Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Sandpiper/365SAQ input.

Hello all we are new to the Forest River family and would like some feedback from other Sandpiper owners. We are coming out of a Holiday Rambler 325 Alumilite custom that was a great unit. Its been hard to find something as well built or heavy duty as that rig, it seems that in the interest of weight things have gotten flimsy. However my wife and I saw a 32QBBS select at an earlier RV show and fell in love with the layout. So we waited till Hershey to walk through one, one last time before buying and saw the 365SAQ "oh my" this unit is fantasic. The space the features the price the options wow. After comparing the prices the saq was only $6500 more for what we felt was almost double the RV. The salesman also felt that with my strong feelings about fit finish and quality that staying in the full Sandpiper line was a better idea than the select or sierra. Anyway thats my story, can't wait for it to come and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marc
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck in the decision process!
I bet we looked at 25 models before we decided.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Sierra and Sandpiper roll off the same assembly line. Only differences that I've seen have been outside graphics and inside color schemes. We looked at both, had them priced exactly the same, chose the dealer we felt better with. Aside from that, the 365saq is great, especially with kids. We camp with anywhere from having just our 5yr old, to having 4 teenagers also. Always enough room and never climbing over each other. The half bath and outside kitchen are great. A must have, though, is the 2nd A/C unit. Welcome and good luck!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

I have a sandpiper 365saq. My suggestion is to not have very high standards when it comes to the overall quality and workmanship. These units are mass produced and there is a lack of quality control. Its not specific to just this rv its industry wide. It is an awesome nice floorplan and it is a good camper. Compared to your last camper it will be nice with all the new amenities and gadgets.

I would reccomend the 2nd air for sure and air bags on your tow vehicle.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
The Sierra and Sandpiper roll off the same assembly line. Only differences that I've seen have been outside graphics and inside color schemes. We looked at both, had them priced exactly the same, chose the dealer we felt better with. Aside from that, the 365saq is great, especially with kids. ... The half bath and outside kitchen are great. A must have, though, is the 2nd A/C unit. Welcome and good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
Compared to your last camper it will be nice with all the new amenities and gadgets.
I would reccomend the 2nd air for sure and air bags on your tow vehicle.
Most definitely go with the second air and there is a mod on here(if not cured in the '13 model) of how to get more air flow to the bunkroom. I just answered your question over on RV.net, I am nremtp143 over there, about the airbags. Even with a dually, the airbags are awesome, especially since I can adjust on-the-fly with the air system. Takes a lot of bounce out of the ride on interstates. The 365SAQ is a dream come true for little ones as they have their own room with plenty of space. Our son is 12 and loves his room. We have the outside kitchen, generator, 2nd air, heated tanks etc. on ours. We LOVE IT. Good luck and welcome to the best floor plan(in my opinion) for the family!
Monty

Oh and by the way, we orderd an '11 355QBQ and kept it for 11 months and traded it for this. We tried to have them build the 355 custom like the 365, but it was too much money. We stayed on the phone with the factory reps for hours before ordering the 355, and low a behold they took our advice and built the 365. It was a no-brainer for us. Saw the first 365 when it came to GA and ordered ours the next day. Love it!
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #6

thanks for the info

Monty thats great this is what I'm looking to hear. I'm hearing almost all good things about the 365 but as with any newer rv there will be problems i understand this but hearing more good than bad is still a good thing. As far as the air bags I''m putting them on this fall since we probably wont get to use the new unit till spring I want to go with a compressor system for the ability to air on the go and fill rafts tire etc, also I have been seriously looking into an exhaust brake from BD or PAC brake so an air system is a most.
Thanks again I starting to get excited as the sadness of losing the Holiday fades.
Marc
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Most definitely go with the second air and there is a mod on here(if not cured in the '13 model) of how to get more air flow to the bunkroom. I just answered your question over on RV.net, I am nremtp143 over there, about the airbags. Even with a dually, the airbags are awesome, especially since I can adjust on-the-fly with the air system. Takes a lot of bounce out of the ride on interstates. The 365SAQ is a dream come true for little ones as they have their own room with plenty of space. Our son is 12 and loves his room. We have the outside kitchen, generator, 2nd air, heated tanks etc. on ours. We LOVE IT. Good luck and welcome to the best floor plan(in my opinion) for the family!
Monty

Oh and by the way, we orderd an '11 355QBQ and kept it for 11 months and traded it for this. We tried to have them build the 355 custom like the 365, but it was too much money. We stayed on the phone with the factory reps for hours before ordering the 355, and low a behold they took our advice and built the 365. It was a no-brainer for us. Saw the first 365 when it came to GA and ordered ours the next day. Love it!
Hey I see you ordered yours with the generator? Does it eat up a lot of basement room? Could you perhaps snap a pic of it for me. We were going to pull the trigger on a sabre 36qbok but they don't offer gen prep so are looking to go this route now thanks.
ehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehorn View Post
Hey I see you ordered yours with the generator? Does it eat up a lot of basement room? Could you perhaps snap a pic of it for me. We were going to pull the trigger on a sabre 36qbok but they don't offer gen prep so are looking to go this route now thanks.
It will have to be tomorrow as I am on shift today. Mine came with the GenPrep kit and the Onan Generator was installed at the dealer. The 365 has a door under the pin box area and the generator and batteries take up the entire area. It does not take up basement space though. Just takes up the front area that a lot of people use for additional storage. I prefer a generator though.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #9

Tomorrow That would be fine, ya the sale lady was really trying to get us to buy the sabre but she just didn't understand that we wanted a generator. As far as install on that did everything fit in nice and look clean, switch and everything for it in the panel? Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Tomorrow That would be fine, ya the sale lady was really trying to get us to buy the sabre but she just didn't understand that we wanted a generator. As far as install on that did everything fit in nice and look clean, switch and everything for it in the panel? Thanks
Yes, everything comes from the factory(or dealer installed) with a control panel from GenSet and the dealer did a great job. The generator has to have a heat shield around it. This is just fabricated from sheet metal formed into a box. That part is not very neat looking, however it is never seen. If you order it with a genprep kit, it will come with the panel and an automatic transfer switch as part of the kit.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Here is the pic of the generator compartment that I promised you. Sorry it was later than normal.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #12

Awesome thank you for the pics
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #13

Congrats on the purchase. We did almost the same as you. Previously owned a wonderful Layton Skyline Joey. We went to the Atlantic City RV show, saw our dealer who gave us a great deal on the SandPiper SAQ365. We also love the layout/floorplan. Ours is scheduled to come off production March 22nd. We are very excited.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #14

Anyone actually have the washer dryer installed in there 365? Anyone have some pics of it installed. I am hearing that you have t go with a separate unit washer on one side dryer in the other. Is it possible to still do the combination washer/dryer to save some closet space or is there still a lot of closet space with the two separate units in there tha is everyone. We are really considering this unit but have none close by to go look at, so doing all our looking online.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Anyone actually have the washer dryer installed in there 365? Anyone have some pics of it installed. I am hearing that you have t go with a separate unit washer on one side dryer in the other. Is it possible to still do the combination washer/dryer to save some closet space or is there still a lot of closet space with the two separate units in there tha is everyone. We are really considering this unit but have none close by to go look at, so doing all our looking online.
We have a 315RE which has pretty much the same nose but shorter overall length. We have a washer in ours but chose not to go with a dryer. Just don't see the heat since we do mostly beach camping and we usually washing tshirts and trunks and towels and just hang them outside to dry.(under clothes over shower stall) With the front load model it spins the clothes almost dry. You can get a washer/dryer all in one unit model but not sure how venting would be. My vent is on other side of camper. I will get a picture of closet for you in a couple days that shows space with washer installed.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #16

Truck for saq

Ok group, if you could do it all over again...what truck would you recommend to pull the saq. We are really trying not to move into a long bed. Open for suggestions...i am getting feedback that the f250 somewhat stuggled on long trips and other fifth wheel owners say no problem...

And by request from the misses...any suggestions on a washer/dryer? Does price matter? Anything for us to stay away from?

First time poster...

2013 365saq...no truck!
gaucoin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #17

I have heard of people pulling these units with 3/4 tons but personally I would go 1 ton SRW minimum. I am assuming that was suppose to say struggles on long trips? Not sure why that would be if it has the same engine as its 350 counterpart. Gearing will play A roll as well, but the length of the trip should really not have anything to do with it. If you are talking of a F250 with a powerstroke and say a 3.73 rear end it will have the power to pull it but in my opinion without airbags at least it doesn't have the suspension to handle it.

As for washer dryer not sure what brand we are getting yet our unit is still about 2 weeks from delivery, but we got them to put a combination unit in ours, our dealer told the rep about it so I am thinking they are changing around the venting so it can all be on the one side. Now you can also get combo units that don't vent at all and turn the moisture into steam then condense it back to liquid and into the drain pipe.

Not sure I answered either if your questions but hopefully I helped shed a little light.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #18

Gaucoin1 you would have been better off asking democrat or republican. Ill give u MY "opinion" only! The only real difference in 3/4 to 1 ton Ford Dodge or Chevy is the rear suspension or more specifically the addition of overload springs and with that said a 3/4 ton can be ordered with overloads from the factory. As far as the drive train motor,trans, rear axle all the same. Anyway IMHO the real safety bonus comes in the step up to a dually simply from a rear tire failure stand point. The whole stability thing I feel is there, but is truly minimal compared to the security of another set of tires on the ground. Just do the math the camper empty weighs 12800 lbs so loaded your well over 13000 lbs hooked to a 9000 lb truck. The trailer has a 2 ton weight advantage for selecting the path of travel or trajectory in a blow out scenario. With a single rear wheel vehicle a rear truck tire blow out at highway speed IMHO is going to be a harrowing experience at best. So for the added safety and emergency control of only 2 additional tire plus the additional weight carrying capacity and added stability I feel it's a no brainer for a unit of the SAQ's size. Also I'm one of the people who also like short bed trucks so I tow with a Dodge mega cab short bed dually with a slider (pull rite).

Hope this helped
Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Supercab you are correct on all of that I agree 100%. Not to hijack or derail I want your 97 been trying to find an obs cc sb around here for a long time lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #20

Dude I have to change my sig I just sold it on Saturday it brought $14800 I couldn't believe it. Those OBS Fords are still STRONG in the market and that one was garage kept and I mean "KEPT" I was sorry to see it go but for that price and I couldn't tow the new camper with it and the kids 7 and 3 like the tv in the Dodge so I let it go. That truck was rare I went to Michigan from Pa to buy it back in 04.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3005700020.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	28665
Here it is just before it left.

Name:	image-3693926754.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	28666
Here it is leaving last shot of it.

Name:	image-845846037.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	28667
It was clean.
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4

Tags
365, 365saq