Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 12:49 AM   #1

Sandpiper 399loft black tank valve

I have a 2022 Sandpiper 399loft that has a laundry list of issues and haven’t hit our year mark yet.
My current issue I have a question on is the blank tank valve handle.
Are these a cabled system or rod and how long are they.
Got my tank dumped today and the service guy bent the rod some how or something to cause the valve to not fully shut.
Need some educated advice on a solution to fix it. I live in it full time so taking it in is not an option.

Thank you
Quackaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Sandpiper sub-forum since the OP is asking for model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post
I have a 2022 Sandpiper 399loft that has a laundry list of issues and haven’t hit our year mark yet.
Got my tank dumped today and the service guy bent the rod some how or something to cause the valve to not fully shut.
Need some educated advice on a solution to fix it. I live in it full time so taking it in is not an option.

Thank you
Good Morning,
I had a similar issue with my 2021 3440BH. The rear black tank valve would not open. Forest River uses a cable system for the valves. These cables are not length specific, meaning sometimes there's too much cable from the handle to the valve and that can cause issues. If the cable is not routed smoothly, it will twist/bind. The only way I could solve the issue was to remove the valve assembly along with the cable from the drain plumbing. Fortunately the valve is secured with bolts and nuts, not glued in to the pipe. Unfortunately the my black tank still had leftovers from a recent trip. I then made sure that the valve operated smoothly and re-installed routing the cable better. I did have to remove several of the belly pans to access everything. Hope this helps.
kbechtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Can you post a photo of the bent valve handle?

Forest River uses a lot of cable actuated dump valves but not all.
Some have a rod that goes from the handle to the valve.

As mentioned, the cable actuated dump valves are prone to the cable being too long and/or mis-routed and the outer-most part where the handle attaches can be bent by trying to "slam" the valve closed.

There was a thread in the last couple weeks where a member also had the short part of the handle (where the knob attaches to a short solid rod and then to the cable) that had bent. They wound up removing the cable from the valve, pulling the lever/short rod from the outer housing and straightening the bend.

Also as mentioned, most of the time, this work requires removal of a belly panel or two.
Depending on how tough that might be, there have been some who simply cut a three sided hole in the belly. (some belly panels are rigid plastic, some are Coroplast (plastic cardboard) and some are poly fabric) If you do cut an access hole, be sure to leave the uncut side towards the front as a hinge that can then be sealed up. Leaving the front side uncut, keeps air from trying to open the hole as you go down the road.

Here's a photo showing the handle, the short rod and then the cable into the outer sheath. If you have a nut that attaches the cable sheath (to whatever it attaches to) then it it most likely a cable as in the photo.

Here is a drawing of a rod actuated dump valve with no cable.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #5

This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackaddict View Post

Thank you
Here's a solution for you. As long as the RV is stationary it will work fine for you. This new valve just twists onto the end of the old one and will shut off completely. A fix for less than $20.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, loft, sandpiper, tank, valve