Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 06:35 PM   #21

Forgive my ignorance, but if the tracks that my slide moves on are perpendicular with the wall the slide moves in and out of, the rest of the trailer walls can be any old dimensions and have no effect on the slide pulling up tight
Old 08-06-2021, 09:53 PM   #22

How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but if the tracks that my slide moves on are perpendicular with the wall the slide moves in and out of, the rest of the trailer walls can be any old dimensions and have no effect on the slide pulling up tight
How do you know that the tracks are not parallel to the front and back walls.

You are making the dubious assumption that they are perpendicular to the side wall.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Old 08-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinduff View Post
Originally Posted by eagle670 View Post
So I just measured the camper.
Front= 96 1/4"
Back= 96 7/8"
So it is just shy of an 1" off and not the 1 1/2" that the dealer said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Actually it’s 5/8 of an inch, so just shy of 1/2 inch off.

Here’s a good argument for the metric system lol.

There is NO Good Argument for the Metric System for those of us who grew up with the English System used in the US.

We have been the worlds leader in so many areas and did it all with that system.............Perhaps you should be the ones to change, ..eh?

BTW, 5/8" is 'just shy" of 1/2" it is just over 1/2"
Old 08-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
How do you know that the tracks are not parallel to the front and back walls.

You are making the dubious assumption that they are perpendicular to the side wall.

I would have to ass-u-me that they ran perpendicular as well, but even if ran parallel. Wouldn’t adjusting/ moving the rear or front of tract possibly both work to get a better seal
Old 08-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #25

I have a Forest River 24RLXL that I have to get the whole slide mechanism replaced - mine wont sit flush while retracted in. Front of slider was more flush then the rear that appeared to have a 2 inch gap. Mines been in the shop for two months now... Maybe there's something wrong with your rack assembly as well. I too waited a while to bring it in for service. Wanted to get some camping and experience done before i experience some loss of use.
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn - 5.7 Hemi with 3.21 Gears
Max tow is 8500 LBS with 1788 Payload capability.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #26

We have only used the camper three times since purchasing it last October, so we didn't notice the slide issue until a couple of months ago and it took that long to get an appointment with the dealer. I can only go by what the service center is telling me about the issue, they also told me that this is more common than you might think, which is concerning. Anyway I'll wait to hear from FR and then go from there. Thanks for all the positive input, you negative folks need to stay off of these forums.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
There is NO Good Argument for the Metric System for those of us who grew up with the English System used in the US.

We have been the worlds leader in so many areas and did it all with that system.............Perhaps you should be the ones to change, ..eh?

Arrogant people rule!
Old 08-12-2021, 07:38 PM   #28

I've fought this battle just a lil over a year ago with a new (2019) Wildcat. After making enough noise, arming myself with enough ammunition (pictures and documents) Forest River ended up buying my unit back at 100% of the purchased price, plus they also gave back the trade in allowance ($3,500) and an additional $800.00. Contacting Forest River is a nightmare I don't care to re-live.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #29

Uneven slide

Check your slide arm tube that runs the length of the slide. Our slide from day one did not open and close properly. We had the dealer check it a couple of times and an independent shop once. Each said it was adjusted as good as possible.
What none of them noticed is that the bar was installed with just a couple of bolts to hold in place during installation. NO ONE noticed that the remaining bolts were never installed.
The bar and bracket were torquing and twisting under that slide until they broke and gave way. The whole slide on the door side nearly fell out on the freeway near our home. The only thing that caught it was…as the slide tipped out the lip off the floor of the slide caught under the kitchen island.
Thankfully we were not to far from home. We crawled it home (praying we would make it)
A friend of ours recommended a mobile RV guy to come out and look at it. (Because it was not towable enough by any means to get it to a repair shop).
What a great guy! To our good fortune he is a retired metal fabricator.
He walk up and his first words were holly s@#t I thought you were exaggerating!
He jacked up and braced the slide. He pulled out the bar and brackets and showed us where there should have been bolts and where there were only a couple of pressure marks where there had been a few bolts.
He spent the entire weekend back and forth from his home shop and back to our RV. He fabricated new braces, brackets and put in a new tubular bar. He added even more support then original, adjusted the slide movement and level. The slide has never worked so good! He also checked the super slide on the kitchen side and adjusted it and put in some extra angel supports. That was about two years ago. Not a single problem with the slides since.
Needless to say I was livid! I called F.R Cardinal division (I took pictures of everything) along with our Past repair orders and sent them off to F.R. They did reimburse us for everything and also took care of some other issues we were having. I have to say they did stand behind there product.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
it will depend on the state, but you can file lemon law on a motorhome in Texas. Been there, done that. You can't on trailers of any type.
I had a friend that actually filed a lemon law on a motorhome that they bought in the state of California but they live in the state of Nevada
Old 08-12-2021, 09:44 PM   #31

+1 for Cable slides! At least if a slide is off kilter it can be pulled in with some adjustments.

What is the gap on the slide and does it match what the dealer said or what your difference in measurement is? If the gap is larger than the measurement difference then the issue isn't the body, but the mechanism(it's a rack type?) is misaligned. When the slide is fully out, is the interior trim fitting tight all around or does it also have a gap on the opposite side from the outside?

On my Arctic Wolf it was in twice for a gap in the rear seal on the street slide, and both times was told it passes a rain test, whatever the heck that is. I tried contacting the Arctic Wolf division and got NO response, I even uploaded pictures of the light I can see coming through. The issue I have is the slide itself is not square. The interior side leans in at the top about 1/2" while the front where the face it is square. Only repair IS to replace the slide, but it is now out of warranty because it was in the shop for 8 months and burned it up. I don't see that any water got it, and I don't see any water inside when I power wash the slide, but they had "adjusted" the cables and moved the slide out of whack, and in the process ripped the bottom of the seal with the gap in it.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
As far as I know there are no "Lemon Laws" for RV's.

Who and how did they determine that the back was 1˝" wider than it was supposed to be?
If the dealer said that it was out of spec, I'd contact Sierra directly and get them involved to make sure it really is out of spec.

Are they returning the unit to the factory to do the work? If so, then it will be better than new when you get it back.
You may wish to review this - Is Your New Motorhome a Lemon? Stern Law, PLLC Explains New RV Lemon Law
Old 08-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #33

Quote:

The fact that we are discussing whether 5/8" is just over vs just shy of 1/2" underscores why the metric system is superior to imperial. I'd hate the transition, but in the end, we'd be better for it.

And I'd correct your statement to read

We have been the worlds leader in so many areas and did it all despite using that system.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:33 AM   #34

Quote:

We have been the worlds leader in so many areas and did it all with that system.............Perhaps you should be the ones to change
There was that one little problem with the Patriot missiles due to our non-metric system. Remember that one?

https://www-users.cse.umn.edu/~arnol...s/patriot.html

Bruce
Old 08-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
Arrogant people rule!

I do not think Im arrogant at all.

Look at history, judge the facts and there you have it!
Old 08-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
The fact that we are discussing whether 5/8" is just over vs just shy of 1/2" underscores why the metric system is superior to imperial. I'd hate the transition, but in the end, we'd be better for it.

And I'd correct your statement to read

We have been the worlds leader in so many areas and did it all despite using that system.
You'd still have the same discussion whether 54 centimeters it a touch over or under 1/2 meter.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:43 AM   #37
Site Team

Thread Closed for review of off topic hijack
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread