Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

Jacking up and placing jack stands on Sierra 355QBQ

Can anyone tell me where to jack up the camper and place jack stands? Also, 6 ton stands verses using 12 ton stands. What wold be recommended? I am getting ready to replace all of the tires, brakes and repack the wheel bearings. Going to look at springs and hope there is no sag and the need to replace one or more as well. Has anyone upgraded there 6k axles to 7K?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

Not a seirra owner, but ill try to help. On your jack stands, 6 ton stands are more than enough.
On your trailer I would place the jack directly under the u-bolts on the axle and lift there.
You may be able to lift one axle, and both wheels come off the ground- while not advisable for long periods of time this is acceptable as load weights are constantly changing as the trailer travels.
You could place one jack stand at the rear- of the rear axle mount and use the front landing gear for the other support,....... but I would also place another jack stand infront of the front spring mount. This ft jack stand would keep the added stress from the axle weight from being displaced further forward, plus these areas I recommend are the areas designed to handle this kind of stress.

As too the 6k-vs-7k axles being swapped, there have been several in the Sandpiper section ( Fwi- this is the seirras twin) that have done 7k axle swaps, and alot done under warranty. You might look there, I think there is more activity there then under the seirra section on this subject ( I could be mistaken though).
How this helps some!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

If you have springs, you have a "walking beam" between the wheels that the rear of the front spring and the front of the rear spring attaches to. I would place the jack on the walking beam and lift both wheels off the ground and put the jack stands under each axle between the "U" bolts that hold the axle to the springs.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Oc, wouldn't you be a little leary of placing a jack on the equilizer? If these actually had the beam like my tri-axle gooseneck trailer does, I would agree.
But on these 5ers the equilizer would have to be picked up with a bottle jack (to get behind or thru the tires for access) and I would be a little 'afeared that the equilizer would shift a dump the whole thing.
Heres a pic of the trail air setup of equilizer, and a standard equilizer setup, and this web pic even shows what I was refering too on the setup... kind of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393296840714.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	46767   Click image for larger version

Name:	1393296857375.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	46769   Click image for larger version

Name:	1393296881029.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	46770  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Would use a floor jack, not a bottle jack on that setup.

I use a bottle jack with a special socket that goes over the jack post and reaches up to the 2x4 frame and hooks behind the vertical flange on mine which has Alko torsion axles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00296.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	46773   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00297.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	46774  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Yeah, I would use floor jack too. My point was, with tires on you cant get the floor jack between them, on alot of trailer setups. And getting at the equalizer from underneath the trailer and trying to jack it up is alot of trouble, Even for a pup like me.
I guess the OP can see what would fit in his case.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Yeah, I would use floor jack too. My point was, with tires on you cant get the floor jack between them, on alot of trailer setups. And getting at the equalizer from underneath the trailer and trying to jack it up is alot of trouble, Even for a pup like me.
I guess the OP can see what would fit in his case.
I've run into the same problem, just use the floor jack from inside rather than outside between the tires. Extra effort, but it does work. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the info and pics. They are great. Just want to make sure I do this right and safely.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra