Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

New 372lok - major electrical issues

Purchased our new camper in Ohio at Holman Motors on June 9 and took it on a 10 day vacation to the coast of Alabama. We had no issues at all. Came home late, late on June 21 and parked the big thing at one of our friends car lots. Went the next day to unload and get the stuff out of the residential fridge. We were really surprised that less than 12 hours later, the battery was already dead. Figured we needed another one to let them run parallel, but we weren't going to use it in July since the DDs had summer camps, band camps, robotics camp, etc. Went to hook it up Aug 1 to come to our August hosting gig at a local state park, about 30 miles from home and we could not get the battery to charge or anything. DH went and purchased a new battery to get the slides in, etc. We drove to the state park, got it parked, put the slides and awning out, unhooked and couldn't get the air conditioners to cut on. HMMMM, that's weird. Didn't have an electrical meter with us, but borrowed one from the maintenance people at the park. Really strange - power was fine at the post. Called a local electrician to come and take a look at it. As soon as he put a meter on the power supply, he said we had an open neutral somewhere! We had 156 volts coming into the breaker box on the lower half and only 25-28 volts on the top half. No wonder things weren't running appropriately. Got the residential fridge plugged up on an extension cord running outside. We were so afraid it was going to burn it up.

Can't be, this is a brand new camper and we had no problem with it in June.

He started at the post and checked the supply, then moved on to the power cord, then he got to the main electrical hookup on the camper. BINGO! Open neutral on the main power supply to the camper. He said that the neutral had been twisted around the screw, but never tightened. Apparently, the factory had never tightened up the wire and while it was bouncing around behind the truck, it had come loose.

The air conditioner did come on and work for a few minutes, but then would kick back off. Never did produce any cool air. Lights worked that night, now they won't come back on. The ceiling fan will not work, microwave will not turn on, sound bar won't work, 2nd battery is DEAD,

The 50 amp is now back on, but things still will not work, but the breakers in the electrical box are showing the correct amount of amperage.

I called Holman Motors, where we purchased and they say that we can bring it to them and they will find the problem and fix it. Yeah, that's great, but we are here for the next 3 weeks without any power! No big deal, but we sure would like to have hot water, lights, etc. The really strange thing about the whole deal is that we do have power to the electric outlets on the inside, except for the GFCI outlets.

How do we get the electric awning in without power? Are we going to have to go purchase a 3rd battery and ZAP it dead?

I've called Forest River, Sandpiper division, but of course, I've gotten no response from them, had to leave messages (yes, more than one).

Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before? Suggestions? DH and I are out of ideas.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #2

take it one step at a time. do you have a battery disconnect switch. is it off? if so the batteries are disconnected and will not be charged. it could be as simple as turning this switch. pull the battery out and take it to someplace like autozone to get it tested. while it is out take a dc voltage reading on the battery terminals to see if there is voltage coming from the converter / charger. if there is no dc power present buying a new battery will not help as it will discharge and not get recharged. but you should be able to run the awnings and lights using the 12 volt power provided by the converter / charger even with the battery out of the unit. if this is not happening you need to check output dc voltage from the converter. based upon the faulty ac voltage the converter saw it may be damaged. finally, consider an ems system to monitor incoming shore power. even though this was not a pedestal problem it would have caught the fault and kept it out of the trailer.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

One quick help may be to grab a decent battery charger and hook that to your batteries. I had to do that this last weekend as my converter/charger isn't working well. That made the 12v stuff work. Might be a decent place to start instead of buying another battery
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

I had the same exact issue. I posted it about 10 months ago. You will also find your "WFCO 65 amp Converter" is also bad. It's job is to charge the house batteries. If your house batteries go dead your a/c will not work due to the thermostat working off the 12v battery system

2017 Sandpiper 376BHOK
dritson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
One quick help may be to grab a decent battery charger and hook that to your batteries. I had to do that this last weekend as my converter/charger isn't working well. That made the 12v stuff work. Might be a decent place to start instead of buying another battery
X2

Do as Joel suggested and get a battery charger to recharge the batteries until you can resolve the problem. Connect it to the power pedestal with an extension cord if necessary. With a charged battery you can run all lights and then run the hot water and fridge on propane.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

Thanks so much for your replies.

CHICKDOE - the problem was INSIDE the trailer at the main electrical connection. The surge protector did not do anything to protect it.

An update - we got a battery charger and charged the house batteries and things have started operating appropriately, with the exception of the microwave, which the electrician did check while he was there. It is fried!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

I did talk to Scott at Sandpiper and he assured me that it could be taken care of rather quickly, but we will have to take it back to the dealer as soon as our camphosting gig is over on Sept 1. We will then have 6 weeks before we have another camping trip scheduled.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

I hope you're talking about Scott Hundt at forestriverinc, he will promise you the moon then ignore you! Dealt with him on our 379 flok got good results with Heather in warranty, a real stand up person! Really cares!
g gunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

also look at the battery wiring and as my dual battery's where wired wrong so the converter would not charge one battery that just happened to have the on it to . also look at the inverter ( in the dr. side front compartment over the battery's if it isn't plugged in to the 120 volt outlet just over it it will not pass the power through to the fridge when plugged in
smily95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical