Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Experience with Wildcat 282rkx 5th wheel

I am considering the purchase of a 2014 wildcat 282rkx 5th wheel trailer. I would like to hear from anybody who has one. I am looking for what you like, do not like, and what you have added to the trailer if anything.
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Morning jchild,

I can't answer your question directly, as we just purchased our Wildcat. One of the things that sold me was the number of Wildcat RVs on the road. Seems I read somewhere that it was the best selling product line Forest River offers. I did do plenty of research on line in the beginning only to read enough negative that I changed my mind on purchasing a Wildcat. But, after more indepth research and talking with WC owners I started to feel more at ease with my decision to go forward with a WC.

There are tons of horror stories out there on just about every make, model and brand RV offered. However keep in mind that people that are happy don't take the time to brag on how thrilled they are with there individual choice.

Yet those who don't receive the level of expectations expected will take the time to preach to any who will listen. Or even preach or post on the internet even if on one listens or reads their post. But, they do get to let off some steam.

My suggestion would be to find the floor plan you like with in your budget and do the deed. Keep in mind that RVs are assembled by man and quality control is not going to catch everything. There is a reason you receive a warranty, so if you need to use it, do so, then move on being a happy camper.

I would also suggest doing so ASAP over the slow sell season for RVs. There was a recent article in USA Today on RV sales. Seems this upcoming year manufactures are on target to sell over 300,000 units, the most sold since the economic collapse a few years back. As production ramps up to meet demand quality control may suffer slightly. As demand rised later in the spring as camping season approaches price will certainly begin to go up.

This may by your best time to jump on board.

Good Luck, let us know how things go.
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum from Dawsonville, Georgia!
2017 Ford F350 PSD
GlenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #4

I have a 2013 282RKX, we love it. With any new thing it has a few bugs in it that we are working out, but over all it has been a great RV so far. My wife and I looked at a lot of campers but this one had all that we wanted.
Not to crazy about the japan tires in it, bed reviews, lots of early milgage blow outs. I plan on removing them soon. I got the 1 year extend warranty also. Peace of mind I guess.
Modified the bed with thicker and longer plywood to accommodate a full queen size bed. Under the bed placed 2x2 4-5 inch wooden supports by the hinge, felt like bed fell in with out them.
Good luck with yours

RV there yet!
Tim966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. My wife and I have also looked at a number 5th wheels and find the 282 the best fit for us so far. Interesting comment about the tires. I haven't heard anything about them. What is the make of the tires?
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Site Team

My last 5er was a 2010 wildcat 29rlbs. I ordered it with upgraded 16" E-range tires. They all failed within 5000 miles, 3 were blowouts, 1 had tread separation. First blow out was less than 1500 miles.
They were Chinese made trail express. Loved the wildcat but hated the tires and the $5000 + damage they caused. Just watch for early cracking between the treads.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
want a Cat 293REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim966 View Post
I have a 2013 282RKX, we love it. With any new thing it has a few bugs in it that we are working out, but over all it has been a great RV so far. My wife and I looked at a lot of campers but this one had all that we wanted.
Not to crazy about the japan tires in it, bed reviews, lots of early milgage blow outs. I plan on removing them soon. I got the 1 year extend warranty also. Peace of mind I guess.
Modified the bed with thicker and longer plywood to accommodate a full queen size bed. Under the bed placed 2x2 4-5 inch wooden supports by the hinge, felt like bed fell in with out them.
Good luck with yours
We are looking at a Wildcat also to upgrade from our 21FBRS TT - and would love this model, but have heard negative things about a rear kitchen. Would you be so kind as to provide any feedback on the kitchen? weight, things shifting, how the fiver rides with a rear kitchen? My mind would be made up if I weren't concerned about the weight distribution issue. I cannot seem to get past this, other than this, we would have a deposit down!

Thank you so much for your feedback, comments and thoughts from a newbie RVer from cold NH!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Boatless. I researched every rear kitchen on the market, all had some issue with weight. We use plastic everything, plates , cups, knives, forks, you get it. You will have things jump around in the cabinets we use packing air pads and pool noodles work well. Get creative. We are keeping the max air pressure in our japan tires, check when cold before you head out.
The past 10 trips we have had no issue with towing or issues with weight. I do drain all tanks of unnecessary water, hot and cold before I leave a site.
Also I did take the rear spare tire off and mounted it under the front cargo area. 2014 are mounted in the same way.

RV there yet!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #9

Love our 282RKX

I know I'm jumping in here late, but just found this forum. We purchased our 2012 282RKS in August of 2012. We love it. We have no problems with things bouncing around in the rear. I did purchase a roll of rubber mat for the kitchen cupboards. No issue with dishes falling out when we open the doors, although I do open them slowly the first time after setting up, just in case. I would do the same no matter where my kitchen was located. My last 5th wheel was a rear kitchen also. We had that for 14 years, and had no issues with that one either. I love the floor plan of the 282rkx, and the past two summers have been great in it.
282RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

282RKS, I posted a piece about the shackles and springs on wildcat forum. might join that web site also. its a good one. Its on the install of the Dexter Axle E-Z Flex kit, A must to install.

RV there yet!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #11

Thanks Tim966. I am a member of the Wildcat Forum...I will check out your thread.

PS...I have a typo in my "name". I put 282RKS instead of X for the model #. Oh well...
282RKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #12

We own a Wildcat 24RG ( 29', rear kitchen) and luv it. Because we live in Iowa and have the Wildcat parked in Seattle, we've decided to buy a 28RKX ( same floor plan as the 282RKX) to park in Texas for our Snowbird trips. It's a terrific floor plan and we'll be making the purchase next Spring. I know the units are made in different factories so that's something I can't comment on. Our 24RG Wildcat Maxx has been very reliable, hence the reason we're buying a second Wildcat.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #13

A few annoyances but love our 282RKX

For the most part, we love our Wildcat 282RKX. There are a few annoyances though.
-Can't get into the fridge unless the slideout is extended.
-Even when the slideout is extended, the pantry cupboard door won't open all the way.
-The fridge is on the right side of the stove. If you are right-handed, it makes cooking really difficult.
-Have to manually light the pilot for the oven even though the burners have a pizzio ignition.
-Only two drawers in the cabinet under the sink. There are three drawers in the "L" part of the cabinet but you have to open the cabinet door to get to them. They are small as well.
-No place to put our satellite receiver. For now it sits on the floor in front of the Ent center.
-Only one 12v outlet and it is in the bedroom on the side of the medicine cabinet. There should be at least one in the ent. center.
-Getting into bed on the right side is next to impossible because the bed is too close to the sliding closet doors. Getting into the left side of the closet is next to impossible for the same reason.
-No nightstand on the left side of the bed which means there is no place for my wife to put her glasses and a drink.
-No furnace vent in the toilet room. Which means the toilet seat is close to freezing if you have to use it in the middle of the night.
-Drawer under the couch won't stay closed while traveling.
-We opted for two rocker/recliners instead of the stock rocking chairs or J-couch. The recliners are not that comfortable (headrest is too big) and are too big for the area that they are in.
-We are constantly having to replace fuses for the landing gear and rear stabalizers.
-If you turn the porch light on with the remote, you can't turn it off from the control panel.
-Lots of nails from the carpet tack strip poke through the carpet. Walking barefoot is like walking through a mine field.

The list sounds long but keep in mind these are just annoyances. We love our 282RKX. The things we like about it far outweigh the annoyances.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #14

We have a 2014 282RKX that we pick up about 4 weeks ago and had used it only twice. No problem with the kitchen as for things moving around just pack it tight and used rubber underlay on the shelves. We have the L-shape sofa which gives us more storage for things like water and extra appliances. Over all we love it. Just one problem that we are having is bucking on uneven roads. Need to adjust the weight and the dealer is going to make some adjustment with the pin. Looking forward to more camping next year.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cat, wheel, wildcat