Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Battery and propane locks

Just wondering if I should buy locks for the batteries and propane and if so how serious of a problem with people stealing these at campgrounds?
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #2

If you are worried about that, the only safe place to camp is your backyard.........I've never had a concern or heard of battery or propane theft.

my 2 cents.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Are you talking while camping or in storage? Personally, in all my years I've not heard of a single instance of propane or battery theft while camping. On the other hand, I have heard of a few instances of battery theft from campers stored in public storage facilities. For the latter, I'd just have the battery home and on the trickle charger anyway.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

I've heard of the theft but never first hand. Bikes & tools now that's a different story...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

I did put and chain and lock on it while it is at storage, However, we are getting ready to take a trip tomorrow, Wed. 1-28. While camping, would be a different issue.

The chain is just a deterrent, as it can easily be overcome.
Just my peace of mind, thinking I did something!

2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #6

I've had both the battery and propane stolen in the same incident while it was parked in the driveway. To solve the propane problem, I drilled a hole in the wing nut and the cross bar holding down the bottles. I bought a a good lock with a long shank to lock the bottles. I bought a rubber covered steel cable and Master lock to secure the battery. I also bought a rubber covered steel cable and Master lock for the spare tire. Just don't forget the keys to these locks when you go camping.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Sorry if it's happened to anyone. I have heard of it at primitive campsites. The more the more vigilant's.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #8

Actually Dave you could camp in my backyard the views are amazing we can see two major ski resorts from it......Again we always tent camped but someone we know said that they have had two occasions where the battery was taken from them while camping in a NY State campground so hence the question.
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

Yes I know it happens but it is so rare to have theft in a campground. 30 plus years of camping no theft of anything (we rarely even lock the doors while we are out).......... Have only heard of a few that lost their beer in a outside frig to a teenage thief........ & a few 4 legged thieves..... of food...

If I lost 2 batteries think I would find another campground

Heard more issues of hit & run.... Back into your truck or trailer & leave.

Would rather let the fire dept have free access to the battery & propane in an emergency (another thread recently)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

4 years full time and we keep our 5 gallon backup sitting under the trailer no lock , never lost it and it's usually full. Now I am an avid hunter and we do have a rottwieler and had a pit bull for two of those years.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #11

Talking Theft???

Campers do not steal from campers as they have no room for additional items!!!!...j
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Never heard of it in a campground but storage, that a whole different thing. There is a lock on the market that uses a combination instead of a key. Some of the previous messages have some good ideas too.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
2012 Micro Lite 21 FBRS

I once had a battery swiched. My good battery for someones cracked junker. It happened at either a campground or a local dealership where I had my yearly free checkup. Dealer brought it to my attention and as soon as I looked at the battery, I knew it wasn't mine. One thing, this battery was exposed to the elements (dirt road dirty) and mine didn't have a blue top on it. Can't say for sure when and where it happened, but it won't happen again. I bought a metal strap with eye for a tamperproof lock.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #14

Cool Stolen Battery

I have had my batteries stolen while parked - in front of my house! Apparently your local tweaker can get $8 - $10.00 for it as a core charge from recyclers. I lock mine with a cable now. If you are worried about the lock impeding a fireman, I can tell you as an ex fireman (volunteer) we always carried BIG cutters to take care of locks on our trucks. Lots of folks lock their home electrical supply boxes and we nipped them right off to kill the power.
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #15

theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggw View Post
Never heard of it in a camp ground but storage, that a whole different thing. There is a lock on the market that uses a combination instead of a key. Some of the previous messages have some good ideas too.
I tried to get those combo locks but they will not fit 1 1/2" thick doors. The threaded portion is only just over an inch.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #16

Theft

When I store my TT, I remove the battery and the tanks and put them in my storage shed on my own property. That way I can fill the tanks before spring, and keep a trickle charger on the battery. When spring comes everything is up to snuff.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, propane, lock