Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #1

First season with WC 28SGX

Wife and I switched from boating lifestyle to TT lifestyle in the last two years. We purchased a used Cougar 25RET and quickly discovered we wanted more room.

We did a very exhaustive search. Finally traded the F150 for an F250 and started looking at 5th wheels. We wanted a "Couples Coach" with a roomy floorplan. Large window in the back with a low sill that my vertically challenged wife could see out of. I wanted decent under pinnings and only one wet wall. A tall shower with lots of room was a must and an electric fireplace was something we desired. Well no one unit had all of that but the WC we found had all but the low window sill in the back. I screwed some 4x4 cedar blocks to the recliner for my wife and all is perfect now.

We made a couple of trips around our state, Oklahoma, and then did a late in the season trip to Sante Fe and Taos, NM.

This spring we went to Destin, Florida with stops in Mississippi and Louisiana. The unit has been very trouble free so far. Winterized it myself and it survived. At every stop I check tire and drum temperature and it has always been fine. So far I pretty pleased with the unit.

When we set up we use the Andersen leveling blocks to level it up from side to side and then let the autolevel system work its magic.

We use the electric water heater for most of the day but switch on the gas as well for the showers at night. Wife and I can take back to back showers and still have hot water at the end of the second shower doing this.

There have been some minor warranty issues but nothing to fret over.

Have been towing it with a 2016 F250 with 6.7 PS and an Andersen Ultimate Aluminum hitch. Very smooth and easy to use. Love the fact it only takes me about 8 minute to remove and stow the unit so I can use the truck to haul crap that always seems to crop up.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

What advice would you give someone looking at a similar setup

I am looking at a 2017 28SGX with a 2013 F250 PS as the tow vehicle.

I will be using a B&W turnover with the Andersen Ultimate and AirLift bags.

I just sold my TT last week.

What sage advice would you offer such a newbie?

Thank you in advance.
CN
chodenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodenut View Post
I am looking at a 2017 28SGX with a 2013 F250 PS as the tow vehicle.

I will be using a B&W turnover with the Andersen Ultimate and AirLift bags.

I just sold my TT last week.

What sage advice would you offer such a newbie?

Thank you in advance.
CN
We don't tow with much water in the fresh water tank, just enough to use the toilet a few times. I had safety chains installed on the hitch.

Before we use the auto level system we use the Andersen leveling blocks to the the side to side to less than 1 degree. I plug in the shore power before using the auto level.

Typically we seem to be nose high when we get set so I do not lower the legs via the pins very far. This gives lots of "down" ability to the front jacks.

We chock all four wheels. I use a surge suppressor on the electric. We don't extend the slides until unit is level. When I back in the DW makes sure there is room for the slide to come out. We had to move once cause of that.

So far we have been very happy with our unit.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote