Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Half-Timer

A/C cooling

Running the "main" A/C " I have uneven cooling in the coach. The front bath and bedroom are cooled about 6 degrees cooler than the kitchen/living room area. To get both A/C's to run the front unit must be set to a much lower temperature (i.e. rear set at 76 degrees the front must be set at 70 degrees). There is always about a 6 degree temp difference whether running just the main unit or running both units.

Has anyone else measured the difference or is my unit unique? Will be talking to dealer when we are there in mid July. Interested in how other Sierra 5th wheels with 2 A/C's experience even and/or uneven cooling of the coach on A/C.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #2

Ours is/was like that, now big ac doesn't seem to be working, taking in to dealer soon.
chicken8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Team

You're always going to have unequal cooling in these units because the ducting isn't designed for proper air flow. It just provides a path from A to B to C, etc..
Old 07-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

My sandpiper 371REBH is like this too. I thought it was the temp sensor in the bedroom but who knows..
jsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #5

My sierra is the same way. I just adjust the temp in each area where I need it to be comfortable.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #6

I blocked one of the supply vents in our bedroom by cutting cardboard circle and also blocked one half of vent in the bathroom forcing air to liv room and bunk room. also put liv room fan on constant low speed , also tell all to use back door so not pull hot air into unit when open main door over and over again. also helps emensly to add "REFLECTEX" TO ALL windows, cut to fit. 50.00 a roll. some will say not good to block vents, but works great all are cool and happy campers...even in the bunk room. The problem we have whether vents are blocked or not is, my sweetheart loves it cold so we set bedroom on 66 and other ac on 70 and our bedroom "plentum" (inside ac box) sweats so bad it drips on or bed!! BTW I went up on roof and removed bedroom ac cover and then the top of plentum box and saw 2 areas not sealed good where hot air was being pulled into ac. I sealed them but that did not help the sweating though. I called dometic, they said turn your ac up to a more human tempature. I an going to fig out a way to better insulate the plentum box on the roof. well hope this all helps someone else.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Half-Timer

possible a/c resolution

Recently spoke with trailer sales and was informed that Forest River is coming out with a "fix" for the A/C issue. There is a kit to install an additional air intake flow and replace some connectors in the control circuit. Apparently the problem is not sufficient air intake flow to the whisper quiet A/C unit. Have a scheduled date to have the modification completed.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #8
343Sierra

Additional Information on A/C Fix

Hi, You are correct on the 'kit', we just had ours installed yesterday, after not having any air for two months. We were also told that there is a "recall" for the air conditioning drip pan. It does not drain properly and collects water until the communication connectors end up sitting in water and corrode (or fry). You might continue to have issues if this isn't fixed at the same time.
cjtromb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Thanks for the info
chicken8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #10
Sharpsburg,GA

cjtromb, who did you have install the corrective kit for ac ?
harryivanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
343Sierra

Repair Location

I had Camping World of Valdosta do the repair. They did a great job.
cjtromb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
Retired Retail/Importer

A/C Self Repair

We had water dripping through our running ceiling fan...come to find out the a/c was working so hard to get air flow that it was taking air from outside and drawing it into the intakes...Got up on roof, saw puddle of water with wires submerged...Bottom line, I cut the thermostat wiring at the a/c connection replaced ends and connector-duct taped them up out of potential water...then with FR guidance they told me that two more vents need to be cut between the original ones...did that and the a/c works great with no oversweating....FR sent me 2 matching vent covers.
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling