge, fuse, light