Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 02:47 AM   #1

Frozen valves or holding tanks

Anyone ever have your valves for your holding tanks or the holding tanks themselves freeze? If so, how did you thaw them out? I am in temps in the teens and twenties and going to try and dump tomorrow hopefully i am not frozen I am in a 2016 Serria 355re. Temp in the trailer is in the middle seventies in the cargo bay also middle seventies. There is a small electric heater in cargo bay.
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #2

Can’t say I have. I’d probably get some of that heated rope and wrap it around the pipe with insulation on top of that and some sort of last barrier for wind.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Did the tanks themselves freeze up or just the valves? I had heated tanks and have had the valves get frozen before. I used a heat gun on low to thaw the valves out. The warmer water from the tank kept them from freezing up during the dump process. If you plan on camping really cold weather on a regular basis they do make pipe and gate valve heaters.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

By all means Read the Info from "UltraHeat" that wahoonc posted! Our unit has Ultraheat pads on all 4 tanks and the discharge pipes as well as the discharge valves! All controlled by 1 on/off illuminated 12 V switch! Youroo!!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

Got home to Michigan (back from trip to Florida) with temps in the 20's. Valves where froze. I tried to thaw them with a electric hair dryer for about a half hour and still not able to move actuators. The forecast was for temps in the mid to upper 30's so I decided to just wait and not risk damage to the seals. If you could wrap the valves with something non flammable to hold the heat while using a hair dryer or a electric heater that might work.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Happened to us in Missouri in 20 degree weather. Used a hair dryer for about 10 minutes on the grey water valve and it opened. Packed space around valves with towels the next night and did not have any more problems.
amp345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:45 AM   #7

Dumped my tanks today there was no problem everything worked ok. I guess sat, sun, and Monday will be the real test lows for those nights will in the single digits. While I was at it I replace my leaking water filter and regenerated the water softener. I installed a valve in between the dump hose and sewer pipe on my trailer, I closed that valve left the galley tank valve open and dumped 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze down the sink so it would run down to that valve. Two things I am trying to accomplice here is one this will help keep the cold air out of the dump pipe and two it will keep the end valve from freezing shut. Thanks everyone for writing in.
Okiefatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, valve