Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

FR Sierra 368fbds fifth wheel storage question

Hello, we purchased our Sierra RV about 5 months ago. We are preparing to store the RV for a period of time and I have questions on several things. First and foremost is the 12 volt system and protecting the batteries from excessive drain during the storage period. I have not seen a battery disconnect switch, honestly haven't really looked yet, but thought I would ask here first. Does this unit come with the switch factory installed, or do I need to install one? If I need to install a switch what is the best type to install. Thanks for any help or information!
JWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #2

Ok, found it, but, doesn't work

Found it in the cargo compartment covered by some stored stuff. Turned it off and everything still worked. Great workmanship by Forest River . I'll check to see if it is even wired in.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliam View Post
Found it in the cargo compartment covered by some stored stuff. Turned it off and everything still worked. Great workmanship by Forest River . I'll check to see if it is even wired in.
List some of the “everything” that still worked.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #4

Things that worked

Everything that worked on battery (shore power unplugged) prior to turning the switch off still worked after turning the battery cutoff switch off, so basically all of the 12v lights, refrigerator (120/12v), inverter. This was a bit frustrating as I plan to store the RV for a month before taking a long trip in May/June and don't want to risk damage to the two batteries in the unit prior to hitting the road.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #5

On my 2016 Sierra 377FLIK, the battery disconnect only affects the inverter circuit.
I installed an automotive disconnect switch at batteries that shuts off everything.
Make sure yiu buy one that can handle a lot if current, not the cheapo ones.
I think mine handles 80 or 100 amps.

Tags
fifth wheel, sierra, storage, wheel