Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 PM   #21

I moved to the southern coast of NC from up north. Now I still head to FL for the winter. If I want to see cold and snow there is always the weather channel.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #22

Towed a 12 ft trailer over a pass east of Taos in November '77 with a 4wd '76 Ford Bronco. Not fun. Trailer didn't have brakes and I had chains on the front wheels of the Bronco. The pass was snowpacked. I made it across but was so tense I could barely move. Never again. I will park in snow.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
I travel the speed in my 7000 LB trailer that is warranted for conditions. Unless it is a white out you will find most northerners know how to travel in snow/ice.

You presume towing a corn or bean head is an SMV. You presume incorrectly unless it is being towed by the Combine or Tractor.

I frequently to those apparatus with my truck at 40-60mph in the snow.

Please do not assume you have any clue what chains/cables will do on a TT or other such until you have done so. God bless
Not trying to be disrespectful. I grew up in the upper Midwest and had a career in law enforcement. I was out in the elements when people were told to stay off the roads. I have driven RVs in snow storms, on black ice and ice conditions as far South as Atlanta, so I am not assuming anything. But when caught in those conditions, we pulled off. When truckers are warning other truckers to get off the roads, it's time to take heed.

I have also pulled farm equipment. I stand with the statement that discretion is the better part of valour. Can we agree to disagree?
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #24

I guess I am qualified to chime in here.
1. Park the trailer when the roads get iffy, it is no fun watching your trailer in the rear view mirror trying to pass you- yes I've been there with a 36' gooseneck at 3 in the morning.
2. Put a good set of winter tires on the truck, talk to friends and neighbors what they prefer (I like Goodyear Duratrac for winter driving but they're not the best for towing).
3. If you must drive in snowy and/or icy conditions get a set of synthetic chains for the truck and the front axle of the trailer, you don't need steel chains, and practice putting them on.
4. If things get "sticky" always be prepared to apply the trailer brakes manually before you apply the truck brakes.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #25

Every situation is different. I wouldn't go out on the road if it was snowing but there are times when sudden winter storms catch a lot of people already on the road. Weather forecasts aren't accurate at all when the weather's unstable.

The key is to be prepared so you can at least get off the road to a spot you can hunker down for the remainder of the storm.

"Cable Chains" are a good tool to have if you are towing your trailer. Properly installed (without rubber tighteners) and they won't harm a trailer tire but they will provide just enough drag on the trailer when moving on a snowy road to keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle. It works even if brakes aren't applied.

Some drivers know how to deal with winter conditions and some don't. Those that don't, make sure you never get caught in a snow storm on the road. For those that do, just do what you normally do but watch out for those that don't.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Every situation is different. I wouldn't go out on the road if it was snowing but there are times when sudden winter storms catch a lot of people already on the road. Weather forecasts aren't accurate at all when the weather's unstable.

The key is to be prepared so you can at least get off the road to a spot you can hunker down for the remainder of the storm.

"Cable Chains" are a good tool to have if you are towing your trailer. Properly installed (without rubber tighteners) and they won't harm a trailer tire but they will provide just enough drag on the trailer when moving on a snowy road to keep the trailer behind the tow vehicle. It works even if brakes aren't applied.

Some drivers know how to deal with winter conditions and some don't. Those that don't, make sure you never get caught in a snow storm on the road. For those that do, just do what you normally do but watch out for those that don't.
This is so true and half of those who think they know end up in the ditch or worse because they are ignorant of the conditions and put themselves and others at risk.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #27

Drove truck 43 yrs. Refused to chain and never chained. When it's that bad it's time to stop and sit. My truck and trailer is worth 160,000 I don't need to put it in the ditch.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
This is so true and half of those who think they know end up in the ditch or worse because they are ignorant of the conditions and put themselves and others at risk.
Mostly because they are too "proud" to drive 25 mph or less with all us "old folks" OR they figure that their 4wd drive will overcome any and all adverse conditions. Then reality (along with their trailer) comes along and gives them a wake-up "SMACK".

Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
I have also pulled farm equipment. I stand with the statement that discretion is the better part of valour. Can we agree to disagree?
Yes you bet I am also retired law enforcement 26 years. I agree when the truckers are saying stay off the road then it is time to park. But heavy/general snow & ice are a part of life.

And ice storm is a whole other ballgame then it is time to park. 4x4 & chains does not mean diddly in ice even with cables unless traveling incredibly slow.

God bless
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #30

I can't speak for others but my comments are based around those who suddenly find themselves in snow and are methods I've employed to merely get me to a safe area to weather the rest of the storm.

Alongside a snow covered road is not a safe place and sometimes it occurs when you are already ON the road.

I remember one trip where I was driving across the State in cool summer weather. Started up the main mountain pass and suddenly I, and everyone around me, found ourselves in a heavy snow storm. Even the highway department was caught with their pants down.

Sometimes you just do what you have to do and being prepared with the necessary equipment makes it possible to get to safety rather than sitting in the road waiting to be tomorrow mornings news report.

Tags
winter