Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Sierra front kitchen fifth wheel and hitch

We are looking to purchase the Sierra 2019 fkok fifth wheel. We have a Laredo travel trailer and nervous to purchase a different model and not sure which hitch is better for the ram 3500 short bed we have now?
Can anyone give advice?
Camp family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 AM   #2

Getting advice on a hitch is like asking Ford, Chevy or Ram. I decided to go with the Andersen for our 384QBOK and our Ram short bed. A slider type hitch is another good alternative.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #3

Hitch

Thank you !
Looks like they are offering a pullrite superglide. Hope this is a good choice?
Camp family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

We have a Ram 2500 shortbed. We have plenty of manuvering ability with the Anderson.

Due to limited cargo capacity we went with the Anderson. At #27 the DW can remove it. The B&W ball was an easy install. Our truck did not have pucks.

If weight is no problem any of the auto slides sound great. The downside is they are heavy.

I also liked the B&W one that plugs into the ball. Really flexible.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Half-Timer

Sidewinder for short bed

We have a RAM 3500 srw megacab shortbed with RAM boxes and use a sidewinder hitch. Have towed the 5er for 3 years and some 15,000 miles with no problems. It provides plenty of clearance (cab to 5er front cap) and is stable on the road.

We do not remove the fifth wheel hitch from truck as I don't have need to haul with it. When we purchase another 5th wheel we will in all likely hood go with a sidewinder hitch setup.

SOB
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

We have a Ram 3500 standard box with a 2019 Sandpiper 384qbok. Our hitch is a Demco 18k Autoglide. So far no complaints. I like the ability to tow any 5er (as long as it doesn't have a Morryde pin box) because the Demco doesn't require a key plate like the Pullrite. I think Demco offers a solution for the Morrryde box now. Also like the peace of mind not having to worry about a manual slider. I'm sure the Pullrite is an excellent hitch too based on how many are sold. I did consider the Anderson hitch too, but was still somewhat skeptical about cab to nose cap clearance. I found my demco on CL brand new as a guy near me upgraded to a different truck and 5er setup after using it only one time. Disadvantage of the Demco and Pullrite is their weight. Takes minimum of 2 guys to lift it if you dont have another method of picking it up. I use a tractor with front end loader so not a big deal but it stays in my bed most of the time as I rarely use my truck bed for hauling anything big.
ambeaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #7

Having used many different types of hitches in trucks with 6.5' beds, I always advise to use a Sidewinder type kingpin box with a standard fifth wheel hitch. Hands down the best no-brainer option in my opinion. Solves all the problems easily.
Research all the options well and make an informed decision.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, sierra, wheel