Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Black Water Gate Valve Issue

My first trip of the season was fantastic, but ended up serving me up with an bad situation at the dump station. I am a 30 year RV camping-vet and my rig is a 2011 Wildcat Sterling Fifth Wheel Series M-32RL.

It began as the usual crappy job at he dump portal. I got everything all ready and pulled the black water lever (cable) - and when doing so, it first had acted like it was clogged with half the waste coming out and the other was coming out from my underbelly (liquid only). So, I quickly closed it, turned on the water to the clean out valve to fill it a bit as it wasn't close to being full (my bad). After getting the tank 2/3 full I pulled the lever again, this time much better force, where 2/3 of the waste was coming out the proper end, but still had waste water coming from the underbelly (right at the vicinity of the 3" pipe). So, my question is, even if the gate valve is bad, why is it shutting perfectly and not leaking until I open? It (cable) seems to be pulling out the same distance as before, so where would the leak be at? There has been no damage under there, but it was the first trip of the season.

Any thoughts out there? Just want to make sure that it isn't something I can handle myself before taking it in for service - as I wouldn't get the RV back until mid-July (let alone costing me some major bucks to repair)...
COsimpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Would guess you have a leak on the dump side of the valve.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Would guess you have a leak on the dump side of the valve.
X2. Bet there is a crack in the discharge line or on the dump side of the gate valve. Maybe you will get lucky and find that one of the 4 bolts that holds the valve is missing or loose.

Going to have to actually look at it to find out. I have been there...with full tanks...

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #4

As said before... It is most likely the gate valve housing.... loose or missing bolts would certainly make for a leak.

Perhaps the cable is pulling the valve rod at an angle and may have cracked the valve housing (?)

If you are able to open up the under belly at that location and examine the valve... you may just be able to save yourself a lot of money...plus continue to use your rig this season.

Good luck let us know how you make out.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, valve, water