Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Washer/drier worth it or not

We have a 365BHOK and are thinking about getting a combo washer/dryer. I was wondering if anyone out there had one and what they thought about them. Are they worth it and do they do as good of a job as my home unit. It is a lot of money to spend just want to make sure it's worth it before I make the jump. Thanks
Fireman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

If I bought a big RV I would definitely get the WD set. Why hang out at some ghetto laundromat when you could be at the site or...?
Most of the time clothes just need a light rinse.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Always Learning

I voted against it. At the end of the day, $1,200 is a lot of quarters and loads at a laundromat/campground facilities! My wife's vote is still for one. Fortunately the checkbook is on my side.

As for "as good as a job" - getting them clean, I believe the answer is yes. Getting them as wrinkle free- not without extra steps. In the same amount of time- not by a lot. This is just from what I've read. But, there's a very particular process if you go with one of the combo units (washer and dryer in one). Unfortunately for us- that's all that will fit.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Well, just be careful of the water you hook up to. As much as I like where we camp, the water has a lot of iron and turns everything, including clothes, yellow or orange. We had to purchase a $1,000.00 iron filter to prevent damage, but on the road...it wouldn't be practical. Therefore, just look at and smell your water before you wash your clothes in it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman422 View Post
We have a 365BHOK and are thinking about getting a combo washer/dryer. I was wondering if anyone out there had one and what they thought about them. Are they worth it and do they do as good of a job as my home unit. It is a lot of money to spend just want to make sure it's worth it before I make the jump. Thanks
If you camp for more than two weeks at a time, yes! Splendide 7100 XC.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

We ordered one with our 365 not in yet but we know we love it my parents have one there rv and we used it all the time. Worth every penny
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

We also have the washer and dryer in our 365. We use it more then I thought we would, especially with kids. The wife thanks me for it almost every time she uses it.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #8

I think it's a matter of who goes with you and how long you're gone. 2 people doing the once a month weekender ~ not so much. A family who camps together frequently is a totally different story. When our kiddos were in the 7-14 range and were very active out it would have been a nice option. Most of the places we went had laundry facilities and we found that doing 5 loads at once (washing and drying) was a better use of our "vacation" time.

just a thought...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #9

We have a Splendid in our motorhome. It gets used nearly every day for our family of 4. Capacity is not as large as home unit and the cloths get clean and dry but definitely come out more wrinkled than a home unit. The spin cycle def. rocks the camper.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
ETF

Can I be a "not sure".

It depends on what sort of camping that you're going to do and how many people that you're hauling with you.

We had a washer/drier installed in our 5th wheel. Over the years I think it was used a total of 3 times. My wife didn't like it or the job that it did. At the campgrounds we stay at there is usually (always) a good, clean laundry room with multiple full sized machines and she much prefers using those. Besides, it gives her a chance to chat with other campers during the spin cycle.

In our new MH we opted to not have one installed at her insistence. It's easy to carry enough clothes, linens and stuff for a 3 or 4 week trip and use the campground laundry if necessary.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #11

The nice thing about the 365 (which I think you said you were ordering) is you can get the whirlpool front loading washer and dryer. It's not quite as large as a home model, but still pretty large, and the dryer is stand alone, so you can wash while you are drying. We use ours almost every weekend, even if it's just to wash the towels and sheets when we're done weekend camping.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote