Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Cable switch

Just picked our. 2017 Wildcat 327RE . Tried to find the switch to change from cable to antena . It's not where the dealer says it was . Any ideas where it is. Thanks
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It is typically near the main TV and looks something like the following...
To switch from antenna to cable you press the little button.
When the LED light is on (sometimes red/green ore even blue) the antenna is selected and the antenna booster is on. When the light is not illuminated, it is on cable. The switching is done inside the wall plate.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #3

Check the menu on the TV itself. Select cable or antenna and then run scan to scan in local channels. If you are on cable, turn antenna booster off. It may also say "Air" or "Cable"
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks for your help . My wife found it in the cabinet with the DVDs behind the electrical outlet .
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Congrats, we have a 2017 327 RE also. We got it a month ago and love it so far. I haven't had to look for that switch yet, we haven't used it with cable or satellite yet. I will have to go look in that cabinet now and see if we have one back there. I can say the antenna works really well.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It is typically near the main TV and looks something like the following...
To switch from antenna to cable you press the little button.
When the LED light is on (sometimes red/green ore even blue) the antenna is selected and the antenna booster is on. When the light is not illuminated, it is on cable. The switching is done inside the wall plate.

That's really incorrect; not right at all. You don't switch the booster on and off for cable. Your coax has to be hooked up to the top one to get cable; (of course you need to be hooked up to the corresponding cable/aux connector on the outside of the RV) then you go through the scan process on your TV for cable. The bottom one is strictly over-the-air antenna. When you are hooked up to the bottom- TV input- you want the booster on. No other time. There is no switching going on behind the plate. I guess there could be a splitter behind there, but I don't know how it would know whether you're on cable or OTA. Also, that bottom picture of a plate- that is strictly for over-the-air TV. No cable.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
That's really incorrect; not right at all. You don't switch the booster on and off for cable. Your coax has to be hooked up to the top one to get cable; (of course you need to be hooked up to the corresponding cable/aux connector on the outside of the RV) then you go through the scan process on your TV for cable. The bottom one is strictly over-the-air antenna. When you are hooked up to the bottom- TV input- you want the booster on. No other time. There is no switching going on behind the plate. I guess there could be a splitter behind there, but I don't know how it would know whether you're on cable or OTA. Also, that bottom picture of a plate- that is strictly for over-the-air TV. No cable.

The way 5picker described it is how mine works. The top was/is for satellite only. The bottom was/is for cable or over the air. Booster on for antenna, booster off for cable.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

tdst51... I'm sorry you are misinformed about how the antenna booster/selector switch operates. I will try to help you understand with my comments and links below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
That's really incorrect; not right at all. You don't switch the booster on and off for cable.
Sorry but yes... you DO switch the booster on and off for cable.
There are several coax wires that connect to the back of the booster. (behind the wall plate)
One comes in from the roof top antenna and another one comes in from the outside cable connection. When you switch the booster on or off it selects between the two. The front of the wall plate has just one connection to the TV. By switching the booster off or on, (and internally selecting antenna or cable) it keeps you from having to swap the coax connection to your TV to get antenna or cable. One wire between the booster and the TV is all that is necessary to get either. (and of course, the switch also turns on the booster part to provide better OTA signal)

Here's a short video describing the process for using the booster that I found on the internet.

Quote:
Your coax has to be hooked up to the top one to get cable; (of course you need to be hooked up to the corresponding cable/aux connector on the outside of the RV) then you go through the scan process on your TV for cable.
With this comment, you are referring to the first photo in my previous post. Your statement is partially correct. You could use the top connection (marked AUX/SAT in the photo in my original post) to provide a path for the cable signal but again, you would need to swap wires from the wall plate to the TV if you wanted to use the OTA antenna AND you would need to be sure you connected the park's cable feed to the outlet on the outside of your unit to the connection marked AUX/SAT and NOT the one marked cable. That is just way too inconvenient and much too confusing for most folks. I referenced the first photo because most of the newer RV's are now including satellite connections and this wall plate has provisions for that, where as the the older style boosters (2nd photo in my previous post) do not. They will not pass satellite signals.

Quote:
The bottom one is strictly over-the-air antenna. When you are hooked up to the bottom- TV input- you want the booster on. No other time.
Simply not correct.
Please refer to my comments above (and video) about how the booster operates.
ON for OTA... OFF for cable.

Quote:
There is no switching going on behind the plate. I guess there could be a splitter behind there, but I don't know how it would know whether you're on cable or OTA. Also, that bottom picture of a plate- that is strictly for over-the-air TV. No cable.
Oh but there IS switching going on behind the wall plate.
There is also a splitter behind there that usually goes to the bedroom outlet but that really isn't what we are discussing here.
These things are all built into the wall plate unit.
**HERE** is the link to the installation manual for a booster antenna and wall plate from Winegard.
Read it and pay close attention to step # 13 on page 3.
It will help you understand how the cables attach to the back of the wall plate, how the booster operates and how it knows whether you are on cable or OTA antenna.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

Actually, the "booster" is located within the antenna. The switch only supplies 12 volts to the antenna circuitry. However, that switch plate is a sort of splitter and that 12 volts is applied universally and that is why the switch needs to be off for park cable viewing. Of course if one disconnects the park cable from that panel and reroutes it the switch wouldn't matter.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, switch