RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Front Cap Short bed Friendly?

Hey everyone, so I have had my eye on the 384QBOK for some time now. We are preparing to order a new build in the next few weeks. I have a short bed 6.5" and was planning on using the andersen ultimate hitch. I really would prefer that over a slider or pull rite auto slider. Looking to see what you are all using and if the front cap is angled well to get a good turing radius while still missing the cab of the truck. If you have pictures that would be awesome too! I have looked at the sandpiper same floorplan, they are made in the same plant side by side with the sierra but they use a different front cap!?! The sandpipers look angled more. Anyway I am going with the sierra and looking for some real owners feedback.
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
KSH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 272
I have a Chaparral 295x with the angled nose, I forgot what it's called. No issues with Andersen and my short bed. Ram 2500.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
LOL thanks KSH!! I actually just private messaged you!!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
Hey everyone, so I have had my eye on the 384QBOK for some time now. We are preparing to order a new build in the next few weeks. I have a short bed 6.5" and was planning on using the andersen ultimate hitch. I really would prefer that over a slider or pull rite auto slider. Looking to see what you are all using and if the front cap is angled well to get a good turing radius while still missing the cab of the truck. If you have pictures that would be awesome too! I have looked at the sandpiper same floorplan, they are made in the same plant side by side with the sierra but they use a different front cap!?! The sandpipers look angled more. Anyway I am going with the sierra and looking for some real owners feedback.
We have a 2020 Sierra 379FLOK that I tow with a RAM 3500 SRW with a 6.5' box. I purchased the Pullrite auto sliding hitch to fit a RAM puck system in the box of the truck. Once I started towing I realized that I really probably didn't need to go with an auto slider hitch. The front end of the Sierra is well rounded and with it sits in the box of my truck I have the same clearance to my back window as I would if I had an 8' box. I think there is plenty of clearance for my rear truck window to clear the front nose of the camper (with the new nose design. I bought the auto sliding hitch basically as a "better safe than sorry" precaution from what everybody told me in the past about pulling a 5th wheel camper with a 6.5' box. When my friend, who has an 8' box, pulled our Sierra we measured the distance from the hitch placement to the back window of his truck and compared it to mine, I thought the distances were the same. The difference in the trucks must be at the end of the box.
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Hey Chad! Congrats on the New Sierra!! Thank you for your feedback! I was also thinking about getting the pullrite auto slide hitch but I am looking for a light hitch, hence the andersen. Good luck with the new unit!! If you ever get a chance post me some pics of your setup and it all hooked up!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 166
I've never towed with anything else, but I love my Reese Revolution ("sidewinder"). I haven't tried, but I believe I'd have to go past 90 degrees before I could make contact with the back of the cab on my Ram 2500 short bed.
__________________
2012 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 CC SB Cummins
2016 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
Patrick (order taker), Barbara (order giver) & Jasper (Dutch Shepherd) and now Jade (Boxer/Lab/Pointer hybrid) aka PB&JJ
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
I've never towed with anything else, but I love my Reese Revolution ("sidewinder"). I haven't tried, but I believe I'd have to go past 90 degrees before I could make contact with the back of the cab on my Ram 2500 short bed.
Yeah I was planning on using the sidewinder as my pin box but The new sierras have a new pin box called the rhino box and it is not compatible with the sidewinder at this time. Definitely a great product from what I have read and seen!!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
Hey Chad! Congrats on the New Sierra!! Thank you for your feedback! I was also thinking about getting the pullrite auto slide hitch but I am looking for a light hitch, hence the andersen. Good luck with the new unit!! If you ever get a chance post me some pics of your setup and it all hooked up!
It might be a little while before I can get pics for you. I didn't take any last fall and there is currently a foot of snow that is sitting in front of my trailer, where I would hook the truck up. I'll try to get you some this spring when I get things moving/going for the 2020 spring.

From what I read, the Pullrites are 150 or so if you get them in the smaller sizes and/or without the OE puck system base. Because they only make one size for the RAMs, I had to get a 24K sized hitch. It takes to good sized guys to move it in and out of the truck. Once I installed it last summer, it stayed in my truck till I was done camping for the year. Hopefully I will be reinstalling it again soon for the 2020 season. I am thinking of installing an electric ceiling hoist/lift in my garage, above where the box of my truck sits, to help lift the hitch out of my truck by myself. My friend has one in his garage and it works great for that purpose.
__________________
Chad


- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Waukon Ia
Posts: 10
I have a Ram 2500 short box 4x4 with a B&W hitch set back in the box with a standard mount pulled a2014 Rockwood signature 8181SS then a 2018 Wildcat 32WB and now a 2020 Rockwood signature 2898KS I could jackknife all three with no cab strike.
Skiveywaver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
KSH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsSierraNEWI View Post
It might be a little while before I can get pics for you. I didn't take any last fall and there is currently a foot of snow that is sitting in front of my trailer, where I would hook the truck up. I'll try to get you some this spring when I get things moving/going for the 2020 spring.



From what I read, the Pullrites are 150 or so if you get them in the smaller sizes and/or without the OE puck system base. Because they only make one size for the RAMs, I had to get a 24K sized hitch. It takes to good sized guys to move it in and out of the truck. Once I installed it last summer, it stayed in my truck till I was done camping for the year. Hopefully I will be reinstalling it again soon for the 2020 season. I am thinking of installing an electric ceiling hoist/lift in my garage, above where the box of my truck sits, to help lift the hitch out of my truck by myself. My friend has one in his garage and it works great for that purpose.
I assume at 150lbs you don't have the pull rite super lite correct? My super lite is about 50lbs.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 962
I tow with an older Chevy Duramax short box. Old trailer was a flat nosed Montana and had to use the roll back hitch all of the time to back into a tight space. Bought a new (2017) Crusader and have shimmed my old school roll back to stop it from clunking and creaking. I never need it now, and do a 90 degree cut without issue. I, like many others, had considered the fancier hitches that move back as you turn, but it just wasn't needed after the new trailer purchase.
__________________
2003 Duramax
2017 Crusader 315

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
Yeah I was planning on using the sidewinder as my pin box but The new sierras have a new pin box called the rhino box and it is not compatible with the sidewinder at this time. Definitely a great product from what I have read and seen!!
I was just reading about that design change. The Rhino Box is a pin box that does not swivel like the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution.

Im not sure where you got your information about compatibility but Lippert and Reese would be the definitive sources for whether or not the Reese Sidewinder could be used on that new Lippert frame design.

Here is some contact info for Lippert from the article on the frame design change

Lippert Components, Inc.
3501 County Road 6 East
Elkhart, IN 46514
Email: marcom@lci1.com

And here is the article itself for anyone interested.

https://www.lci1.com/forest-river-ad...20-model-units
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
KSH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 272
Adapter for pull rite

https://www.pullrite.com/331723
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
KSH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 272
Cutty,

Try this conversion. They said they guarantee it will work with the rambox.

https://genyhitch.com/product/execut...-torsion-flex/

Nothing needed in the bed but the ball.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I assume at 150lbs you don't have the pull rite super lite correct? My super lite is about 50lbs.
I meant that I've read that the Pullrite OE hitches rated for 16000 lbs are about 150lbs in weight. My Pullrite OE hitch, for my RAM truck, which is rated for 24,000 lbs weighs about 250 to 300 lbs (with the heavy duty base on it). I wished my hitch was a little lighter so I could move it myself. It is what it is but I like how it handles with my new 42' Sierra.
__________________
Chad


- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I was just reading about that design change. The Rhino Box is a pin box that does not swivel like the Reese Sidewinder or Revolution.

Im not sure where you got your information about compatibility but Lippert and Reese would be the definitive sources for whether or not the Reese Sidewinder could be used on that new Lippert frame design.

Here is some contact info for Lippert from the article on the frame design change

Lippert Components, Inc.
3501 County Road 6 East
Elkhart, IN 46514
Email: marcom@lci1.com

And here is the article itself for anyone interested.

https://www.lci1.com/forest-river-ad...20-model-units
I have the new Rhino Box pin box on my new Sierra 2020 5th wheel. Because Pullrite didn't make a catch plate for the Rhino Box when I went to take delivery of my new 5th wheel, I tried switching out the Rhino Box with a Lippert Roto Flex head. I thought it would be no problem because they both are made by Lippert. Wrong! The one minor difference is that on the Rhino Box, the bolt holes are a 1/2" different than the previous Lippert Pin Boxes. I think this is the reason why that if the trailer has Rhino Box pin box, that no other style of pin box will work with it. It was a crappy thing of Lippert to do, but if your new trailer comes with a Rhino Box pin box, good luck in finding another pin box to fit the Rhino Box bracket bolt holes.
__________________
Chad


- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsSierraNEWI View Post
I have the new Rhino Box pin box on my new Sierra 2020 5th wheel. Because Pullrite didn't make a catch plate for the Rhino Box when I went to take delivery of my new 5th wheel, I tried switching out the Rhino Box with a Lippert Roto Flex head. I thought it would be no problem because they both are made by Lippert. Wrong! The one minor difference is that on the Rhino Box, the bolt holes are a 1/2" different than the previous Lippert Pin Boxes. I think this is the reason why that if the trailer has Rhino Box pin box, that no other style of pin box will work with it. It was a crappy thing of Lippert to do, but if your new trailer comes with a Rhino Box pin box, good luck in finding another pin box to fit the Rhino Box bracket bolt holes.
That is correct Chad,
I did receive the info from Reese directly as well as Lippert directly that there is no other pin box currently to replace the Rhino box. I even reached out to Moryde and they do not either. I am sure over time they will, but for us folks who want that particular fifth wheel now, we are limited!! Chad do you have the ramboxes on your truck. The Lippert engineer believes that I could use the superglide with that rhino box and still have clearance when it slides all the way back!? I dont picture that working! LOL!

KSH thank you for that link, I have looked into that company before, I will check it out again!!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
That is correct Chad,
I did receive the info from Reese directly as well as Lippert directly that there is no other pin box currently to replace the Rhino box. I even reached out to Moryde and they do not either. I am sure over time they will, but for us folks who want that particular fifth wheel now, we are limited!! Chad do you have the ramboxes on your truck. The Lippert engineer believes that I could use the superglide with that rhino box and still have clearance when it slides all the way back!? I dont picture that working! LOL!

KSH thank you for that link, I have looked into that company before, I will check it out again!!
I don't have the RAM Box on my truck. I have the standard 6'4" box on my truck with the tow package, which includes the pucks in the base of the box. Sorry I don't have any pics of how the camper/hitch sits on my truck when connected. I won't be able to get you pics for a few weeks as there is still snow in my way to hook up the camper to the truck and plus my hitch is still in storage. I can tell you that with the Pullrite SuperGlide hitch in my truck bed, it does sit high enough that my Sierra 5th wheel sits a good 6 to 8 inches above the top of the box walls on the truck. When the camper is connected to the hitch in my truck, I am still able to get my head and arm/shoulder in the space between the top of the wall of the box of the truck and the underside of the camper. If you're worried about the height between the camper and the top of the bed box wall, Pullrite also sells a high profile foot kit that will raise the hitch up another 1-1/2" and a 3" lift kit for the traditional rail bases. If you have any questions about using the Pullrite SuperGlide hitch with your RAM truck with the RAM Box, contact Pullrite directly and they will answer your questions. I had to go to them about getting my capture plate (that was still in prototype testing yet) so that I could tow my new camper last September. From what I have heard from other RAM owners, the reason why RAM doesn't recommend towing a 5th wheel with the RAM Box is because you can not open the storage box lid/top to be open 100%. I have seen pics (on another forum) of a Ram truck with the RAM Box towing a 5th wheel so it is possible. Hopefully this helps you out.
__________________
Chad


- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
That is correct Chad,
I did receive the info from Reese directly as well as Lippert directly that there is no other pin box currently to replace the Rhino box. I even reached out to Moryde and they do not either. I am sure over time they will, but for us folks who want that particular fifth wheel now, we are limited!! Chad do you have the ramboxes on your truck. The Lippert engineer believes that I could use the superglide with that rhino box and still have clearance when it slides all the way back!? I dont picture that working! LOL!

KSH thank you for that link, I have looked into that company before, I will check it out again!!
If you have any other questions, I found these other forum articles to help:

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/to...rambox.239230/

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/ne...-hookup.232661
__________________
Chad


- 2020 Sierra 379FLOK
- 2014 RAM 3500 SRW Cummins 6.7L
- Pullrite 24K OE SuperGlide for RAM (puck system)
ChadsSierraNEWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #20
KSH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadsSierraNEWI View Post
I don't have the RAM Box on my truck. I have the standard 6'4" box on my truck with the tow package, which includes the pucks in the base of the box. Sorry I don't have any pics of how the camper/hitch sits on my truck when connected. I won't be able to get you pics for a few weeks as there is still snow in my way to hook up the camper to the truck and plus my hitch is still in storage. I can tell you that with the Pullrite SuperGlide hitch in my truck bed, it does sit high enough that my Sierra 5th wheel sits a good 6 to 8 inches above the top of the box walls on the truck. When the camper is connected to the hitch in my truck, I am still able to get my head and arm/shoulder in the space between the top of the wall of the box of the truck and the underside of the camper. If you're worried about the height between the camper and the top of the bed box wall, Pullrite also sells a high profile foot kit that will raise the hitch up another 1-1/2" and a 3" lift kit for the traditional rail bases. If you have any questions about using the Pullrite SuperGlide hitch with your RAM truck with the RAM Box, contact Pullrite directly and they will answer your questions. I had to go to them about getting my capture plate (that was still in prototype testing yet) so that I could tow my new camper last September. From what I have heard from other RAM owners, the reason why RAM doesn't recommend towing a 5th wheel with the RAM Box is because you can not open the storage box lid/top to be open 100%. I have seen pics (on another forum) of a Ram truck with the RAM Box towing a 5th wheel so it is possible. Hopefully this helps you out.
I can open my ram boxes just find. No issue with both the Andersen ultimate or the pull rite super lite.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bed

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.