Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #1

New to the SandPiper family and have some questions

Just ordered a 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ. I am pumped to finally find a camper that has the layout that I have been looking for and I was able to buy it locally. Right now, i have one question. Can anyone tell me what size tv can I hang inside the fifth wheel?
Spencer Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on finding your perfect floor plan. We have the same and love it.
Ours came with a 32" LCD in the living room, on an extendable arm. I believe I measured and a 37" will probably not fit. In the bunk room if I remember correctly a 37" might fit, I did measure it but forget the results. The master bedroom does not have a slot for the tv but where the connections are, on top of the drawers, I would think in the 20+ inch range, depending on the stand etc.
Good luck!
Sahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

what i found is that the measured width of the opening is the size tv u can put. ie, if u have a 32" width, u can put a 32" tv.
i have an older camper and pulled the doors off the upper cabinets in the bed room. i was able to get a 24" in there.
i know the tv is measured diagonally, but the above measurements work fairly well.
when u buy a tv, watch it from the angle u expect to watch it in the trailer. they display them at eye level for a reason. i've found plasma has the best viewing angle but tend to run hot.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:32 AM   #4

Congratulations!!! We bought a 355qbq earlier this year. It came with a 32". Nice for the rainy days....
Superdutykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #5

As anyone put one inside the storage area underneat the 5th wheel where there are tv connections?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Congradulations...

We have had our 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ for two weeks and installed a VISIO 37" LED in the back room - had about an inch of space all the way around around. The measurements of the VISIO are 35.72"W x 23.48"H x 2.0"D without stand. We already had a 26" LCD with stand that we placed in the bedroom with room to spare. Since the stand does not offer angle adjustment, viewing from the bed is not optimum. My wife measured the space above the dresser and tells me that we can fit a 32" LCD on a wall bracket - I guess that is a hint.

Hope you like it as much as we do and yes it is as close to a perfect floorplan as they come.
Bigjimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #7

Hey Bigjimt,

How did you mount the 37" in the back room? What kind of mount did you use and did you just drill it into the wood? If so were there are any issues drilling and how deep did you drill (how long were the screws?)

Thanks,
Sahgie
Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #8

Sahgie,

If you go with a 37" LCD you will probably need a Full Motion type of mount. This is due the size of the LCD in relation to the mounting area. Also, you will need to pull the TV out when switching sources (antenna/cable). It will be the same situation as found with the main 32" TV. I purchased my mount from American RV Company. The good thing about these mounts is they lock in place while riding and eliminate the need for straps. Just make sure you get the proper VESA mounting for your TV. My 37" weighs 39 lbs and used a 100mm x 100mm pattern which was rated for 50 lbs.

The whole back wall area where the TV mounts is 5/8" or 3/4" plywood. I used some #12 x 1-1/2" pan head screws. I drilled a 1/8" pilot. You don't need to worry about the screw length hitting the outside wall - it is a good 5" in back of the plywood.

If you need my exact mount model number I can get it to you. It is best that you pick out a mount based on the size, weight, and mounting holes as required by the LCD you purchase.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

Thanks Bigjimt, great info. Just what I needed.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

Congratulations!!! I just ordered a 2012 Sandpiper also, we got the 345RET!!! I can't wait till it comes!!! Happy Camping!!!!
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #11

bigjimt,

I purchased a 32" vizio to put on the back wall and also purchased a wall mount w/o a swinging arm. can you tell me of any issues you think i might have, or do you think everything will be okay?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Beaty
As anyone put one inside the storage area underneat the 5th wheel where there are tv connections?
I have been looking into doing that. I think when I do, I am going to try this bracket. Anyone ever used it?

http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/t...-mount-32.html
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman06 View Post
I have been looking into doing that. I think when I do, I am going to try this bracket. Anyone ever used it?

MOR/ryde Products

phoneman06, I have not tried that kind of wall mount. my 365 SAQ comes with a 37" in the living room and i put a 32" in the bunk house on a wall mount w/o a swing arm, now that I think about it, hope it is not to much trouble to hook up things to the television. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #14

Most fixed mounts are installed in two parts. One part mounts on the TV itself and the other mounts to the wall. The connection is usually made when the TV is raised above the wall bracket and lowered into place. The type of mount you have chosen will dictate how the connection is made. Some models use a wedge design and some others use a catch mechanism with lock. Regardless of the unit, you will need to allow enough room to raise the TV above the catch and hook it. Because you will be mounting a 32 inch TV, there should be enough room for you to use a fixed mount. You will need to study this in the mounting instructions of the unit you have purchased. The wall where you will mount the TV is rock solid and there is plenty of room behind so feel free to use big screws.
There are two coax connections on the wall as well as some A/V connections. I have only used the top coax which is the TV Antenna. I have not had a chance to see where the bottom coax comes from. My dealer told me that Sat 1&2 went to the master bedroom and living room. He mentioned that Antenna and cable go to all the rooms. Could be that the other coax comes from the game plugs under the TV. The point I am trying to make is that a fixed mount will make it hard to swap coax jacks if it becomes necessary.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #15

Home Theater System

I received my 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ about three weeks ago and was wondering if any of you had noticed this. If you were to navigate to the Forest River web site and look at the Sandpiper fifth wheel features page, you will notice that the Sandpiper Signature Package states that a Jensen AM/FM CD/DVD player with MP3 capabilities is included. Just under this it is also stated that it has a Home Theater surround sound system.

My unit has two speakers in the master bedroom, 4 speakers in the living room, two speakers in the rear bunkhouse, and two speakers outside. There is no center speaker and no sub speaker.

According to the Wikipedia definition, a basic Home Theater System must have at least a 27" TV and a stereo sound system. However, most people (myself included) assume that a Home Theater Surround System incorporates at least a 5.1 sound system - that is 4 speakers plus a center speaker and a sub.

Furthermore, I just traded in a 2010 Flagstaff TT model 831KDSS. It advertised a 5.1 Digital Dolby Surround Sound Speaker System. In fact it did have a center speaker and a sub. Although I found the Concertone to be of poor quality, it was in fact a complete 5.1 Home Theater Surround Sound System.

I guess I can chaulk this one up to Forest River. Although by definition they did provide what they said they would - a very basic Surround Sound Home Theater System, I expected at least a 5.1 system. If you are expecting to sit down with your bag of pop corn and enjoy that latest DVD with the feeling you are at the movies - forget it - at least with this system.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #16

BigjimT, just walked in from outside with my 2012 365 SAQ. Did not really notice the surround sound, but that is not one thing that I would pay a whole lot of attention to. I did however order a toybox in the bunkhouse because I did not get the outside kitchen and the manufacturer informed me that they discontinued the toy box at a certain vin number for this model. They are however suppose to be sending me a check for $200.00 because I was told by the Forest River rep that I could get that. I did however order the storage boxes underneath the fifth wheel and seem to like it so far. headed to myrtle beach this friday, so i will know more in about a week.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #17

landing gear

BigjimT,

Does your landing gear seem to be slow, if so, is there something you can do to speed it up or is this something I have to live with?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #18

Spencer,
I am happy to hear that you have received your new camper - congratulations.

I am also glad to be able to speak with someone else that has a new 365 SAQ. The answer here is - YES my landing gear is terribly slow and in my opinion overloaded.
Unfortunately, to speed it up would require more work from the motor - which can't happen. I have checked on the forum and this issue seems to be present on a few models.
I don't know of any way to easily fix this problem. PPL parts store sells a landing gear with dual motors. Adding a second motor/gearbox might be an option to discuss with the dealer. There is also a hydraulic option if you have the $.
For now, just keep your battery charged and bring the paper to read when you are hitching up.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #19

successful trip

Okay everyone, just got back yesterday from myrtle beach. This is right at an 8 hour drive and pulled my 2012 365 SAQ with my single axle f-250 superduty and everything went great except for one thing. I was an hour from home and got a flat on one of my trailer tires, and I know exactly how it happen. I was looking in my side mirror when I saw that I had just clipped the "S" hook of a bungy cord, and it flew out into the other lane and another car had to swirve and miss it. didn't think much about it until about another hour down the interstate and noticed that the tire had went flat. Got off at the next exit, used my leveling blocks to pull the first tire up and was able to remove the flat easily and put the spare on. Took longer to get trailer up on blocks high enough than to do everything else.

All in all, a great trip, just have to get a flat fixed. Not sure if this would have happened with goodyear tires like I had on my other camper, but because it seemed so minimal when i hit the bungy, maybe it would not have mattered.

Bigj, as far as the surround sound, I have the same amount of speakers in my living room must like yours.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjimt View Post
I received my 2012 Sandpiper 365 SAQ about three weeks ago and was wondering if any of you had noticed this. If you were to navigate to the Forest River web site and look at the Sandpiper fifth wheel features page, you will notice that the Sandpiper Signature Package states that a Jensen AM/FM CD/DVD player with MP3 capabilities is included. Just under this it is also stated that it has a Home Theater surround sound system.

My unit has two speakers in the master bedroom, 4 speakers in the living room, two speakers in the rear bunkhouse, and two speakers outside. There is no center speaker and no sub speaker.

According to the Wikipedia definition, a basic Home Theater System must have at least a 27" TV and a stereo sound system. However, most people (myself included) assume that a Home Theater Surround System incorporates at least a 5.1 sound system - that is 4 speakers plus a center speaker and a sub.

Furthermore, I just traded in a 2010 Flagstaff TT model 831KDSS. It advertised a 5.1 Digital Dolby Surround Sound Speaker System. In fact it did have a center speaker and a sub. Although I found the Concertone to be of poor quality, it was in fact a complete 5.1 Home Theater Surround Sound System.

I guess I can chaulk this one up to Forest River. Although by definition they did provide what they said they would - a very basic Surround Sound Home Theater System, I expected at least a 5.1 system. If you are expecting to sit down with your bag of pop corn and enjoy that latest DVD with the feeling you are at the movies - forget it - at least with this system.
Have you tried adjusting the bass and treble to more your liking?

Does the Subwoofer actually fire into the room you are in. Some RVs have them buried to deeply and a quick mod may help out.

What size speakers does your unit have? May want to upgrade your speakers to bigger...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote