Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
So I have read over this thread and have a few questions . I understand weights and not overloading etc.. but basically are the axles junk if you have the 6 k ones? I have often wondered when making turns why the axles look the way they do. I know 7k axles would be better for sure ,but am wondering are we I danger ? I have a 2012 365saq. I will check the numbers but it has the extra ac etc and a few other upgrades. Thanks for the help .
I have a 2012 also with 6k axles. Are you in danger? No. Would 7k axles be better? Yes. Are they mandatory? This is the grey area. A unit of this size should have 7k axles to increase the payload, but if you travel light, then it's not so much an issue. The canter in the wheels while turning sharply is normal, and all axles will do it. It's usually when you are backing in during a hard turn on pavement.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I have a 2012 also with 6k axles. Are you in danger? No. Would 7k axles be better? Yes. Are they mandatory? This is the grey area. A unit of this size should have 7k axles to increase the payload, but if you travel light, then it's not so much an issue. The canter in the wheels while turning sharply is normal, and all axles will do it. It's usually when you are backing in during a hard turn on pavement.
Thanks.I am going to scale it this week.
robertc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #43

Well I weighed it.My total was 23380.I was pretty sure it would be 22k,but was slightly surprised. My truck weighs about 8500-9000,trailer axle weight was 11700,so I was not over on trailer axle weight.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #44

Late to this tread

Hey guys, I know this thread is a couple years old but hoping some of you are still paying attention to it. I have a 2013 365, had no idea of all these problems until the other day I had a blowout, and was looking to replace all four tires. It was then I realized that I have 6000 pound axles, and that the tire load was only rated for 3080 pounds per tire, which comes out to 12,320 . My dry weight sticker is 12,790. Call forest river and complained, because I wanted a new set of tires that would support my weight and didn't even think about the damn axles. I called three major tire manufacturers in all three of them said that is not the correct tire for my unit in there that should never been installed from the factory. Of course forest river for one says your unit is out of warranty, but then says when you take in pin weight as a factor, this is the correct tire and axle. How did you guys fight that pin weight deal. I've talked to RV dealers it say it's not the correct tire and I've also talk to my dealers sandpiper rep. He said sounds like to me FR needs to replace your axles wheels and tires. LOL easier said than done. It's been great reading this thread I appreciate you need to help you guys can give me as I am just starting this fight
Hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood23113 View Post
Hey guys, I know this thread is a couple years old but hoping some of you are still paying attention to it. I have a 2013 365, had no idea of all these problems until the other day I had a blowout, and was looking to replace all four tires. It was then I realized that I have 6000 pound axles, and that the tire load was only rated for 3080 pounds per tire, which comes out to 12,320 . My dry weight sticker is 12,790. Call forest river and complained, because I wanted a new set of tires that would support my weight and didn't even think about the damn axles. I called three major tire manufacturers in all three of them said that is not the correct tire for my unit in there that should never been installed from the factory. Of course forest river for one says your unit is out of warranty, but then says when you take in pin weight as a factor, this is the correct tire and axle. How did you guys fight that pin weight deal. I've talked to RV dealers it say it's not the correct tire and I've also talk to my dealers sandpiper rep. He said sounds like to me FR needs to replace your axles wheels and tires. LOL easier said than done. It's been great reading this thread I appreciate you need to help you guys can give me as I am just starting this fight
Technically your tires were rated to match your axle ratings so there is no issues there.
When I went through this, I looked at the cargo capacity (or lack of) of the camper with the 6k axles and that is what led to Forest River replacing mine with 7k axles, new wheels, and new tires.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #46

Yea well that is an issue also. I can only carry 1209, now a load of fresh water is 450. So now I'm at 759, not this is without anything other than trailer from the factory with a load of fresh water. Now once the black or gray tank fills, and you refill fresh, your over weight, not to mention all the stuff you have in the rv. Not saying I'm gonna do this, but the unit is capable, but not lol
Hollywood23113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Yea well that is an issue also. I can only carry 1209, now a load of fresh water is 450. So now I'm at 759, not this is without anything other than trailer from the factory with a load of fresh water. Now once the black or gray tank fills, and you refill fresh, your over weight, not to mention all the stuff you have in the rv. Not saying I'm gonna do this, but the unit is capable, but not lol
I think that's about what my numbers were from the factory. If memory serves (it's been over 3 years now) with the camper empty from the dealer, and a full fresh water tank I had 600ish lbs of cargo capacity in a camper that sleeps 10.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #48

Quote:
What ever came of this? Did they replace? I had the same issue and responses from Forest River. They eventually said they would sell me new axles at a discounted rate. I checked around and found a company in Oregon called Bend Axle. They built me two new 7k dexter axles for cheaper than Forest Rivers discounted rate and shipped them to an RV dealer I use. I bought same rims online but in 8 lug. Used same tires and upgraded springs, shackle kit and all needed. Definitely better. I wasn't about to pay Forest River to correct a mistake they made. Especially after they said it should have come with bigger axles.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #49

Funny you bring this back up,the last few weeks I have been debating about replacing my axles.I just don’t feel secure with smaller axles.I am wondering can I order new axles and will they bolt right in etc.....With many saying the rv rides better too it’s beating at me to replace them.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #50

Check this place out. I upgraded from 4400lbs lippert axles to dexter made in USA 6000lbs axles. Trailer rides much better. They shipped everything right to my house and I switched out in a day.

http://www.dexterpartsonline.com
Phat Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #51

A bearing failed & damaged the spindle on one of my 4400 lb. axles w/10" brakes. Rather than pay more to fix the old one & hope the other 3 wouldn't have any issues... I installed (2) new 5000 lb. axles completely assembled with leaf springs, hubs, 12" brakes, etc. for $240 each from TriState Surplus in MI. While I was there I got some new bolts & hangers to attach the leaf springs... (Saw their ads on eBay_ first and was able to pick-up in-person 3 hrs. away vs. pay extra for shipping via freight...)

According to TriState, these surplus axles were new pulls from the nearby RV manufacturers who made last-minute upgrades to their axle specs before delivering new units to dealers. I saw NO wear or scratches on the studs, so they likely never had tires installed on them...

IMO this was one of my easier DIY jobs because the new units bolted directly into the same spot as the old ones... All I had to do is flip the axle to the outside of the leaf springs, torque the bolts to manufacturer specs, and connect the new brake wires to the existing wiring. Shortly afterwards we took a 4 week, 4,000 mile trip with no issues. (However, I did check my lug nuts & hanger bolts at 10 miles & then at every gas stop thereafter...)
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
Funny you bring this back up,the last few weeks I have been debating about replacing my axles.I just don’t feel secure with smaller axles.I am wondering can I order new axles and will they bolt right in etc.....With many saying the rv rides better too it’s beating at me to replace them.
My new axles (7k) bolted right up same as 6k. I did up grade leaf springs, shackles and shackle bolt kit, had to get 8 lug rims and more lug nuts. As I have said I ordered mine from Bend Axle in Oregon. They explain on their site how to correctly measure. I spoke to someone via phone and he went over the build. I paid him over the phone and they arrived at my dealer the next week. I had the dealer put them on to assure they were aligned and tracking well. It cost me about $400 total for installation. Two new axles shipped was about $900. Well worth it. I have not had any trouble since. I don't plan on getting rid of my 5th wheel so it was a must for me.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, 365saq, axle