Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

first 50 amp rig

Can you run both AC units on a 30 amp hookup if nothing else is on?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Probably not
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

I didn't think so. Figured the start up draw would pretty much kill the breaker for both units to run. Thought someone might have tried.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:18 AM   #4

Being an electrician, I need a better understanding of the problem. Your title says "First 50 amp rig" but you are asking about a 30 amp hookup If you're trying to run 2 A/C's in your 50 amp coach on a 30 amp hookup the probably won't run. Each one draws close to 20 amps each. Add in some low voltage like the park I stay in and you're done.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkPreacher View Post
I didn't think so. Figured the start up draw would pretty much kill the breaker for both units to run. Thought someone might have tried.

Thank you for the reply.
It wouldn't be really recommended to run both on a 30 amp power supply, for the reasons stated previously.

Just a little addendum in case you may not be aware, is that although you state nothing else is on (assuming you mean 120 volt AC items), there is one thing that often gets forgotten about, and that is the converters AC draw.

If the converter is recharging your battery, or depending on how many 12 volt DC items you are using...depends on how many 120 volt AC amps the converter is consuming. Remember that the converter is taking 120 volt AC and converting it to 12 volt DC.

The converter is often forgotten about, since you don't really see it....but it is using 120 volt AC amps.

This link may help too, for those reading this thread:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

------------------------------------------------------

One more addendum, but you may already be aware of. A 50 amp outlet is powered by a 120/240 volt split phase service. What this means is that there are TWO 120 volt legs coming into your RV, with each leg at 50 amps. These means in reality you have a total of 100 amps to your RV, as opposed to a total of 30 amps when connected to 30 amp power outlets.

This 120/240 volt "split phase" service confuses a lot of campers too.

This link explains it better, and also explains the adapter you are using to connect a 50 amp RV to a 30 amp outlet.

Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp

----------------------------------------

I know I know, you are probably thinking "Dang wmtire, all I asked is if you can run two air conditioners, and nothing about an electrical course"

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

Thank you all for your explanations. Much appreciated.

Have a blessed day!
OzarkPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Taking into consideration all that has been said so far, I had Sierra 365 5th wheel with 13.5k and 15k ACs. I was able to run both on a 30 amp service as long as the voltage was 115-120. I had a EMS and the total running amps with both ACs and anthing else that may have been on (minimal) was around 28. This wasn't just a one time thing, as my seasonal site was only a 30amp site. If the voltage dropped below the threshold, it would likely kick the breaker. These ACs were unaltered also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

----------------------------------------

I know I know, you are probably thinking "Dang wmtire, all I asked is if you can run two air conditioners, and nothing about an electrical course"
Well, that's OK. We all learn a lot from replies like yours. It's much better to understand why something can or can't be done.

But, I will remember not to ask what time it is because you'll probably post seven paragraphs with four links describing how to build a watch. 😊
Old 10-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
But, I will remember not to ask what time it is because you'll probably post seven paragraphs with four links describing how to build a watch. 😊
LOL!!!! Now that is funny.... Thanks for the morning laugh
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Yes, you can. I've done it many times. Assuming you have one 13.5 and a 15. Run both fans on low, and make sure water heater and fridge are on gas. Keep in mind that you will be pulling in the 26-28 amp range, so any extra load can trip the breaker. For example, if the batteries aren't fully charged and the converter is attempting to charge them, you could trip the breaker. Or if you attempt to run non-LED lighting. Keep in mind that a short burst of over 30A load will not trip a 30A breaker, unless it's faulty. Also, as someone else mentioned, if voltage drops too low, amperage will increase over 30 and eventually trip the breaker as well.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkPreacher View Post
Can you run both AC units on a 30 amp hookup if nothing else is on?

Thanks in advance

A 50 amp rig plugged into a 30 amp pedestal means you have a 30 amp rig.

My EMS shows around 14 amps while running one ac. If nothing else were running, you could try it. I believe I have ran two on my rig plugged into a 30 amp pedestal. All that will happen is you pop the breaker. No harm.

With regard to voltage drop... if the campground has scetchy infrastructure (many do), you are going to have an issue whether or not you try to run both ac units. Drawing 15 amps or 30 isn't going to change much. Also, running two ac units at 28 amps isn't taxing things more than one ac unit plus other stuff that approach 30 amps in total.

An EMS is a valuable tool to have.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #12

Thank you again for all the thoughtful replies. A lot of good information. Yes, I was aware of much of it but never hurts to be reminded.

You guys rock!
OzarkPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Being an electrician, I need a better understanding of the problem. Your title says "First 50 amp rig" but you are asking about a 30 amp hookup If you're trying to run 2 A/C's in your 50 amp coach on a 30 amp hookup the probably won't run. Each one draws close to 20 amps each. Add in some low voltage like the park I stay in and you're done.
Converter/charger is active when plugged into outlet. It draws "approximately" 6-7 amp's, per a Jayco electrical engineer I dealt with on a electrical problem. Add this to the electric demand for two AC's and you will trip a 30 amp breaker.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
Converter/charger is active when plugged into outlet. It draws "approximately" 6-7 amp's, per a Jayco electrical engineer I dealt with on a electrical problem. Add this to the electric demand for two AC's and you will trip a 30 amp breaker.

Unless the batteries are low, the converter doesn't draw much. My EMS shows 0 to 2 amps until heavy charging. Plus, you can turn it off if needed to cool down the coach.

I have run two ac units on a 30 amp pedestal without issue. Just have to manage your consumption.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by l001952119 View Post
This is inaccurate. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and monitor amperage draw. And I've run 2 A/C's on many occasions on a 30A circuit. Maybe the converter is capable of pulling that much amperage for the 12V circuitry, but in normal circumstances it won't.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This is inaccurate. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and monitor amperage draw. And I've run 2 A/C's on many occasions on a 30A circuit. Maybe the converter is capable of pulling that much amperage for the 12V circuitry, but in normal circumstances it won't.

Yup. Totally agree.

The converters can draw anywhere from 0 amp to their maximum. All depends of what the need is, which is based on 12 volt devices being used and battery state.

Normally I see between 0 and 2 amps of draw from my converter... which is easily monitored via an EMS.

Tags
50 amp