Old 02-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #1

Dumb Question 2016 295rsx Wildcat

I am planning on taking it on a trip in 2 weeks and was asked if it was a all season and heck if I know lol. Does anyone know? Just figuring out my trip.

I know I dont have tank heaters that I can see.
thanks
Mike

Juniorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #2

There are not a lot of rigs that are 'all season'. Where are you going?

Tank heaters aren't going to keep the pex pipes in the walls from freezing. A little more information would help us help you figure out what you need to do.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorz View Post
I am planning on taking it on a trip in 2 weeks and was asked if it was a all season and heck if I know lol. Does anyone know? Just figuring out my trip.

I know I dont have tank heaters that I can see.
thanks
Mike
No, your Wildcat is not a true "All Season" rig. At best, it's a 3 season RV.
There are very few manufacturers of 4 season RVs. Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV are. Both companies are under Northwoods Manufacturing, in Oregon.
Looking at a 2016 Wildcat brochure, it shows a heated underbelly. Is it a Midwest-made Wildcat or a West Coast-made Wildcat Maxx?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:18 AM   #4

Going to Kansas City. I guess if I keep the heaters on and put a space heater pointing under the fridge to heat the pump area and valves that would help. Not sure what other people do when its cold out.

Its not a Maxx that I am aware of.

Figured when I got home I can re winterize it or blow out the lines.

thanks
Juniorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Opening inside cabinets and access panels to areas containing plumbing is a good idea. Also make sure your onboard propane heater comes on occasionally as that is how the underbelly and basement areas are heated.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
No, your Wildcat is not a true "All Season" rig. At best, it's a 3 season RV.
There are very few manufacturers of 4 season RVs. Arctic Fox and Outdoors RV are.
Oliver is also a 4 season manufacturer.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #7
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorz View Post
Going to Kansas City. I guess if I keep the heaters on and put a space heater pointing under the fridge to heat the pump area and valves that would help. Not sure what other people do when its cold out.

Its not a Maxx that I am aware of.

Figured when I got home I can re winterize it or blow out the lines.

thanks
Leaving the trailer home and go to Florida
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
Site Team

I have a 2015 295RSX which has an Arctic Package decal outside near the door. Mine has heating pads on all tanks with a single switch added on above my inside switch panel. I've seen all my pads when I had my coroplast bottom panel dropped for a repair... but, as has been said, they don't protect the valves unless they warm the tank contents enough to prevent freezing near the valves. I do have a furnace duct turned down into the belly.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 14; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
TGR

Using the furnace will put a lot of heat under your 5th wheel and keep the tanks and valves warmer than using space heaters inside your trailer. I've used my trailer with temperatures in the teens without any problems. My unit has tank heaters but I think the most benefit comes from the furnace putting heat into the underside of your trailer.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Not a dumb question at all, Juniorz. I'll pile on with the the other posts that you're safe viewing your Wildcat as three season. I camped in Vermont last fall with temps dipping into the low 30s for a few night, but I wouldn't trust it for an extended amount of time. I'd check some past almanacs about average late winter-early spring temps in the KC area just to get an idea of what to expect. Weather's been weird this year, though.

Another thought is how you'll manage water supply from the campground faucet--heated hose perhaps?

For those who posted about having the furnace ducted into the underbelly area, could you comment on how you do that?Thanks! Safe travels, Juniorz!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #11

In my case, there is no heater ducting that is dedicated to the enclosed underbelly (blowing warm air directly into it). The existing ducts run the length of the RV, under the floor, to hook up with the floor vents. All plumbing runs close to these ducts. Enough indirect heat comes from these ducts to keep the underbelly and plumbing from freezing.
So that's why it is important that the ducted onboard propane heater runs occasionally.
We use our RV for weeks at a time in sub 20 temps. Even at hookups we will use the fresh tank and pump.
Our on demand water heater will auto cycle when the temps drop. It pulls from the fresh tank, through the on demand, and back to the fresh tank to keep from freezing. They call the option a WUD. Winter use device.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #12
TGR

My unit came with heat ducted into the underbelly. I believe that is the case for all Wildcats with the BAL frame. The brochure for 2015 5th-wheel units says: "-Fully Enclosed, Actively Heated and Insulated Underbelly and Valves," "Duct Heated Holding Tanks (Active vs. Passive Heating in Competition)" and "Insulated and Heated Full Pass-Through Storage" as a standard feature. I have the 12 V heated tank warmers too but that was an option.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #13

I have a 2016 Wildcat 28rlx and I have used it many times in n temperatures in the teens while hunting in October and November in the Rockies. I keep the heater set at about 65, open the cabinet doors the the kitchen and bathroom sinks and have at least one extra bottle of propane in case I run out in the middle of the night. I go through a bottle of propane every other day if it is running all day and night. If I am at a campground, I will place a space heater by the water pump in the basement area just as a precaution. We also use a space heater in the bedroom because it does get a little cold in those temperatures.

Several times the kitchen sink line has frozen over night but the bathroom never has. The kitchen usually freezes when I forget to open the cabinet.

I would be more worried about towing the camper if there is snow and ice. Cost of gas and propane, might be cheaper to get a hotel or Airbnb.

Good luck.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #14

I have a sticker on the side of my camper that says extended season. Between that and the cheap belly liner It makes me sleep better at night. (sarcasm) Most of these packages are nothing but marketing ploys.

Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
295, cat, wildcat