Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Is it the repair facility or FR recommending the air ride hitch/kingpin?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
man I would think everybody would recommend one. I sent you a pm pat, hit me back...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #22

The repair place said FR is recommending the air hitch. I've been googling them and it seems the $1300 range is where they are, without installation.
Do any of you have the same trailer with the air hitch? I would be interested in your opinions, and photos also.
Thanx, all of you for being so helpful with your advice and sharing your know-how! I wish I was closer to you guys to take advantage of your handyman skills!
No, wait, with all the weather you guys have, I wish you were all closer to me here in CA instead!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #23

do you take the hitch out often? i got a new ts3 on closeout for 1300. its a lot of hitch but im in norcal and the freight would be a killer. those look a better option than pinbox air....which model?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #24

do you have the cross bed rails in the truck already? should be a drop in...
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 PM   #25

I hardly ever take the hitch off the truck. Since the trailer is still in the shop, I don't have a model number to go by to look for an air hitch yet.
The ones I've been looking up want a model number,I guess to match up bolt patterns or hitch heights?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmePatB View Post
The repair place said FR is recommending the air hitch. I've been googling them and it seems the $1300 range is where they are, without installation.
Do any of you have the same trailer with the air hitch? I would be interested in your opinions, and photos also.
Thanx, all of you for being so helpful with your advice and sharing your know-how! I wish I was closer to you guys to take advantage of your handyman skills!
No, wait, with all the weather you guys have, I wish you were all closer to me here in CA instead!
Pat my Sierra 365saq doesn't have any weld problems, I noticed that you have a solid pin-box on it mine has trail air flex which absorbs all the bumps you can tell it cause it is brass colored and it rotates on a cushin. although i have been thinking of the next trl. having the trail air air bag and shock on it. Glad to see you're getting your trl. fixed.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #27

Trail air brand seems to be the most popular with all the people I know. Turns out it was Lippert that recommended the air hitch, not FR. Talked to FR today and they said they can't really help me with the hitch.
Too bad Lippert knows these trailers flex and crack like this and nobody tells you anything about needing a different hitch when you are buying it.
Oh well, with knowledge comes wisdom.....

Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Trail air brand seems to be the most popular with all the people I know. Turns out it was Lippert that recommended the air hitch, not FR. Talked to FR today and they said they can't really help me with the hitch.
Too bad Lippert knows these trailers flex and crack like this and nobody tells you anything about needing a different hitch when you are buying it.

I 'm sorry you had to go through all this to find out it could have been avoided
Dick,
Old 03-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
ItsmePatB- what's your camper's GVWR and what is the model # of the current pin box?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:33 AM   #30

I have to wait til I get it back from the repair place to get that info.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #31

I would guess that they want you to put in an air ride hitch is to relieve any stress on the remaining "faulty" welds. I would be very upset if I had to go and buy a $1300 hitch just so there welds don't break. I have a Blue Ridge that is similar to yours and I just have a Pro Series 20K. Nothing special but it works great. If you think about all of the 365 saq Sierra/Sandpiper trailers that are rolling acrossed the countryside, I would guess very few are with any air ride hitches or pin boxes. Just my $.02. I am pleased to hear FR is taking care of you! My Blue Ridge in back at the manufacturer as we speak for the second time in a year. Neither me or FR could find a local dealer to fix the problems so they came to the house and took it back to Indiana. There's a lot to say about that!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #32

IMHO, every 5th wheel with a front bedroom slide could benefit from air. Several manufacturers started competing with 3 year warranties a few years back and they all went to air suspended pin boxes. That ought to say something.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #33

I have a 2013 365 and put on a Reese airborne 5th air ride pin box after the first season and about 2500 miles of travel. I will never own another 5th wheel with out one. The difference in ride quality is amazing and makes traveling more enjoyable. I opted for the Reese because the air bag is inside the pin box and out of the sun and other elements. I got mine for about 750.00 with free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
rbcdp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #34

sad thing is when reese bought 5th airborne, they changed the air bag source. first one I got had a defective bag. they did not want to even pay warranty labor. eventually they did but I have not sold another airborne
Old 03-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #35

Well, I am still in the market for a hitch. My trailer is still in the shop. They said maybe next Tuesday, operative word there is maybe.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 PM   #36

UPDATE
I picked up the trailer from the repair facilty and brought it home. In that 15 mile drive the closet repair on the front wall inside popped off and the new caulking on the outside is separating already.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428529662.056485.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	73569Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428529687.761383.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	73570
Forest River paid for the repairs with Lippert sending a guy to do the welding on the frame.
FR has been good with me throughout this process. The parts take 2 months to get sent out, so the waiting sucks, but Wayne was very courteous and nice.
BUT,now, after only one more move of 40 miles, I see a crack at the top of my bedroom slide!
With the caulking separating already and now this crack, I just want out of this trailer before it gets worse!
It's a shame because this trailer really suits my needs.
I owe $20 grand on this thing still. Guess I better start looking at a different trailer? :-(

Old 04-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #37

Quote:
UPDATE
I picked up the trailer from the repair facilty and brought it home. In that 15 mile drive the closet repair on the front wall inside popped off and the new caulking on the outside is separating already.Attachment 73569Attachment 73570
Forest River paid for the repairs with Lippert sending a guy to do the welding on the frame.
FR has been good with me throughout this process. The parts take 2 months to get sent out, so the waiting sucks, but Wayne was very courteous and nice.
BUT,now, after only one more move of 40 miles, I see a crack at the top of my bedroom slide!
With the caulking separating already and now this crack, I just want out of this trailer before it gets worse!
It's a shame because this trailer really suits my needs.
I owe $20 grand on this thing still. Guess I better start looking at a different trailer? :-(

Gosh Pat I really feel sorry this is happening I have a Sierra365saq and nothing like this has happened to me I think i'd turn it in as a lemon and ask for equivalent value trl. I'm trading my trl. in aug on a new one hope you can get some relief for all the inconvience.
Dick,
Old 04-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #38

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1428537166.857164.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	73578
I looked up and saw this crack right above my bedroom slide, definitely was not there before!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #39

Thanks Dicky. I don't know anything about lemon laws but I think it's time to learn!
The thing about the welds breaking on these trailers is that you don't know it until the siding or trims break open. You just don't know what's going on under there.
I worry about the rest of the trailer that hasn't been torn apart,I wonder what's going on under there.
Everybody who has this model should carefully check the seams and caulking for cracking and/or separating.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #40

looks like the wall, now re-secured to the flexing frame is getting rifted apart. seems there are core issues with the frame further back that wernt addressed.

Tags
2013, 365, 365 saq, sierra