Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #21

I've been hoping to see some pictures of the Sierra FLOK to see how much it differs from my Sandpiper FLOK. I've had some issues getting my hitch and I'm debating not getting an auto-slider hitch, but still nervous as I'm new to a 5er.
jpjn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjn94 View Post
I've been hoping to see some pictures of the Sierra FLOK to see how much it differs from my Sandpiper FLOK. I've had some issues getting my hitch and I'm debating not getting an auto-slider hitch, but still nervous as I'm new to a 5er.
What kind of pics are you looking for? The RhinoBox Pin Box itself on the Sierra or the trailer hooked up to my truck? I can get pics of the RhinoBox Pin Box on the trailer, but hooked up to my truck might be a few weeks as we still have some snow on the ground and my 5th wheel hitch is still in storage.

If you have any questions about my auto-slider hitch, I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.

- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsSierraNEWI View Post
What kind of pics are you looking for? The RhinoBox Pin Box itself on the Sierra or the trailer hooked up to my truck? I can get pics of the RhinoBox Pin Box on the trailer, but hooked up to my truck might be a few weeks as we still have some snow on the ground and my 5th wheel hitch is still in storage.

If you have any questions about my auto-slider hitch, I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear in that post, sorry. I'm curious if the nose of the trailer differs much from the Sandpiper to see if they are the same. Just wondering if an auto-slider hitch is needed or if a standard hitch would work.

I've never towed a 5er so a little nervous about it.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I should have been more clear in that post, sorry. I'm curious if the nose of the trailer differs much from the Sandpiper to see if they are the same. Just wondering if an auto-slider hitch is needed or if a standard hitch would work.

I've never towed a 5er so a little nervous about it.
The Sierra and Sandpiper are exactly the same and made side by side at the plant. The only differences are the color combinations on the exterior, the names of the interior colors and believe it or not the shape of the front caps!! The sandpiper does have a more aggressive front cap that looks to be more short bed truck friendly. I have even contacted Forrest river to verify that they do use different front caps!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Your 2019 Sandpiper will actually still use the 1621 PIN box, they didnt switch over to the rhino boxes until mid 2020 productions. They actually had some early 2020 models still being produced with the 1621 PIN box. So if you are worried about clearance I would just go with a sidewinder pin box with a non slider hitch! Unfortunately they do not have a sidewinder pin box available to replace the rhino box as of yet.

KSH I contacted Gen Y hitches and requested some pictures, videos and documentation of that gooseneck pin box hooked up to a Ram with Ramboxes. If they come through I will share them with you.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
Your 2019 Sandpiper will actually still use the 1621 PIN box, they didnt switch over to the rhino boxes until mid 2020 productions. They actually had some early 2020 models still being produced with the 1621 PIN box. So if you are worried about clearance I would just go with a sidewinder pin box with a non slider hitch! Unfortunately they do not have a sidewinder pin box available to replace the rhino box as of yet.

KSH I contacted Gen Y hitches and requested some pictures, videos and documentation of that gooseneck pin box hooked up to a Ram with Ramboxes. If they come through I will share them with you.
This is correct. Forest River switched over new redesigned floor plan changes and decorating/color schemes (which included the change over to the RhinoBox Pin Box) for their 2020 models on August 1st (or sometime around there). We ordered our 379FLOK in the middle of July and told us that it would start production in the second week of August, which would include the new changes. Our unit came off of the production line and was ready for pick-up on Aug. 28th. Units manufactured before Aug. 1st of 2019 would still have had the Lippert 1621 Pin Box. The biggest differences, that I can tell that, are that they redesigned the front storage area (generator location area), location of hydraulic pump system, battery locations, the propane tanks locations, interior color schemes, and of course going to the RhinoBox Pin Box. The exterior color stripes/swoosh patterns and front cap sticker design changed as well. I do believe the cap shape/design stayed the same and it will be the same as the Sandpiper's front cap shape/design.

- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #27

This is all great information and I’ll need to make some changes then for sure. My wife and I are tired of waiting around for the auto-slider hitch and want to use our new toy. We have a semi-long trip planned for Memorial Day and I really wanted to get some local practice runs prior to that trip.

Well, that and I already need to take it in for a mysterious leak in my underbelly that I can’t seem to find without taking off the bottom cover.

Thank you for all the advice! I do love how people share so freely on this site!
Old 03-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #28
KSH

Quote:

The gave me a guarantee that they'd take it back if it didn't work. I've got a broken ankle so I'm just not ready to take it on.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #29
David “Red” Cross

Quote:
That is correct Chad,

I did receive the info from Reese directly as well as Lippert directly that there is no other pin box currently to replace the Rhino box. I even reached out to Moryde and they do not either. I am sure over time they will, but for us folks who want that particular fifth wheel now, we are limited!! Chad do you have the ramboxes on your truck. The Lippert engineer believes that I could use the superglide with that rhino box and still have clearance when it slides all the way back!? I dont picture that working! LOL!

KSH thank you for that link, I have looked into that company before, I will check it out again!!

We just picked up our 2021 Sierra 384BQ9K. We had the dealer swap out and install a Moryde pin box. It was a direct replacement. They contacted the original pin box mfg, and they gave them all of the info.

We pulled it back home, approx 300 miles and didn’t have any issues. Several sharper turns on our trip home. We even stopped by an abandoned grocery store parking lot to check the clearances.
Pulling with a ‘17 F250 short box with a B&W slider companion. We have never needed to use the slider function but I like the uptown of having it just in case.
Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #30

Hey Red! Congrats on the fiver. I have the same 2021 Sierra 384 QBOK as well. So moryde has a replacement pin box available now!! I contacted them a few times during the springtime and early summer and they said they didnt have one yet to replace the rhino box. How do you like the moryde? Is it the same length as the original rhino box that came on your unit?
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #31
David “Red” Cross

Thanks. It is the same length as the factory. I think it was around $740 installed and I kept my factory pin box. I can’t compare because I’ve only pulled 5ers that have Moryde pin boxes. I know that they absorb a lot of the shock and eliminate a lot if not all Chucking.
As a side note, do you have the LG fridge? If so, any issues with getting the ice maker to function?
Red Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #32

Thats good to know that its the same length. If it was longer it might cause issues since I have the ram boxes on my bed. I do have the LG fridge. Mine is making ice, look at the ice maker in the freezer, there is an on off switch, black toggle. That could be your issue!?!
Old 01-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #33

October 2020 we bought a Sierra fifth wheel class c. The unit has the Rhino pin box. when we picked the unit up there was a chip on front end cap. Dealer said they would repair, then on the way home a sharp turn getting gas added to the chip. The box is too short and tucked way back. We have about 2 inch clearing when hooking up with tailgate down. this issue makes us very nervous. now we are worried about every turn. What is the replacement pin box??? Lippert said today there was not one????
DEBE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed