Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Big Mistake? Silverback vs Wildcat

We have 2012 Silverback 29RL that has been a lot of grief since new. The dealer we bought it from has the worst service dept with the most inept techs. Problems with furnace and ducts. Then microwave took a crap and the fridge control panel. Problems with water heater and bedroom A/C. Dealer sold us extended warranty that they said would cover everything YEA RIGHT. Some items happened in the first year and were repaired. The fridge,A/C and seal around slider happened after the first year. Dealer told us just the seal was covered by extended warranty. They said we would have to pay to trouble shoot the rest. Well cost $300 and said they fixed it. Next trip trouble with fridge and A/C. We have just lived with it. Our last trip had a blow-out on driver side,minor damage to the rig. We had tire replaced next town and put on. Couple days later blow-out on passenger side and it did a number on the rig. Same trip water heater died so had to stay in hotel waiting to get it fixed and replaced the rest of the tires that had less then 1200 miles on them. Insurance didn't cover tires but did cove $6000 in damage to the rig. So we have had enough with the Silverback. Made the mistake of taking wife to RV show. Saw 2015 Wildcat 333MK and wife got the bug to trade. I am asking myself if I am making a big mistake trading in the Silverback for the Wildcat. Taking a beating on the Silverback which I think might have fixed everything now. Getting bigger payments and may go through same problems again but wife has the itch. So Friday is the day are we screwing up?
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

In one word "Nope", buy it, I'm sure it will serve you better than what you have....

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
Site Team

67cudafb, First off welcome to the forum.
The blow-out sounds horrible!
They all can and will have problems of things not working and poor workmanship. We did the upgrade after just a year trading a 2013 for a 2014 and we are glad we did.
Goodluck

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Campfire Master

Welcome! Glad you're here.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, these days, buying any RV is like rolling the dice. Really hope your new rig serves you well for many years.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Many of us (me included) bought an "extended warranty" from our dealer expecting the "CAR" experience. (NOT FR "extra year" since I did not know they even existed at the time - see the FAQ section)

You know; the one where anything we are not happy about, regardless of cause, gets fixed for free.

I, and nearly all (but not all), are sorely disappointed when the real terms of the contract are actually read. Some actually require the work to be done at the SELLING dealership and you have to beg them to cover a "covered" part while traveling. Going to a same model dealer (like your car) does NOT remove the requirement to get prior permission to get a "warranty" repair from the vendor of the Extended Warranty.

Dealers sell Extended Warranties base on the COMMISSION they get for selling it; NOT the coverage YOU get. This is PURE PROFIT for the dealership/salesman.

Some things are pretty universal and bear CONSIDERABLE watching.

1) They will not pay if it is YOUR mistake that broke it.

1a) If you extend the electric tongue jack or front landing gear with the rear stabs down crushing them on your BRAND NEW camper; it is not covered.

2) If it is covered under the broken item's original warranty

2a) If you blow a tire and damage your camper, you will need to claim under your truck or trailer's collision insurance for body damage. You may need to prove collision with road trash depending on your insurer.

The TIRE is covered by the tire company (MAYBE); the damage may be covered by the trailer's or truck's collision. The tire will only be covered based on age and tread depth by the manufacturer OF THE TIRE; PROVIDED it was proven to be a defect to the manufacturer. To do this you must ship the failed tires to them (NOT FR). You will pay UP FRONT for the shipping, which will be reimbursed IF the tire(s) is defective. NO reimbursement (AT ALL) if the failure was determined by the tire company to be from overloading, speed, underinflation, or road trash.

2b) Even though the roof has a 10 year warranty, ONLY MATERIAL WEAR is covered.

That tree branch you backed into that cut the material is not covered; at all (again try your trailer's collision coverage).

That wall or roof delamination caused by a leak at a penetration (Roof Vent for example) most likely will not be covered because the DEALER did not do the quarterly roof sealing maintenance mentioned in the extended warranty. (Again you may need to contact your auto insurance regards Comprehensive Coverage on your trailer).

2c) Appliances have THEIR OWN coverages and you must deal with them yourself under some Extended Warranty policies.

The original FR one year warranty just covers shipping, handling, and labor getting the appliance to the manufacturer of the failed appliance. Dometic for your fridge, for example; Dometic is on the hook for the fridge ONLY. The manufacturer may have a much longer warranty than 1 year; though some are only for 90 days (FR covers the rest to 1 year).

The Chef microwave in my camper has a 90 day defect warranty, BUT the Magnetron is covered for 10 years.

3) As stated earlier, if your camper is "damaged" your trailer's damage needs to be covered by your auto insurance; NOT your "warranty".

If moving when the damage occurs, you get fixed by your collision coverage.

If parked when the damage occurs, you get fixed by your comprehensive coverage.

If you blow a bearing on the highway, you get towed by your towing coverage and you PAY for the bearing repair (a maintenance item remember). NORMALLY, maintenance items, like brakes, bearings, roof sealing, etc., are not covered items under extended warranties.

Hope this helps with future decisions on extended warranties.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #6

Like someone said buying anything these days is a crap shoot. I have not had any problems with my 2012 Silverback it is a great trailer. Even though your switching brands all the components will most likely be the same as your Silverback, Dometic refrig....ect. But If I had that much trouble I might look for a change myself. Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Wow Thank for all the response! The dealer we are working with is Travel camp in Jax Fl. When we were at the RV show I talked to them about extended warranty and he said why you have a one year and he didn't want to sell extended warranty as he said they aren't worth paper its written on. I asked about FR extra year and said $150 and it covers just like the first year. So far I am happy with this dealer and they are working to help keep this deal as painless as can be. The most important thing is I want to keep my wife happy and this floor plan has much more inside storage then the Silverback.I feel better knowing that others have traded a fairly new camper in and we are not being foolish. Tomorrow is the big day! I will let y'all know how it goes. Thanks Bill
Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

We are extremely pleased with our Wildcat 353LS. That being said it did have to make a trip back to the factory for some pretty major reworking of one side. And there have been a few minor issues that we worked though.

However, I would not hesitate to buy another Wildcat RV.

Keep in mind that it is not always the manufacture or the brand that makes the difference in your RV choice. It's kind of like playing poker, you learn to deal with what cards are drawn and make the best hand out of that you can. Sounds like your Silverback was a trash hand to you. May your Wildcat be a Royal Flush......that almost doesn't sound any better. How about may it be like being dealt four Aces with the kicker.

Of course if you were a plumber it is often said that a flush beats a full house any day. But then that is a totally different subject.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #9

I hope you like your new Wildcat? We just got a 2015 Wildcat 327.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #10

I brought a Wildcat Sterling from the factory and it stayed in the shop more in the year I had the camper than I had it. I traded it in for a Cedar Creek 30RL and it was a great camper. I just traded the 30RL in for a Cedar Creek 32RL and I am taking the camper to the shop tomorrow morning for some little things. I have found out that if you take a camper back to much the dealer will think you are a whiner

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #11

67cudafb - X2 what Herk said (and he covered it VERY thoroughly!)

Regarding extended warranties, you may consider looking at Good Sam's as EW's go, I think the Good Sam one is the best of the lot.

The wildcat is a very popular 5er - One Option that it has is to "upgrade" your tires to Maxxis. Consider doing this or alternatively buy Goodyear Marathon's one class higher than the stock tires on your rig.

Almost ALL of the tires on RVs sold today are made in China and are not, shall we say, the highest quality.

Goodyear Marathons (my preferred brand) and Maxxis are the two most recommended tires on this forum. Personally, I would not pull my new rig off the lot without them.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #12

China Bomb

Click image for larger version

Name:	051.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	70760

Click image for larger version

Name:	046.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	70761The Wildcat has Maxxis tires on it already. I don't know if from the factory or if the dealer Travel Camp Rv. We have already seen first hand the damage China bombs can do and it ain't pretty.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #13

I had the same experience with my 2013 Silverback with the tires. Blowout on opposite sides within 100 miles of each other. Severe damage to siding and wheel well trim. Also had a laundry list of poor workmanship. No major appliance issues.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #14

It is my opinion that quality varies greatly unit to unit. Our dealer bought back our 2014 Wildcat after 7 months at the dealer. We went with a Silverback...build quality was night and day compared to the Wildcat.

Do a solid PDI. Look underneath the slides. Underneath the basement. Check all water and electrical connections.

I really like the overal appearance and look of the Wildcat over our Silverback.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cudafb View Post
Wow Thank for all the response! The dealer we are working with is Travel camp in Jax Fl. When we were at the RV show I talked to them about extended warranty and he said why you have a one year and he didn't want to sell extended warranty as he said they aren't worth paper its written on. I asked about FR extra year and said $150 and it covers just like the first year. So far I am happy with this dealer and they are working to help keep this deal as painless as can be. The most important thing is I want to keep my wife happy and this floor plan has much more inside storage then the Silverback.I feel better knowing that others have traded a fairly new camper in and we are not being foolish. Tomorrow is the big day! I will let y'all know how it goes. Thanks Bill
67cudafb, your a smart man, that's all that is needed to say.....Good Luck and safe travels...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

Big Mistake? Silverback vs Wildcat

I'm not familiar with either unit. I am familiar with your statement about wanting to keep the wife happy. Just go with what she wants. That will be the smart decision!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #17

Done deal

Well done deal! We are proud owner of a mk333 wildcat!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	70963
Old 03-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #18

More picsClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	70964
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
Campfire Master

Looks great! Both of our Wildcats have been mostly trouble free. The current one just needed a slide adjustment that the dealer took care of right away. Hope you have many years of fun with it.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #20

Nice looking rig and set up.

Congrats and enjoy.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, wildcat