Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Dumping Valves Questions

Hi All,
I bought a used 2009 Wildcat 31LSBS. Life got in the way and I've only gotten out once so far so I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the rig. I've downloaded the manuals, or should I say, Sales Brochures, but haven't found much information.

I had to use the dumping station on the way out and thought I could tell which valve did what by the amount of liquid that would come out. I don't think the previous owners emptied the tanks.. there was WAY too much in all of them for the 1.5 day's I used the camper.

I'm trying to figure out which valve is for what holding tank. There's a Black, Fresh and Gray water tank. I know what the words mean but the stickers on the camper say Sewer or Sewage. I don't want to dump the wrong thing in to a Gray water site. Does anyone know which valve releases which tank, Black, Galley and Gray? (assuming the Galley is the Kitchen sink only, Gray is shower and bathroom sink and Black is toilet).

Thanks in advance!
Daren

image with details below

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
darencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #2

The gray and the black tanks both get dumped into a sanitary drain at the RV park, some large fuel stops, or even some rest areas. To be sure you actually know which is which, get a CLEAR elbow for the end of your drain hose, the end that empties into the sanitary sewer. As soon as you pull the first handle you'll have no doubt which is which. Typically the BLACK is drained first followed by the GRAY which helps cleans the drain hose. A final rinsing with the hose at the dump station will help keep it clean and odor free between dumps.

PS- if your holding tanks were "full" for as long as you suggest, they are in need of some major cleaning. There are extender tips the fasten to a hose that can be put down the toilet and directed around the tank with copious amounts of water ( be sure the black valve is OPEN while performing this activity. Gray and fresh water tanks need chemical treatments too!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

True, both black and gray go to the same place.
A clear elbow is helpful if you have separate outlets, however if they are plumbed into one drain, perhaps an easier solution is to empty all your tanks. Then fill the black by letting water run into the toilet. after a couple minutes, open the valves until you find the one that lets out the water you put in the black tank. After emptying that, do the same for the shower, kitchen sink, etc. Your fresh tank shouldn't have a valve per se, but a drain cock coming out the bottom which will not be the same type of valve as your black and grey tanks.

For your tank treatment, in addition to the normal enzyme chemicals, get some calgon (water softening treatment) and put a couple capfulls down each drain into your holding tanks when empty (not into your fresh tank). The calgon is a surfactant that helps keep the hard water from calcifying in your tanks.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

thanks guys. all good suggestions. I will try the calgon suggestions. I was hoping someone would know which valve did what so I could do some safe rinsing of gray tanks at home as life has hit full force and I probably won't get out camping until July. :-(

This camper has the built in blackwater tank 'flusher'.. which I'm very happy to have so I don't have to use the wand.. though I'll keep the wand for backup.. just in case. :-) I wasn't able to do any rinsing last time out because the campground told me the dumping station was open but didn't tell me the faucet wasn't turned on. little details.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Do you see any stickers that say "BODY WASTE"? That is the black tank.
Are there two handles to pull to release the water in the tanks? Are the handles colored black and gray? Mine are.

Do you have a picture of the outside of your RV showing the dump valves?
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Nothing that says, Body Waste. the handles all look the same color to me, black. I like the color coded idea though!

I messed up on adding the picture in the original post so added a link. .

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing

it's small at first but if you click on it, it will enlarge.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

On our 282RK, the galley tank is in the rear of the trailer and the dump handle comes out under the slide opposite the kitchen, so that one's real easy. If you have 3 waste tanks (1 black & 2 gray) the galley tank should have it's own outlet and handle which would be easy to determine. The other 2 could be tricky, although since you have the black tank cleaners, turn them on and listen to where the noise is and the handle nearest that discharge will be for the black tank.
Worth a try anyway.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve