Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
All around good guy

Arizona trip

We headed for Arizona in our 5th wheel back on the 13th of October to see if doing the snowbird thing was for us. We just got back to the Seattle area and are already sick of the weather and ready to go back.
I found the slide adjustment bolt hitting a tire shortly after bringing the new trailer home so I worked with the factory in Dallas Oregon to fix it on my way south. They were great, installed larger spring equalizers and a new tire.
Our 295rsx performed great. We found a few other little things that the dealer is now fixing as I type but for the most part we are very happy with it.
After towing down California 99 both ways, I am having the dealer install a Trail-Air pin box. Some stretches of that road are brutal. A total of 94 days spent in the 5th wheel. The worst part of this whole experience was dealing with Direct TV idiots.

2015 80 days, 2016 13 days
drifterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I'm in Quartzsite now and the suns out.....Have Direct also, what kind of problems did you have?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterdon View Post
We headed for Arizona in our 5th wheel back on the 13th of October to see if doing the snowbird thing was for us. We just got back to the Seattle area and are already sick of the weather and ready to go back.
I found the slide adjustment bolt hitting a tire shortly after bringing the new trailer home so I worked with the factory in Dallas Oregon to fix it on my way south. They were great, installed larger spring equalizers and a new tire.
Our 295rsx performed great. We found a few other little things that the dealer is now fixing as I type but for the most part we are very happy with it.
After towing down California 99 both ways, I am having the dealer install a Trail-Air pin box. Some stretches of that road are brutal. A total of 94 days spent in the 5th wheel. The worst part of this whole experience was dealing with Direct TV idiots.
Sounds like you were taken good care of! I know what you mean about Direct TV. Spent no less than 4.5hours on the phone, 5 different times in a week trying to get an SD receiver for the RV. When I finally got to someone who spoke English as a first language, it took a matter of minutes. Direct TV actually has an RV division, which would have saved a lot of explaining and headaches as to what I wanted.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
English does make a difference.....only thing I've run into here was not being able to get Portlands local channels here.....was able to get 'em in Nashville. Was told I can get'em here, but then the DW won't get them there.....so I get locals from Phoenix on the ant....pia to toggle and re-scan every time
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
All around good guy

Getting the local channels is a pain in the butt. Getting someone to understand what was needed on their end was the hard part. What needs to be done is the "Service address" needs to be updated to where you are, then a new signal sent to the receiver. One or two reps could do it quickly, others not so. In fact I had one guy tell me there was nothing more he could do while I was in Tucson. In fact in some places like Yuma, and Desert Hot Springs, the local channels are beamed in HD. So if you have an antenna like mine a Carryout 2G, it doesn't work anyway. I had to toggle and scan a number of times.
I know that Dish network has an attachment to their receiver that gets the locals wherever you are and even plugs them right into the menu.
I plan to check out the pay as you go feature of Dish and see if DTV can be suspended when I travel. It may be time to migrate to Dish. Safe travels Bob.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

drifterdon....

You will love the TrailAir Pin Box !!

I put one on my WC 30rlbs and it made a world of difference.
No more chucking and the dips and bumps are smoothed out nicely.

Did you get the TriGlide or the PivotPin style ?

My wife and I have a hard time giving up television while 'roughing it'.
We certainly are not boon-dockers for anything more than an over night.
So we like the comforts of entertainment and amenities close at hand.
I suppose that a satellite TV set up would be our answer for more serious travel.

Our WC was built at the Dallas outlet. Didn't know it was still in operation.

Why did you take route 99 instead of i5 ?
In planning a trip (for next winter) if we head south, I was thinking of taking route 101 (coast hwy) from Newport to Santa Rosa.
I haven't heard much of the condition of 101... but I do understand that there is a lot of Hwy infrastructure upgrading required everywhere.

Enjoy your travels .

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #7

Whenever we used our Directv on the road, we used our "off-air" antenna to get the local channels. I do realize that if you're out in the "boonies", off-air can be a hit and miss situation. We just happen to snowbird in areas that get good off-air reception which we liked as it was HD. This precluded all the "area reprograming" by directv and that was just fine with us.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
All around good guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
drifterdon....

You will love the TrailAir Pin Box !!

I put one on my WC 30rlbs and it made a world of difference.
No more chucking and the dips and bumps are smoothed out nicely.

Did you get the TriGlide or the PivotPin style ?

My wife and I have a hard time giving up television while 'roughing it'.
We certainly are not boon-dockers for anything more than an over night.
So we like the comforts of entertainment and amenities close at hand.
I suppose that a satellite TV set up would be our answer for more serious travel.

Our WC was built at the Dallas outlet. Didn't know it was still in operation.

Why did you take route 99 instead of i5 ?
In planning a trip (for next winter) if we head south, I was thinking of taking route 101 (coast hwy) from Newport to Santa Rosa.
I haven't heard much of the condition of 101... but I do understand that there is a lot of Hwy infrastructure upgrading required everywhere.

Enjoy your travels .

Islander
I am having the one called the Flex-Air installed.
We went down 99 because one of our stops was in Lodi where we met some family. Back in October a portion of I-5 was closed for about a week because of a mud slide. Even going down 99 we still had to go through there (Grapevine) after 99 met back up with I-5;

Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifterdon View Post
My wife went to AZ November 1 and just came back to Seattle because it was soooo cold down there even though she had some sunny days. I drove 99 down and thought it was OK. I-5 coming back through the valley was terrible. 1,000 miles of dry road and 700 miles of rain.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
Retired Electronic Tech

70 degrees in Phoenix today (Jan 21)! Oh, ya, lots of sunshine!
1995 Cobra Monterey MH; 2000 Monaco-HR MH;
2006 Montana Mountaineer FW;
2016/2019 Flagstaff Micro Lite TT; 2010 Chevy 1500
retiredtechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
All around good guy

On our trip back it was overcast through California and solid rain through Oregon. From Salem to Seattle was pretty nice though.
We spent December in Yuma. Won't do that again. Dusty windy and just plain dirty.
Loved Tucson though.