Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Anyone have the 282RK?

We are thinking of driving several hours to go look at and probably buy a 2014 282RK. We like the shorter platform as it will fit in our steel building nicely. One thing we are concerned about is the bedroom looks fairly cramped. Is this an issue for anyone that has one of these? It's probably not going to be a game changer, but would like to hear from anyone that has experience with this model.
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #2

I had a 2016 262RGX and believe the layout to be very similar. The things I did not like about the bedroom layout was the there was very little room to navigate around the Q/S bed and that there was zero cross ventilation with only one window on the passenger side. Maybe not a big deal to some, but in warm weather, without running the A/C, it is nice to have some fresh air moving. Of course, you could always add a fan to the roof vent in the B/R. The other thing that I did not care for was the sofa in the l/R was almost unusable to sit on and miserable as a trifold bed(bar running across middle of bed).
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

My only issue with our previous 282RKSS was the head banging on the slide out. At six feet tall I sometimes forgot to duck when sitting at the dinette/kitchen booth. Also the queen bed was on a platform and you have to remember to step down slightly in the middle of the night. Other than those minor issues we loved the experience.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
I had a 2016 262RGX and believe the layout to be very similar. The things I did not like about the bedroom layout was the there was very little room to navigate around the Q/S bed and that there was zero cross ventilation with only one window on the passenger side. Maybe not a big deal to some, but in warm weather, without running the A/C, it is nice to have some fresh air moving. Of course, you could always add a fan to the roof vent in the B/R. The other thing that I did not care for was the sofa in the l/R was almost unusable to sit on and miserable as a trifold bed(bar running across middle of bed).
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't the vent over the bed add some cross ventilation? Anyway I decided to not go to Oregon to look at the 2014. I am going down to Sacramento and look at a 2015 262RGX at Camping World tomorrow although they have it priced waaay too high. We like that layout better than the 262RK as it has a large rear window, and the bed at least has nightstands along side it.

Also going to look at a 2015 Open Range Light 297RLS which we really like in the pics. Wish me luck!
Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
My only issue with our previous 282RKSS was the head banging on the slide out. At six feet tall I sometimes forgot to duck when sitting at the dinette/kitchen booth. Also the queen bed was on a platform and you have to remember to step down slightly in the middle of the night. Other than those minor issues we loved the experience.
The dinette slide shouldn't be an issue. The wife and I are both pretty short, so we are more concerned about everything being too high. We had a class A motor home that had the raised floor. Didn't really care for it, but lived with it.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

I traded in my 2016 262RGX at Big Country RV in Redmond, Or. Just looked on the website and it is still there and they are asking $39K for it. I think that is on the high side, myself. I am 6'1" and had plenty of room in the slide at the dining table. Actually, I was most comfortable there, as neither the wife or I found the sofa to be comfortable. As to ventilation with the bedroom vent being open - not really. The bedroom window, passenger side, is also an emergency exit and only opens out about 4 inches at the bottom, so not a lot of open window for air to move through. If i had kept the 262 RGX, I would have put a maxxair fan in the overhead vent to cause air to move through. Summers, BR gets real stuffy,
Old 03-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I traded in my 2016 262RGX at Big Country RV in Redmond, Or. Just looked on the website and it is still there and they are asking $39K for it. I think that is on the high side, myself. I am 6'1" and had plenty of room in the slide at the dining table. Actually, I was most comfortable there, as neither the wife or I found the sofa to be comfortable. As to ventilation with the bedroom vent being open - not really. The bedroom window, passenger side, is also an emergency exit and only opens out about 4 inches at the bottom, so not a lot of open window for air to move through. If i had kept the 262 RGX, I would have put a maxxair fan in the overhead vent to cause air to move through. Summers, BR gets real stuffy,
Actually they are asking $40k for it ($39,995) and that is very high, but is what we are looking for. Most dealers I have seen would have that around $33-$35k. I have looked all over Oregon, Nevada, California and Idaho for one at a reasonable price. What we have to take into consideration is sales tax here in Nevada. A $35k RV will add $2500 tax, plus close to $1000 to register it.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #8

Speaking of uncomfortable sofa, I went down to Camping World in Sacramento a couple of days ago, and after reading that the sofa was uncomfortable, I sat in one........and it was HORRIBLE. Definitely would have to be replaced if/when we get one of these.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #9

Here's the other thing about that bifold sofa: the bar runs across the middle of the bed when you fold it out and you almost have to be catawompass to sleep on it. Also, it is a poor design in the folding, middle hinge, right side looking at it, as there is a protruding metal hinge that wore a hole in the sofa after 3 nights use. Fortunately, caught it on last day of warranty and FR fixed it. Sitting on it, the seat is not long enough, the back is short and the cushions (back) almost push you off the sofa. Wife and always fought over who got the rocking chair rather than sit on the sofa! BTW SeventyGTX, did you get my PM to you?
Old 03-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
BTW SeventyGTX, did you get my PM to you?
Yes I did, and responded back.