Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

Question Anybody installed wood floors in their Sierra355RE

The carpet has just about had it in my 2014 355RE. I would like to replace it all with Wood flooring. Concerned about the thickness of the flooring to be used for the main floor in the living room. Both opposing slides have to be able to slide across the new floor without scratching or gouging. Wondering if laminate flooring or thinner vinyl flooring would be better suited for this project.

I am open to thoughts and suggestions especially if you have tackled this kind of project. I am a full-timer so carpet is just not practical.
Thanks
Travlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlinman View Post
The carpet has just about had it in my 2014 355RE. I would like to replace it all with Wood flooring. Concerned about the thickness of the flooring to be used for the main floor in the living room. Both opposing slides have to be able to slide across the new floor without scratching or gouging. Wondering if laminate flooring or thinner vinyl flooring would be better suited for this project.

I am open to thoughts and suggestions especially if you have tackled this kind of project. I am a full-timer so carpet is just not practical.

Thanks

Im going to say hardwoods wont work in an rv. Because of the slideouts drag across the floor and will scratch them all up. You would be best with vinyl flooring.

But be aware when you go to vinyl it will be less insulation there because your removing the carpet and padding. We have had campers with both and prefer carpet because of the extra layer of insulation acting carpet/padding.
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

Laminates are durable, but much too thick and heavy for an RV IMO. I would go with some form of vinyl or linoleum.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

On mine I pulled the carpet found they had vinyl linoleum under it left it for now and use a area carpet for when I pull the slides in.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Coach

Wood floors don't generally respond well to drastic temperature changes. If you're full timing, it might be ok, but otherwise, I wouldn't chance it. An engineered wood, laminate, or vinyl are your best options.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #6

We put down a quality lamintate flooring (about $3.25/sqft) in our living area. We left the carpet in the opposing slides. Our slides are hydraulic and raise up about 3/4 inch before they come in so they do not drag across the floor.

The RV sat in the hot AZ sun all summer and the floor was fine. Weightwise I would guess we increased the weight by maybe 125 lbs (about 1# per sqft. I do believe the carpet installers get paid by the staple!!

On a travel trailer, I put down some Costco "wood" flooring in the kitchen area over the existing vinyl. I did not know that the manuf. had used screws to screw the carpet under the edge of the slide and when I brought the slide in for the 1st time, it left 9 gouges in the new floor. I would definately check for clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor9.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	194253  

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #7

Thanks, Guys for all of the replies. You all brought forth points that I need to investigate further. That's why I come to the experts.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Keep in mind that hardwood, engineered wood and laminate are not waterproof. The new luxury vinyl planks are waterproof and are made to look almost identical to either hardwood or Tile. You can get them with or without backing depending on the condition on the sub floor.
CastleRockcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #9

X2 on the luxury vinyl planks. Yanked up my carpet in my Mirada 32ds and put them down. Fairly easy project if you take your time and get the angles right on the cuts.
Dwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Here ya go.....Allure vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot. About 137 sq. ft needed to allow for cutting etc. Planks were of the glue strip style so that when complete, if the floor needed to expand/contract, it would do it as a whole & not pop the joints on the snap together style. Over a year in and no problems, bulges or separations.

Damn...sideways pics!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171205_103651.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	194282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171205_104920.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	194283   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180314_132305.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	194284  
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input, Guys. I have completed the job and all of your suggestions were very helpful. I went with the vinyl floor planks that are interlocking, had the padding on each strip. Each plank was 6mm thick which gives me plenty of clearance for the slides to come in. Getting the right reducers to finish off the edges was a challenge but doable with some research. They are very proud of the reducers it seems. I could not use the metal strips that come with the reducers so I used good wood glue and very small wood screws to attach the reducers to the planks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190125_083134.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	195373  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #12

Good job - looks great! I'm contemplating the same thing.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #13

J Perry, Good luck on the flooring. I had never done flooring before so I was learning as I went. The hard part is the trim around the slides. Most of these floors are designed for same level install. Finding the trim for the slides which sit higher is a challenge. It is as expensive as the flooring itself so you want to keep mistakes to a minimum.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlinman View Post
Thanks for all the input, Guys. I have completed the job and all of your suggestions were very helpful. I went with the vinyl floor planks that are interlocking, had the padding on each strip. Each plank was 6mm thick which gives me plenty of clearance for the slides to come in. Getting the right reducers to finish off the edges was a challenge but doable with some research. They are very proud of the reducers it seems. I could not use the metal strips that come with the reducers so I used good wood glue and very small wood screws to attach the reducers to the planks.

Looks great!! I couldn't put the flooring on my slides due to a raised glide block at each corner that ensures the slide doesn't contact the floor when coming in. It is covered by the carpet. If I tried the flooring, the last plank & transition would be raised. So, I eventually replaced the carpet on the slides with a better quality.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
We put down a quality lamintate flooring (about $3.25/sqft) in our living area. We left the carpet in the opposing slides. Our slides are hydraulic and raise up about 3/4 inch before they come in so they do not drag across the floor.

The RV sat in the hot AZ sun all summer and the floor was fine. Weightwise I would guess we increased the weight by maybe 125 lbs (about 1# per sqft. I do believe the carpet installers get paid by the staple!!

On a travel trailer, I put down some Costco "wood" flooring in the kitchen area over the existing vinyl. I did not know that the manuf. had used screws to screw the carpet under the edge of the slide and when I brought the slide in for the 1st time, it left 9 gouges in the new floor. I would definately check for clearance.

Floor looks beautiful!!!
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, led, sierra