Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Backup Camera

I recently purchased a backup camera, the Wireless Observation System W/ Led Monitor - 7 Screen. The instruction manual is not the greatest as far as setting up the camera. It should be pretty simply. Plug in to back housing and connect it to screen.

The issue I’m having is when I connect the camera in the back I am not getting power to the camera. I’ve connect it directly to 12v in car and the camera turns on. I’ve connected to back end of trailer, connect trailer to truck. Tried it with running lights and while in reverse. Still no power to the camera.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Fuse needs to be added in trailer somewhere. On/off switch somewhere in the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums mobile app
str8sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Most rvs prewired with 12v power to the rear camera bracket are wired to either the backup lights or the running/headlights. With camera paired to the monitor turn on the lights or place vehicle in reverse to initiate power to the camera,
ionasilverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

I'll bet that the wire at the back of the trailer has come loose or was never connected. No reason for a switch or fuse to be between the running lights and the connector. Most likely the wire is supposed to be connected to the running light closest to where the camera mount is located.

With as fast as RV's are slapped together, it isn't surprising that stuff that can't be easily checked, don't get put together correctly every time.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionasilverback View Post
Most rvs prewired with 12v power to the rear camera bracket are wired to either the backup lights or the running/headlights. With camera paired to the monitor turn on the lights or place vehicle in reverse to initiate power to the camera,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried all of those things. I can’t even get it to the point to pair the camera to the screen because there is no power to it.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to try and wire it to one of the lights in the back to see if it works that way.