Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #1

312BH Sink and Slider Door Fixes

Just wanted to post this as a heads-up for other 312 owners. Ours is a '14 model. Overall it's been a great trailer - however there have been two issues that have been nagging almost from the get-go.

#1 is the sink. It's only held in place with 3 small hangers that are screwed into the underside of the counter. With the heavy sink covers and lots of bouncing down the road and load from doing dishes we've had a hard time keeping the sink tight to the counter. Usually I first notice that the sink covers are no longer sitting flush.

I have tried adding more screws, more hanger straps, and even some plumbers hanger under the entire sink to no avail. Here is the latest fix - I made 4 legs out of PVC that when all joints are tight just wedge up to the sink. I can then loosen a joint or two to extend the leg which tights up against the sink:

#2 is the bathroom sliding door. We love how it makes us feel like we have a master bathroom, but we have had a hard time keeping the door secured to the wall. There is no inner wall support behind the lower slider rail so the screws holding the slider to the wall are only biting into the paneling. The screws into the door have also loosened up and stripped out with repeated tightening over time.

The door was barely hanging on - so it was either try to improve it or remove it and settle for a curtain in its place. I choose the former - my fix ain't pretty but I think it will work.

I mounted (clear-coated for rust-prevention) strap steel to the other side of both the wall and door and replaced the wood screws with through-bolted machine screws:

If you have a 312 I'd recommend inspecting these two items to see if you are having the same issues.
Boyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

I have a 312QBX and sliding door was broken at PDI, i fixed it myself but I think it won't last forever, I'll look into your fix. No issues with sink yet. Mine is a 2015
Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

I noticed in your case you have the hook\hanger on the side of the door....I would assume to hang a wet towel or two. Do you think that might have contributed to the issue? We have done the same thing....but have not used the hook yet.

We would all hope that there would be enough backing and reinforcing in this wall to hold the door track hardware since it was also designed to carry the weight of the bedroom TV. I guess not....

Thanks for the heads-up....I'll inspect mine this weekend.

2015 Forest River Wildcat 312BHX
2015 Ford F-350 4x4 SRW SWB PSD
NOLE-FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLE-FAN View Post
I noticed in your case you have the hook\hanger on the side of the door....I would assume to hang a wet towel or two. Do you think that might have contributed to the issue? We have done the same thing....but have not used the hook yet.

We would all hope that there would be enough backing and reinforcing in this wall to hold the door track hardware since it was also designed to carry the weight of the bedroom TV. I guess not....

Thanks for the heads-up....I'll inspect mine this weekend.
I put the hook on and no, I don't think a single towel hanging there would affect the door more than sliding the door back and forth, and the door hanging there while going down the road.

There is backer in the middle of that wall for a TV - but it's not behind the entire wall.
Boyink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, slide