Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

heated underbelly

I have a 2017 sierra 365saqb I thought my underbelly was heated but according to forest river it is not. The thing that is confusing is looking at the website under features it lists heated and enclosed dump valves and a fully enclosed underbelly, but if you look at the sandpiper it lists fully enclosed and heated underbelly. I know the sandpiper and sierra come off the same assembly line and i thought they were basically the same camper so why is the sandpiper list heated and the sierra not. Also how are the dump valves heated if the underbelly isn't. I don't do a whole lot of cold weather camping but there are times it gets below freezing. I do have the heated holding tanks but just wondering if there is any other heat in the underbelly
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #2

Is there a heat vent in the docking center where all of the hookups are located? That would be “heated dump valves”

The underbelly (between the coroplast and subfloor) is generally not insulated but the storage areas can be “heated” by a furnace vent being directed there

Generally the “heated” tag is not going to be sufficient to prevent freeze ups if it gets too cold 🥶
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

No there is no heat duct or anything in the docking bay but the furnace sits just on the other side of the plywood so it should get a little heat from that. I know the underbelly has the foil lining and i thought it would get radiant heat from the heat duct running through the floor, but i guess the duct is sandwiched in the floor and no heat gets to the underbelly. Just curious to what the sandpiper does different to be able to say it has a heated and enclosed underbelly.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:24 AM   #4

Our 343rsok sierra has a 1.5" duct off of the furnace blown through the floor deck into the sealed belly area. It just blows hot air down around the ranks and plunbing.
spaach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

The sad truth is nor the Factory Reps or the local salesperson know this answer.

We purchased a Alpha Wolf last year and the literature then was vague at best. In speaking with the "experts" they noted it was indeed heated.

After our first cool weather trip (29 deg at night) we found that not to be true even though it had a " cold weather package" we had pipes freeze. The valves ( gray and black) are above the under belly enclosure which would make one think it was set up for cold weather...... not...

I pulled the underbelly and installed some duct work and insulated all the piping to aid with problem....

The simple fact is the push them out the door as fast as they can..... Quality is not a consideration .... after 7 repairs that were all warranty issues in the first year..... Buyer beware..
pbcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaach View Post
Our 343rsok sierra has a 1.5" duct off of the furnace blown through the floor deck into the sealed belly area. It just blows hot air down around the ranks and plunbing.
I dug into this also with Coachman, and ours has a 2" duct from the forced air heat into the underbelly. I'm sure if you pursue it with your manufacturer, you'll get the answer.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underbelly