Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Looking for advice

Hi all,
New to this forum. I am currently an owner of a 2017 Cougar X-Lite 28RKS 5'er. We are looking to upgrade to a 2017 Sierra 378FB. Looking for advice from current Forest River product owners, especially Sierra owners. Why should I buy a Sierra? Why shouldnt I? Ready, set, go!
Cleve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #2

I have a Sierra 5th wheel, they all have their ups and downs, but mine has so many issues, it's not even funny. Only advice I can give is go over it with a fine tooth comb before you buy it, I mean, even down to the track for the shower door. Yes, mine was installed backwards so when water hit the shower door, it drained onto the bathroom floor instead of the shower.
Mcnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Yikes! Thank you for your input. We are looking at a 2017 378FB. We are also looking at the Palomino Columbus 366RL. Another FR product. I am starting to believe they are all made at the same factory since many of the problems are similar. I guess its like Chevy, Ford, Ram, Etc. They all make junk and you luck out when you get a good one! LOL
Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

Friends of ours actually have a Columbus. They have had the whole shelving unit in the pantry cave in on them, so yeah, you're right, it's all junk, I hope you are one of the lucky ones.
Mcnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
Half-Timer

Sierra 378 FB

We have a early 2017 build (build date May 2016) of the 378FB. We have really enjoyed it. Some issues with the A/C needing a modification for better return air flow. Later builds changed the rear A/C to a different unit. I run the front A/C (fan only) to help keep the temperature equalized between bedroom/bathroom and the rear of camper when only running the larger rear A/C. With out running the front ac fan the bedroom/bathroom will be several degrees colder than main living area of RV.

Only real issue has been the wheels/brakes. Recently all brakes and lr brake drum were replaced and seem to be ok. Have ran several thousand mile since the warranty replacement and all is good.

Just checked the weight distribution and found the left side of RV to be heavier than right side by several hundred pounds. Left side kitchen, pantry, refrigerator, and washer/dryer combo, causes more weight to be on the left side. Somehow we will make some load changing changes to shift weight to right side.

All said and done we wouldn't want any different setup.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Thank you for the info Ptylerp. Not sure when this one was made. We will be towing with a 2015 2500 Ram with 6.7 Cummins. We will not have the washer dryer set up, as we are recreational campers. I think our 2500 will handle just fine. Your thoughts?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Half-Timer

May 2016 to March 2017 we had a RAM 2500 crewcab with Cummins diesel. The payload was 2400 and change pounds. It pulled the trailer fine but I was concerned with pin weight as we are on the road with it for 5-6 months each year. Thus wife loads the wardrobe heavier than week end or weekly trips.

As it is with the washer dryer combo and summer loadout my pin weight is in the 2900 pound range (just had it weighed.

The 3500 is a little more stable towing than the 2500 was.

With the 2500 my fuel was 11-13 mpg, the 3500 is 10.5-12 mpg. The engine and transmission are the same. Either it is either in gearing or exhaust emissions setup. A RAM tech said RAM is dodging the emission police with some changes to reduce emissions honestly.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

As stated check your cargo before buying....or be prepared for a new truck. The diesels will pull the world, but payload suffers.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote