Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Dinette Slide Issue

I just bought a 2007 Sierra with triple slide. When extending the slides bedroom and bunkhouse extend fine. When the couch/table slide starts going out it jumps and makes loud noise like it is catching on something. Any idea what my issue is?
jnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

It would help to tell us if your slide drive is electric or hydraulic. Have you looked under the couch/dinette slide room for obvious damage tohe drive components or slide room floor?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

It is hydraulic. I have looked under it while it is extended. It has a gear and a gear trac that look good. No broken teeth. I haven't taken the under belly off to look underneath the trailer while it is going in. How easy is it for them to come off track or alignment? Sorry, first time fifth wheel owner.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

No damage to floor on inside of trailer.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnort View Post
It is hydraulic. I have looked under it while it is extended. It has a gear and a gear trac that look good. No broken teeth...
Hydraulic with a gear & track? Is it a hydraulic motor turning the gear? Bit confused.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to Lippert's site for manuals on your slide... Through Frame Slide Service Selection

I guess it'll be a 2 or 2.5" 'through the frame', the difference being whether it has 1 or 2 hydraulic pistons. Should help you to trouble-shoot the problem.

Dave

Old 11-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Hydraulic with a gear & track? Is it a hydraulic motor turning the gear? Bit confused.
Looks like they use the gear/cross-shaft to keep the room aligned regardless whether there's a electric or hydraulic actuator.

Dave

Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

There is only one push rod and it appears the gear system is supposed to keep it aligned. However one time putting the slide out, the back of the slide was six inches from being out completely when the slide stopped. I brought it back in and It came in all the way and since has gone out all the way. Putting the slide in and out is just not smooth. I am hesitant to even try it again fearing I will do some damage.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnort View Post
There is only one push rod and it appears the gear system is supposed to keep it aligned. However one time putting the slide out, the back of the slide was six inches from being out completely when the slide stopped. I brought it back in and It came in all the way and since has gone out all the way. Putting the slide in and out is just not smooth. I am hesitant to even try it again fearing I will do some damage.
Have you lubed the tracks/guides?
A little silicone lube did wonders for the main slide on my trailer.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Thanks. That will be my next attempt to fix it versus diving in and losing nuts and bolts. That is a little intimidating.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Any chance that you could have someone operate the slide drive while you're under there (and clear of the drive mechanism) looking to see what's happening?

Dave

Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #12

Mine does/did the same thing.
Lube your rails with what ever you want so they slide freely. You have a sigle piston that pushes/pulls the slide in/out and the gear on the shaft is just to keep it timed. By timed I mean going in/out straight. If for some reason it is not even fully extended loosen the gear wheel retaining nut and use a big screw driver or fork tool and turn the gear out to move the slide out. Should take about 10 minutes.
The set up of one piston and not evenly placed on the slide makes for some twisted openings and yes it can jump out of sync.
Our hydraulic ones are still far better than the electric ones with the track on the tops and bottoms..!

Oh and if your sitting for a while in one spot, I was told to move your slides in and out at least once every 4-6 months.

Hope that helps..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #13

This is unreal. You guys have all been great. Thanks for the help. This is an awesome resource especially to a newby to the fifth wheel world. THANK YOU!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

we have the same system so if you have a question or something about your slides let me know.

Yes, the forum and people here are great for ideas and info..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide