Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Half-Timer

Lippert 6 Pt Levelup loss of fluid

My 2017 378FB 5er with the 6 pt level up system, seems to have lost hyd fluid from system. Used the unit since May 2016 with no problems. After 30 days of being parked, I Notice the front had lowered while parked in yard. When I went to raise it I found the fluid level to be low. There does not seem to be any leaks anywhere that I can find.

We travel April to Oct and frequently change campsites so the system is operated frequently during the summer.

My assumption is this is a closed system and should not have any loss of fluid. I will refill the system and keep a closer eye on the tank level. My question is "Has anyone else noticed a need to add fluid during the season when operating the unit?" and secondly "If there is a leak why isn't it visible during routine inspection."

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #2

You may want to check around each cylinder leg wipe with a rag and see if you aren't loosing a little there not enough to notice by just looking.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #3

All six cylinders should be in tow position before adding fluid.
My tank looks low when a six are down but at normal level when in the up position.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Half-Timer

With 4 of 6 up and the 2 front mostly up my tank level was ~2 inches from empty.

SOB
Old 02-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

If you are really losing hydraulic fluid, you have a leak somewhere. Are your slides hydraulic also? Is the bottom of your RV sealed and possibly holding fluid? Bring everything hydraulic in/up and mark your reservoir so you can check in the future. Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #6

We had to drop the belly cover to find our leak which didn't show up for over a year. It was a loose connection at a "T" fitting between the rear legs and slides---again something else from the factory that we ended up paying to fix.
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtrkr View Post
We had to drop the belly cover to find our leak which didn't show up for over a year. It was a loose connection at a "T" fitting between the rear legs and slides---again something else from the factory that we ended up paying to fix.
How do you know it was leaking from the factory? Sounds like regular maintenance to me. Every year I go through the rig and tighten everything. Amazing what works loose over time.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Someone here had a leak under the bed where connections are for that slide. Another spot to check.
Carpet there could hold quite a bit of fluid unnoticed. I hope yours is somewhere else.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #9

Had the same issue last year with new Sierra. Found leak in rear. Small leak but enough to warrant trip back to RV dealer. They replaced hydraulic piston that was leaking. No problems since but keeping an eye on fluids.
Tsgtmlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #10

We are watching ours closer now. Pull a few screws to check with flashlight. RV shop mechanic said ours had probably been leaking since built due to the amount of fluid on the cover. It was a slow leak.
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

Possible hydraulic leaks

I see some good advice already. I took my Cedar Creek to dealears twice and told them the leg that was leaking and neither dealer could find it. I could see transmission fluid in the round foot shoe that rest on the ground. Finally I open the slide and tighten one of the fittings that was only finger tight. I suggest you look at all hydraulic fittings including under the bedroom slide to see if a fitting is leaking on the ram that pushes and pulls that slide in and out. While you are at it make sure the hydraulic hoses under the bed will not have more than a 45 to 60 degrees bend with the slide closed. Mine had about a 100 degrees bend when closed and at about 30 months old the hose blew 5 quarts of transmission fluid under the bed. Just a note you won’t be able to see all fittings because some are between the undercarriage and trailer floor.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #12

Definitely check under the bed if you have hydraulic slides. Had the bed ram leak 1.5 gallons before it was found.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #13

You have a leak somewhere, your cylinders should not be bleeding off.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Half-Timer

Question Puzzled with oil leak

Dropped the bottom covering and found oil in the area of the "right side" slide out cylinder (this cylinder is located at the rear of the slide). None of the fittings are leaking (they were dry to the touch) and the cylinder seal does not seem to be leaking.

Cycled the slides in and out several times (3) as mobile rv tech watched for leak. No observable leaks.

I have spread news paper on the bottom covering and will observe for a day or so then I will cycle the slides again to see if there is anything to show up.

Since May of 2016 I have lost roughly 2 quarts of hyd fluid.

I am baffled, could a leak seal itself? Why is there no oil residue on any of the fittings? What can I do, that I have not already checked, to find the leak?

SOB
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptylerp View Post
Dropped the bottom covering and found oil in the area of the "right side" slide out cylinder (this cylinder is located at the rear of the slide). None of the fittings are leaking (they were dry to the touch) and the cylinder seal does not seem to be leaking.

Cycled the slides in and out several times (3) as mobile rv tech watched for leak. No observable leaks.

I have spread news paper on the bottom covering and will observe for a day or so then I will cycle the slides again to see if there is anything to show up.

Since May of 2016 I have lost roughly 2 quarts of hyd fluid.

I am baffled, could a leak seal itself? Why is there no oil residue on any of the fittings? What can I do, that I have not already checked, to find the leak?
If there is oil pooling, there is a leak. You need a new slide cylinder. I'm surprised the tech didn't write up the warranty claim in such a way as to get it approved (assuming it is still under warranty). If the tech won't support you, call lippert and/or FR directly.

I had to browbeat a tech once for the exact same thing. Always a pool of fluid under the slide. No leak when operating, but it seemed to seep out when stationary. When finally replaced under extended warranty, no more pool
Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #16

My 2017 Sandpiper is going to the dealer on May 4th to have all 3 slide cylinders replaced under warranty, all leaking at piston seal.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #17

Having similar issues. Wonder if there is a class action law suit. These things cost too much money for these types of issues.
Duramaxjb is offline   Reply With Quote