Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Antenna wiring question

We have a 2006 Wildcat. I want to remove the antenna cable that runs up the wall to the rooftop antenna. Has anyone done this? Without removing the wall panel?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to remove the Concertone, reach in and pull the cable down through the wall.

Why? We don't watch TV, don't even own a TV. We do like to listen to terrestrial radio, though, and we do make lots of use of our Ubiquiti Picostation. I want to install a decent radio antenna, and I'd like to mount the Picostation on the antenna pole as well. Ideally, I'd run the antenna wiring and a new Ethernet cable up through where the antenna cable is currently.

So far, I've had zero luck pulling that cable down through the wall. I'm guessing it might be fastened somewhere? I've also tried getting on the roof and pulling the cable up - still doesn't move an inch.

Any suggestions on removing the cable are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
swpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

I do have a different model them you. I have a 275ck that I have just ran Ethernet cable for my bullet M2 that I have mounted to the TV antenna. On mine there is a vent pipe about 2 feet from the antenna. I ended up pulling off the vent cap and running the wire down beside the vent. I had to pull off the wall panel from inside the basement and then ran it down the frame to the back slide out. Up the slide out into the entertainment system. That is where I put the router. It took about 6 hours and two people but well worth it now. All I have to do is power it up and lift up the antenna and I’m good to go.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

Are you talking about FM radio? If you want to install a radio antenna you can use the same cable as is used for the TV antenna. In fact depending on the type if antenna up there it may work for FM too.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:20 AM   #4

Nice! I was hoping to not have to pull the wall panel. If I have to do that I'll probably try to replace the RJ-11 phone plug on the outside of the RV with an Ethernet plug instead
Old 04-09-2016, 05:24 AM   #5

We get crap FM reception from the factory antenna. I'm hoping to put a nice omni up there. I know I can use the existing cable but I was hoping to run an Ethernet cable up the same route. Figured I'd put a new antenna cable in too if I had to pull it to get the Ethernet cable in there
Old 04-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

I don't know your trailer but don't you have 2 antennas? One for the TV and one for the FM radio.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I don't know your trailer but don't you have 2 antennas? One for the TV and one for the FM radio.
I don't think so. Not 100% sure though. Single antenna on the roof with a single run of coax going down into the RV.

I'm currently thinking about removing the antenna from the mast and trying to figure out how to gracefully mount something along the lines of a Winegard HD-6010 in its place.

Still would like to run the Ethernet cable down into the RV from up there too without having to pull a wall panel but it might be impossible unless the wall panel is out of the way

Tags
antenna, wiring