Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Anyone have their front cap wrapped?

Our Wildcat is out of warranty, and the cap is starting to do the typical fade on top. I called the only shop around that does RV repair, and they said to paint it would be super expensive as they will not do it unless they remove the cap. Screw that!

The guy I talked to recommended I get it vinyl wrapped instead and gave the name of a shop that can do it. Anyone had that done to theirs? Are you happy with it?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Our Wildcat is out of warranty, and the cap is starting to do the typical fade on top. I called the only shop around that does RV repair, and they said to paint it would be super expensive as they will not do it unless they remove the cap. Screw that!

The guy I talked to recommended I get it vinyl wrapped instead and gave the name of a shop that can do it. Anyone had that done to theirs? Are you happy with it?
Factory replaced mine but does not guarantee that it wont do it again. I will have it wrapped if it does it again. Much cheaper than painting and has a five year warranty. And when they replaced it I didn't have decals put back on so I could wrap it if it happens again.
pokechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

I contacted two companies locally and neither one would do a wrap on the front cap because of the many different contours​ and no edge to seal to.

They said it was a guarantee to fail. Because of the above reasons and the surface texture and the director impact of the direct winds attacking the surface while driving.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstillman View Post
I contacted two companies locally and neither one would do a wrap on the front cap because of the many different contours​ and no edge to seal to.

They said it was a guarantee to fail. Because of the above reasons and the surface texture and the director impact of the direct winds attacking the surface while driving.
I was wondering about the contours being an issue and no edge is why the paint shop wanted to remove the cap. I sent a pic of my cap to the local guy, but have not heard back.

Not sure what I will do. Maybe make up some scaffolding and keep buffing/waxing on it. Fortunately I keep it under cover and it only gets the morning sun a couple of hours a day.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I had mine painted about a month ago in Virginia. Didn't remove the cap as far as I know. They did a nice job primed, painted and clear coated. About $1500. 00.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #6

I had an estimate of $1,500 to paint the front end cap (California), haven't done it yet.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I had mine painted about a month ago in Virginia. Didn't remove the cap as far as I know. They did a nice job primed, painted and clear coated. About $1500. 00.
Is that price for the whole camper or just the cap?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

For $ 1500.00 I'd do it in a heartbeat. No need to remove cap.

Local shop initially quoted me $ 1250.00 to prep, paint and replace factory decals. (I got the last set from manufacturer for my 2012 Sterling Edition). Deal was I'd wait until the slow season last winter.

I waited but it never came. We agreed to do the work this last January. When I took it back to do the work. Price jumped to $ 4800.00.

Turns out they were doing a lot of insurance work and my job didn't pay enough.

They raised the cost to price me out of doing the job there. So $1500 is good price, take it.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Is that price for the whole camper or just the cap?
Just the front cap. It't was taken down to bare fiberglass. primer, paint and clear coat
Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstillman View Post
For $ 1500.00 I'd do it in a heartbeat. No need to remove cap.

Local shop initially quoted me $ 1250.00 to prep, paint and replace factory decals. (I got the last set from manufacturer for my 2012 Sterling Edition). Deal was I'd wait until the slow season last winter.

I waited but it never came. We agreed to do the work this last January. When I took it back to do the work. Price jumped to $ 4800.00.

Turns out they were doing a lot of insurance work and my job didn't pay enough.

They raised the cost to price me out of doing the job there. So $1500 is good price, take it.
Had it done... looks good. Factory gave me the decals body shop included decal install in the price.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

I think most restrictive is the height of the RVs. A buddy of mine has a truck body shop(used to) and he would most certainly be able to get an RV in to do the job. I don't know of an auto body shop that could fit one in their shop much less the booth. They would have to spray outside.

All that to say if you had a small truck body shop to do it I think the price would be more reasonable. Around here prep and paint... $1500 would get quite a bit. Quart of color and a couple quarts of clear, primer/sealer, tape and plastic $150?? leaves some extra for labor. I think the worst part would be decal removal and the sealer on the edges of the cap... JMO I am also not sure I wouldn't single stage it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, the RV shop I called that wanted to remove the cap is the only one around that has the facility to do it, and it's 70 miles away in Reno. I would cringe, but definitely get it painted in base/clear (no single stage) for $1500 w/decals if I could find someone to do it.

We just got back from camping and there was a trailer there that was fairly new with a dark gray front cap like ours that is faded horribly. Looked like crap, and I don't want ours to ever look like that.

Oh, and I had been talking on email with a guy from Forest River about an antenna issue I had. Once I mentioned the cap starting to fade...........our conversation ended.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
B47

Just a thought about RV caps peeling,fading and generally just not standing up to the rigors they're exposed to.

Why couldn't RV manufactures use the same type material to make their front caps as airplane manufacturers use to make radomes ( the front nose on airplanes that houses radar equipment)? I'm pretty sure cost is one limiting factor,but those radomes hit the wind,rain,sleet,ice and lighting at speeds over 600 mph and stand up well to those conditions.

Just wondering.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Just a thought about RV caps peeling,fading and generally just not standing up to the rigors they're exposed to.

Why couldn't RV manufactures use the same type material to make their front caps as airplane manufacturers use to make radomes ( the front nose on airplanes that houses radar equipment)? I'm pretty sure cost is one limiting factor,but those radomes hit the wind,rain,sleet,ice and lighting at speeds over 600 mph and stand up well to those conditions.

Just wondering.

From what I have been told, a lot of the issues come from garbage materials in the gel coat, thanks to EPA regulations. Not surprising. If they just painted them with automotive base coat clear coat, they would last much longer.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
From what I have been told, a lot of the issues come from garbage materials in the gel coat, thanks to EPA regulations. Not surprising. If they just painted them with automotive base coat clear coat, they would last much longer.
If I understand what you're saying,why are airplane manufacturers allowed to manufacture radomes?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
If I understand what you're saying,why are airplane manufacturers allowed to manufacture radomes?
I have no clue about anything in the aero industry, just going on what I was told with current gel coat materials.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Had it done... looks good. Factory gave me the decals body shop included decal install in the price.
I'd never replace the decals,,, not if free or if they paid me to.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'd never replace the decals,,, not if free or if they paid me to.
3 5th wheels never had trouble with decals.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #19

Outback trailers had a problem a few years ago where the front cap supplier failed to put the UV protector in the gelcoat. The top of the caps faded from chocolate brown to light tan/off white. The factory paid to have them all repainted, none of the caps were removed. A good automotive paint with clear coat should last for years.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #20

Poli-Glow makes a kit that you can buff out the faded cap, then apply the Poli-Glow with a mitt that is also in the kit. It will take you 3-4 hours if it is really bad like ours was. BUT, when finished the cap will look like new. It lasts about a year here in S Louisiana until all you have to do is apply another coat of the Poli Glow....no buffing....about a 30 min job

I found it a wonderful solution at less than $150 and a bit of labor.