RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Septic smell from vent pipe

Hello,
We have a 2017 sandpiper 38fkok and we got a septic smell in the living area when we walk in the front door. Traced it to the vent pipe that is in the closet in the back bedroom. It is definitely coming from that vent. Got on top and nothing blocking the vent but omg that smell. Anyone know 1. Why it smells in the house and not go out the top. 2. Way to change it from inside the closet venting to outside.

We have a small closet in the bedroom and so tried leaving the door open but that smell still comes out. It only has happened in the new RV park we are at and never before this summer. We live in it full time and have never had this issue.

Thanks
Shumerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum...

Why is there a vent in your bedroom closet? I looked at your layout and you have a washer/dryer prep in the bathroom. Is that where you are smelling this?

Also, smells sometimes travel thru the walls and come out not necessarily from the source. Have you checked the air admittance valves under your sinks?

Do you have a washer dryer? It might be the special trap in the washer drain is allowing smell to come back inside.

One more thing, is it sewer smell or urine smell?
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #3

We have a washer and dryer in the unit and no it us definitely coming from the black pvc pipe in the closet. It is septic smell and strongest in the closet and no where else. I tried to add image but not sure how.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #4

Is this pipe visible? It is one of your stink pipes thru the roof? Are there any visible joints where the pipe has been fitted together/?

I had an issue once where a pipe fitting was not glued correctly on one of my stink pipes. Could not see until wall removed where it ran to the roof vent.
/
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

Are you using the app or are you on the .com website
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

The .com and yes-visible, yes-stink pipe to roof, no-no visible joint. Maybe picture is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200907_153257.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	238624  
Old 09-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

One thing to check. Does the smell seem to come from the top of this stink pipe? I know it is hard to tell but it is either coming from below at the tank connection or at the top where it exits the roof.

There have been folks who had issues where the pipe exits the roof. The area around the top of the pipe where the pipe comes thru the hole in the roof is not sealed and the smell is allowed to enter the RV.

I’m not sure of your setup but you might look by removing the vent cap to see if the area around the pipe is sealed.

While you have it open you can also pull on the pipe to ensure you don’t have a loose connection hidden in the ceiling or the floor.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #8

Look at this link... https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ell-73081.html
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 09-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #9

Possibilities:

1) Crack in vent pipe allowing venting into the cabin. Time for a flashlight and careful inspection. If you find a crack or a bad joint (e.g. not glued), fix it.
2) Proper venting through the roof, but the sewer gas is finding its way back in through windows or other vents...e.g. the roof vent. Compared to the factory roof vent, there are some turbo charged options. Illustration/not recommendation: https://smile.amazon.com/Lippert-Com...9594103&sr=8-1
3) Since this seems to be unique to the full-hookup campground, a LIKELY cause is some pressurization of the sewer drain network when other RVs flush or dump...especially if you drain continuously rather than allow the tank to fill then dump at once. Consider a dump from a black tank containing 40 gallons or more of effluent...rushing down the pipes all at once. In a poorly designed RV park drain system, every dump may push sewer gasses out the other connection points. The other connection points are serving as vents. I've notice this when we were in a park that had connections, but we were in a pop-up that had no black tank. It was pretty dreadful to be near our connection point when someone else dumped. This pressurization may exit your roof properly, but the sheer volume of stinky air may create a stink cloud around your rig. But then again, the mistake is yours. Do NOT drain continuously. Let your black tank fill...with the dump valve closed...and when it's about 2/3 full, let her rip. Sewer gasses won't penetrate your black tank dump valve if it's closed, and solids won't build up in your tank as much since they are "flooded" most of the time.
4. "Dry trap syndrome" at your washer/dryer hookup. The grey tank in your rig is also very stinky. If you have a dry trap there (or anywhere), you'd swear that the grey tank smells as bad as the black tank. Routinely add water to ALL traps after travel and dumps. Each and every dump can cause the water in any given trap to get sucked out, and jostling down the road can cause the water to trickle out of the trap to the point where their is an air gap for stench to penetrate the cabin. Also bear in mind that a "hermetically sealed" RV cabin can be slightly pressurized with the opening and closing of doors. That pressure can push a bit of water out of a trap. Just last week, I dumped my rig, and as is my practice, I use a garden hose to jet water down all sink/bathtub drains while the grey tank valve is open. In one case, the violent rush of water from the hose did the job (cleaned the traps), but it also caused one of them to over-empty and be "dry." The camper stunk like hell until I ran water in all the traps, and voila, fresh air.
5. On the theme of dry traps, grey water drain plumbing in most RVs relies on what's commonly called an "insta-vent." https://smile.amazon.com/2-inch-Tuub...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Like everything on an RV built to price, they wear out. It's easy to replace them.
6. If you're anywhere near a toilet, the gaskets on the flush valves have a way of wearing out. Test? Fill the bowl with an inch of water, leave, come back in an hour. Is the water still there? If not, the way the water leaked out is the way sewer gas can leak in.

I think I covered the bases. But whatever it is is a pretty simple fix.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent